Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Sopranos: getting confusing?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-01, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is anyone else getting a bit confused by all the new faces this season. I haven't missed a show since it came on a couple of years ago, but after last night, both my wife and I are bit confused by some of the new people. One of them is a the guy that was the pimp in Risky Business, who the hell is he? There was a dinner scene last night with that guy, paulie, tony, jonny sak (I think) and another guy who I don't know. I think Tony said he is a capo of a crew, but whose crew? Anybody got any answers? I left this kind of vague so there wouldn't be any spoilers...

Dave
Old 03-26-01, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
It is not really that hard to follow. The official website is a good place for episode recaps. http://www.hbo.com/sopranos

Anyway, the guy from Risky Business is Ralph Cifaretto. He basically took over Richie Apriles garbage routes after he was killed. The other guy is Gigi Cestone. (Gigi was in a couple of episodes last year - remember he was the one who whacked Freddy Capuano, the Director of Green Grove, on orders from Tony. Tony had Gigi whack him because he was going around telling people that Tony likes "to fluff his mother's pillows.") Tony named him as new capo (of the Aprile crew), which pissed Ralph off because he thought he was in line to become that capo. Tony passed Ralph over because he was being unnecessarily violent and had started letting Jackie Junior accompany him on collections -- against Tony's express orders.

[Edited by Red Dog on 03-26-01 at 01:32 PM]
Old 03-26-01, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks Red, I liked the old Sopranos web site from last year much better than now. Back then it had a kind of flow chart showing all the characters, who they were related to, etc. Thats how I found out Christopher is actually related to Carmela, not Tony (according to that thing anyway), they also had the FBI notes and some other things to keep informed as to who is what. I also like the appearance of 'Roc' last night, I think we are going to see something from him later on in the season. The previews for next week looked pretty good.

Dave
Old 03-26-01, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
Originally posted by Dave99
I also like the appearance of 'Roc' last night, I think we are going to see something from him later on in the season. The previews for next week looked pretty good.
Dave

I agree. Roc should shake things up a bit. Things look like they start to heat up next week.
Old 03-26-01, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts
I agree that the show is more confusing now. There are way too many characters to follow. Am I really supposed to care what happens to Tony's Uncle's assistant's father? C'mon now. They need to reduce the cast by several members. Let's start with Janice. OK, she's not confusing, but what a b!tch. I thought we got rid of her last year. The storyline with Richie's son is going nowhere, dump it. Also this turf war with Johnny Sac had better heat up soon; I'm having a hard time figuring out who works for Tony and who works for him. Heck, I barely understand the politics in Godfather Part One, and I've seen that film a dozen times. I like the tension that Willow's boyfriend brings, but this week's preview gives me the idea I'm going to really hate that roommate of hers. I used to think that Arnie the chef was a throwaway, but he just shined last night. I hope the wife is gone for good, though. And while I would hate to fire Peter Reigart on the day after he loses an Oscar (for best live action short), his Councelman is totally uninteresting; a sleepwalking cameo. What happened to the involving star turns, like those of John Heard and Robert Patrick of the past two years?
If they're going to add characters left and right (and it sure looks like they are), why not add a smart, driven FBI agent on his tail to be a nemisis for Tony; a Javert to his Valjean? Wouldn't that be a cool angle? I'm so sick of seeing the Government agents being portrayed as imbeciles (I did like the foiling of the wiretap, though).
Old 03-26-01, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I could go for a cool FBI interaction. I liked last season when the agent in charge introduced his new partner to tony on the sidewalk, just a few guys shooting the breeze. That was cool

Dave
Old 03-26-01, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
For a little "clarity" check out the JeffreyWernick.com site. It has a lot of the details the FBI page had last year. It also has new things like weekly web cams from Meadow Soprano.
Old 03-27-01, 03:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Decker
Let's start with Janice. OK, she's not confusing, but what a b!tch. I thought we got rid of her last year. The storyline with Richie's son is going nowhere, dump it.
I think it's important to keep Janice because she's the new "conniving evil bitch" in place of Livia.
Old 03-27-01, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yup, she does a good job as a bitch, I can't stand her character.

Dave
Originally posted by jcaparula
I think it's important to keep Janice because she's the new "conniving evil bitch" in place of Livia.
Old 03-27-01, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,131 Posts
Originally posted by jcaparula
Originally posted by Decker
Let's start with Janice. OK, she's not confusing, but what a b!tch. I thought we got rid of her last year. The storyline with Richie's son is going nowhere, dump it.
agreed!

I think it's cool that that Russian dude smack her in her FAT MOUTH..what a C U Next Tuesday