Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Review needed: Ben Hur

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-01, 01:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How is it? Please explain...
Old 03-14-01, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Picture quality is AMAZING!
Old 03-14-01, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Outstanding! It makes Gladiator look like a bad film school project.

Here's a great review: LINK
Old 03-14-01, 09:09 PM

Fairly good movie, though I doesn't quite live up to the expectations. The DVD looks and sounds very good, however, and it includes a decent complement of extras. (Nothing to compare to the killer package that is Cleopatra, however - wow!)

Link to my full review:

http://www.dvdmg.com/benhur.html
Old 03-16-01, 09:10 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My DVD is missing a section of the film. When Hur is in the ships captain's quarters, he says something that is garbled. Must have been something non-flattering cause he then gets sent back to the Galley. Anybody else notice or have this same problem?
Old 03-20-01, 06:36 PM

Originally posted by MrVette99
My DVD is missing a section of the film. When Hur is in the ships captain's quarters, he says something that is garbled. Must have been something non-flattering cause he then gets sent back to the Galley. Anybody else notice or have this same problem?
It was "BLEEP you BLEEP apes!"
Old 03-20-01, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by paulel
Originally posted by MrVette99
It was "BLEEP you BLEEP apes!"
What Judah says (in response to Arrius' scoff at Judah's faith in God, that "a sane man would have learned to lose [a sense of purpose] long before.") is, "As you have. What drove it out of you?"

This line is fully intact on the disc. Arrius' rankled reaction was due to the affrontery of such a personal query emanating from a lowly galley slave.
Old 03-20-01, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
This film puts the Wide in Widescreen!
I saw it last night, for the first time in widescreen.
After I finished, I thought, How the HECK could this actually be shown on regular tv?!?!
I have a good sized HDTV so the picture looked awesome,
though there are some points where color did looked fading
out. Still, great movie...the chariot race was awesome!

Neitzl
Old 03-21-01, 10:01 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Sykes
What Judah says (in response to Arrius' scoff at Judah's faith in God, that "a sane man would have learned to lose [a sense of purpose] long before.") is, "As you have. What drove it out of you?"

This line is fully intact on the disc. Arrius' rankled reaction was due to the affrontery of such a personal query emanating from a lowly galley slave. [/B]
Thanks! I suspect my missing/garbled line it due to a change over (i.e. the player's problem). Whatever the reason, missing <3 seconds is acceptable to me in a 3.5 hour long film. And besides by the time I get around to watching this again (years from now) I'll probably have a new player anyways.

Again, Thanks!
Old 03-21-01, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by MrVette99:
Thanks! I suspect my missing/garbled line it due to a change over (i.e. the player's problem). Whatever the reason, missing <3 seconds is acceptable to me in a 3.5 hour long film. And besides by the time I get around to watching this again (years from now) I'll probably have a new player anyways.

Again, Thanks!
Your welcome, but .
Old 03-28-01, 09:22 AM

Damn... This film could have used some more editing. I nearly turned off the audio after the first 20 minutes of the over-produced soundtrack. On and on with the self-important "regal" military music. The movie really doesn't get started until Ben Hur gets arrested. It definately picked up after the galley slave scenes, but there was still a lot of long-winded, stand-around, dialog scenes... Great visuals and was well worth sitting through.

Later, TJ