Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Review Wanted: Best of Hitchcock Boxsets

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Review Wanted: Best of Hitchcock Boxsets

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-01, 04:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Could someone please post a review (or link to a review) of the Best Of Hitchcock boxsets? I know all about the films, but I don't want to shell out $250+ without knowing about the picture quality of the discs, and (if any) extras included.

Thanks,
Foxy.
Old 03-12-01, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here's a review of the AH Presents DVDs:

http://www.dvdfile.com/software/revi...ollection.html

In the paragraph right before the discussion of Video quality, there are also links to reviews of the individual films.

I've been going through these DVDs for the past few days and I have to say that the reviews are pretty accurate. I think that the picture quality of the 4 older releases (Psycho, The Birds, Vertigo, Marnie) is really good. Rear Window is also a great transfer. However, the other films have a slightly rushed feeling to the transfers. It seems like they just took the best masters that they happened to have (for laserdisc or whatever) and put them out without any major remastering.

They certainly aren't unwatchable -- some are very pleasing. But, don't expect to be amazed by the video or audio on these.

The extras are great, though. Every title gets a 30-50 minute documentary plus still frames, storyboards, trailers, etc. The documentaries are great... even the Topaz one with Leonard Maltin, which was a pleasant surprise.

Although I definitely see room for improvement on most of the titles (even Vertigo and Psycho could be fixed -- they aren't 16x9 enhanced), I'm not upset at the $225 I paid for the 2 boxes at http://www.twec.com with coupon.