Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Americans: Don't you hate the way they split up your TV serieses?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Americans: Don't you hate the way they split up your TV serieses?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-01, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Like, the way they hardly ever seem to show more than two new episodes of a series in a row before hitting the reruns for a few weeks? Don;t you find that really, REALLY annoying when they're screening a television series? Over here they usually just wait a few weeks to give America a bit of a head-start then show the whole series from start to finish without any reruns in between. Seems like a much better way of doing it to me. Surely it really messes up the continuity of it all when they keep putting a new series on hiatus and showing you repeats of old episodes from the same series?
Old 03-17-01, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

It's not as bad as you describe my foreign Friend.

While we do get some re-runs, its not every other week.

I don't mind because if I miss an episode I know they'll show it again and with some shows (West Wing) I'll just watch the re-run, cause its a great show.

Never really bothered me.
Old 03-17-01, 03:40 PM

No, because the way they split it up helps, plus its not that often. i dont know where you got your facts. Ususally the only big rerun periods are breifly around the holidays (Dec-early Jan) and right before the seasons end (May), and then for three months over the summer. Therefore, you're busy around Christmas/ New Years Eve anyway, then later, you get a nice little break before a show hits its final 4-5 episodes of the season, and then a recap over the summer for those that missed shows. I much prefer a break because it increases anticipation when you arent hammered with 22-24 episodes in a row.

[Edited by coffin_booth on 03-17-01 at 02:17 PM]
Old 03-17-01, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by coffin_booth
No, because the way they split it up helps, plus its not that often (i dont know where you got your facts). Ususally the only big rerun periods are around the holidays and right before the seasons end (May). Therefore, you're busy around Christmas/ New Years Eve anyway, and then later, you get a nice little recap before a show hits its final 4-5 episodes of the season. I much prefer a break because it increases anticipation when you arent hammered with 22-24 episodes in a row.

[Edited by coffin_booth on 03-17-01 at 01:44 PM]
Well, the reason they split up the shows around Christmas/New Year's is that nobody's going to be watching that much television anyway. You got things to do, Christmas is around the corner, etc. Same with start of summer when people start going out more often, and in the summer it's totally rerun season, 'cuz not that many people watch television. So it's not that they're doing it to scr*w us, just that the networks want to put the shows out when they know people will be watching. Personally I don't really care, my TiVo will take care of it all.
Old 03-17-01, 04:23 PM

Originally posted by huzefa
Well, the reason they split up the shows around Christmas/New Year's is that nobody's going to be watching that much television anyway. You got things to do, Christmas is around the corner, etc. Same with start of summer when people start going out more often, and in the summer it's totally rerun season...[/B]
Yes, thats what i said.

TheyCallHimJim, it is a rarity for a major network that "shows more than two new episodes of a series in a row before hitting the reruns for a few weeks" Plus it isnt plausible numberwise, that would mean a season would last over an entire year. Maybe smaller cable stations (most have fewer episodes a season i might add) like Comedy Central will do this, have lots of reruns between new shows, but its almost never the case with the major 4, or 5 newtorks.

[Edited by coffin_booth on 03-17-01 at 02:29 PM]
Old 03-17-01, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Eh, maybe I've got it all wrong. I was just looking at an "Aired Episodes" list for Buffy, and there were re-runs all over the place, two or three in a row in places. Just strikes me as a bit of a sucky way of showing a series, that's all...
Old 03-18-01, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by TheyCallHimJim
Eh, maybe I've got it all wrong. I was just looking at an "Aired Episodes" list for Buffy, and there were re-runs all over the place, two or three in a row in places. Just strikes me as a bit of a sucky way of showing a series, that's all...
Buffy sufferes from a sufferingly heavy mythology so constant re-runs are necessary.

Aside from that, Buffy airs on the WB, which is the worst of the re-run offenders. It practically killed my interest in Buffy and Felicity. The problem with them is that they start there season in early Septemeber to get the jump on the major networks, but they end the season at the same time, thus creating an extra few weeks in their season, while having the same amount of episodes, ie more reruns.
Old 03-18-01, 12:48 PM

Ahhh,...now i see. i'm a Buffy fan too. Buffy usually runs a string of new episodes at the begin and end of its season, with the middle broken up between new shows and reruns. The two reasons for this are, as said, a heavy mythology show needs reruns so people can catch up (thats how i got into buffy) and it is a fx heavy and cinematically directed show, thats doesnt have the budget and time of X-Files. Buffy has to shoot multiple episodes at a time sometimes, because of that (and Gellar's schedule.) There should be a string of new episodes coming up in April-May before the seasons close