Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Dark Skies

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-01, 03:50 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I really, REALLY loved this show, and not just because Jeri Ryan was in it. I don't understand why it only got one series. Maybe US networks can't handle intelligent sci-fi. If it had been on the BBC, you knwo they would have made at least 5 series.
Anyhoo, I was wondering if anyone had heard of a DVD release for the series. Anybody?
Old 03-19-01, 08:02 AM

Originally posted by Orson
Maybe US networks can't handle intelligent sci-fi.
Um, no. I think it has more to do with US viewers not being able to handle "intelligent" sci-fi, because almost no one watched Dark Skies. And if you blame NBC for poorly marketing it, I will throw my shoe it you. It was a poorly conceived X-Files rip-off and little more. It's only redeeming quality, besides Jeri Ryan's body, was J.T. Walsh. There was a movement on the Net to bring it back, but nothing came of that. A DVD release seems unlikely.
Old 03-19-01, 02:46 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It was a rip off of the X-files, but not as poorly conceived as this one: The Burning Zone. Remember how the ads would end with the shot zooming in on the Z in Zone and hold there? Like they had one-upped The X-files, because Z is more intense than X (they actually had a voice over to that effect). And then, when it aired, the show was unwatchable!
Old 03-19-01, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
I enjoyed it a whole lot because of the way they tried to fit it all into the historical context with the various different events -- plus they stayed focused on the aliens the whole way through. A little derivative admittedly, but I enjoyed it -- it actually got me interested in the X-Files.

J.T.Walsh was really great, but dang, I never knew that was Jeri Ryan. Weird.

Tuan Jim
Old 03-20-01, 10:51 AM

Originally posted by Tuan Jim
but dang, I never knew that was Jeri Ryan. Weird.

Tuan Jim
The longer hair gave her a different look...also the lack of a skin-tight catsuit. A friend visited her husband who worked on Vovager and saw 7 of 9's catsuit on a hanger. She said it was so tiny that you could hide it behind a piece of notebook paper.

Danny in Yorktown, VA.
Old 03-20-01, 11:27 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Maximi
It was a poorly conceived X-Files rip-off and little more.
Got to disagree. Sure the success of the X-Files made it easier for Dark Skies to get commissioned, but it was a very different show. Apart from Aliens and conspiracy, they had little in common. And I think it was astronger show than X-files (which was brilliant too).