Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

First Years - anybody see it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-01, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone on the East Coast catch the new NBC show First Years tonight?

If you're out west, it's on in 20 minutes.

Post opinions here...
Old 03-19-01, 11:27 PM

I caught about 5 minutes total, and it looked pretty lame. That opening scene with the girl belching was just long and pointless, and I was pretty much annoyed by the cliched use of a bunch of yuppies in a swanky house whose dialogue is always supposed to be so witty and urbane. From the few other moments I caught, I really didn't like the pacing of the show... we'd see 30 seconds of a scene that didn't go anywhere, then 30 seconds of another scene that didn't go anywhere, then return to the first scene, etc.

OK, I guess I'm being a little harsh on the show. To be fair, I should have made myself sit down and watch with undivided attention. Nothing about the show hooked me, though.
Old 03-20-01, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought it was pretty good. <small>It has the dumbass brother from Unhappily Ever After on it!
Old 03-20-01, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I'll stick with Gilmour Girls re-runs.
Old 03-20-01, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Bobubott
OK, I guess I'm being a little harsh on the show. To be fair, I should have made myself sit down and watch with undivided attention. Nothing about the show hooked me, though.
Nope, I watched the entire show and you pretty much got the gist of it -- inane and pointless. It felt like Ally McBeal -- hip quirky characters sleep around and solve cases -- but without the "edge". A failure.
Old 03-20-01, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
What a bunch of crap. My roommate and I are lawyers and we know that first years don't have offices like that (a corner office???) no matter what firm they are working at.

They tried to make a racist black woman who commits murder a sympathetic figure. Sorry - that just doesn't work for me. Also, a major law firm would never send a 1st year associate to handle a case by herself like that (especially one which requires meetings in judges chambers) even if it is a pro bono case.

The dumbass brother from Unhappily Ever After who gets to yell at the partner was actually the only good part of the show.

What they should have made was a TV show based on law school (modeled on Scott Turow's book, One L and like The Paper Chase).

Over/under on number of episodes actually broadcast = 4
Old 03-20-01, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

turned it off with 15 mins to go.. did not like it at all. only stuck with it that long because nothing else was on.