Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

What swear words can you say on TV and cannot say on TV ?Why?

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

What swear words can you say on TV and cannot say on TV ?Why?

Old 03-19-01, 11:31 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anyone know what swear words you can say on TV and those swear words you cannot say on TV?Why?it ruins so many movies that the swearing had a bigger impact!Like in the end of "Die Hard 2" on TV compared to the video/DVD!!I know there other movies & shows but that is just a example!!
Old 03-19-01, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You mean something like "The Seven Dirty Words?"
Old 03-20-01, 03:52 PM
Banned

Originally posted by DarthMaul420
You mean something like "The Seven Dirty Words?"
Yes and those words you hear in the movie theater run of a movie compared to the edited for TV version of the same movie!
Old 03-20-01, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If it's like radio (and I suspect it is), there is no hard and fast guideline. When I was in college, I was a dj, and when I first got my license to broadcast, I expected to be handed a list of rules and regulations. Truth told, I was not.

There was no "seven dirty words" or anything of the sort. I was simply told not to say anything I wouldn't say in front of my grandmother. The FCC just says that if you broadcast something, it cannot go against the community standards where it is recieved. So, so long as no one complains, you're in the clear. That's why on some radio stations, you'll hear the words ass or damn or sometimes even worse and others you'll hear nothing even remotely offensive. If your 90 year-old grandmother listens to your favorite rock station and hears a word that offends her, and calls the FCC, there will most likely be an investigation. They may rule that nothing was said (no fine), or that something was accidently said (small or no fine), or deliberately said (bigger fine), or that this is a recurring behavior (huge fine, possible suspension of license).

I've always imagined that local broadcast TV holds a higher standard than most because until cable there were few channels, and almost anyone could be watching. But, this also explains why NYPD Blue was able to put nudity on the air. It's not expressly prohibited, but if you offend enough people, you might be punished heavily.
Old 03-20-01, 07:11 PM

"Yippie ki yay Mr. Falcon!"

Okay, here's a related question. Why would somebody bleep out Ash? Anybody ever see Army of Darkness when it plays on the Sci-Fi Channel? "I'm bad *blank* and you're good *blank*!" Ah, my stupidty threshold has reached its limit...
Old 03-20-01, 08:22 PM
Banned

Re:

Originally posted by AmazingColossalPumaMan
Okay, here's a related question. Why would somebody bleep out Ash? Anybody ever see Army of Darkness when it plays on the Sci-Fi Channel? "I'm bad *blank* and you're good *blank*!" Ah, my stupidty threshold has reached its limit...
What's funny about the way I usually end up watching "Die Hard 2" on TV is that line is usually this:"Yippie ki yay my friend".

Sorry you do'nt blow up your friends TV censors and editors!!!Every time they do that line I get a laugh out of it!!