Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Its official WCW cancelled by Turner.

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-01, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Its been rumored, but its now official. Nitro and Thunder have been cancelled permantely by Turner ent. The sale is dead and with out a network its doubtful anyone will buy the WCW. The WWF is the only game in town with ECW also shutting down. The ECW PPV was cancelled and that was about the last straw for them. There is not enough air time to go around, so its doubtful many of the WCW wrestlers will be able to make a name for themselves with the WWF. Goldberg will probable have the best chance. It will be interesting to see if McMahon puts any effort into a monopoly.

[Edited by darkside on 03-19-01 at 10:37 AM]
Old 03-19-01, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How sad. I hope that Fuscient bought the rights to the WCW name and all copyrights. Maybe they will be able to shift WCW to a Fox network. It will truly be sad to think that the WWF will be the only game in town.
Old 03-19-01, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A stipulation for the Fuscient deal was that they be guaranteed air time. With the shows being cancelled Fuscient has backed out. Turner mentioned that other companies may still buy it if some Network picks up the WCW, but considering the cost of the show and how poor the ratings were its doubtful they will survive. The WWF could still potentially buy them. It might work well if the WCW was run as a separate organization, but occasionaly they had matches with the WWF. Imagine the PPVs if the WCW champ wrestled the WWF champ, there is potential there for some great storylines.
Old 03-19-01, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I think it's just a matter of time before someone backs another national wrestling organization. Unfortunately, it will probably be staffed with people whose ideas about wrestling are hopelessly out of date.
Old 03-19-01, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Zoomer
I think it's just a matter of time before someone backs another national wrestling organization.
Rumor has it Jerry Jarrett (Jeff's dad) is close to making an announcement about doing just that.
Old 03-19-01, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WWF won't sign much talent from this. They will probably pick up a few good YOUNG prospects like Lance Storm. Guys like Goldberg have egos that they don't want in the locker room.

On a side note. Fox has been playing with the idea of a wrestling fed for a while. If they are ever going to do it now is the time.
Old 03-20-01, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Actually the WWF is interested in Goldberg the last I heard of it. He was the most popular wrestler in the WCW. I agree that if I was the WWF I would look to pick up mostly young guys with lots of talent.
Old 03-20-01, 10:17 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
i reckon sign Goldberg to a one year deal

do the Austin/Goldberg fantasy feud that everyone wants to see then boot him out !