Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > Key Thread Archive
Reload this Page >

One and Only ANIME Discussion Thread

One and Only ANIME Discussion Thread

Old 03-08-01, 03:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Please feel free to use this thread to discuss Anime in general or ask specific questions about certain films. You are more likely to get your questions answered and your posts read if you put them here. Those who are interested in Anime can simply keep up with one thread instead of hunting around for anime related threads.

Also feel free to check out the Guide to Anime at this link:
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...threadid=88502
Feel free to contribute as well.

This system of having these two threads worked great a few months ago. Here's the link to Part 2 of the thread. Part 1 is gone.

I will stop by here from time to time as well. ^_^

New idea - an FAQ for this thread... It will get bigger as time goes by.

FAQ

Q:
Is Ninja Resurrection the sequel to Ninja Scroll?

A:
Short answer: No
Long answer: Ninja Scroll is a movie and Ninja Resurrection is a 2 episode OVA. Jubei is the name of the main character in both shows, but that doesn't mean anything. Jubei is often used in Japanese literature - somewhat of a folk-hero. Sword of Truth and Wrath of the Ninja aren't sequels to Ninja Scroll either.

Q:
What does "otaku" mean?

A:
Sort of like a nerdy fan... like a Trekkie... goes to conventions, collects figurines, etc...

Q:
What's the difference between an OVA, an OAV, a TV series, and a Movie?

A:
OVA and OAV are interchangable... Original Video Animation or Original Animated Video... it just means it's a direct to video release. OVAs and TV series are usually both similar in length and released in episodes, but OVAs are usually a slightly higher quality of animation. Movies are movie length animes.

<small>

[Edited by Trigger on 03-10-01 at 02:43 AM]
Old 03-08-01, 03:32 PM
BT
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bump for Visibility...

Bump to the top since I just saw another Anime thread appear...
Old 03-09-01, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This isn't really taking off... I should've started a discussion... anyway...

I have the Lain set (lunchbox) and Cowboy Bebop and Jubei Chan... are there any good series that perhaps aren't out yet that I should keep my eye out for?
Old 03-09-01, 01:32 AM

trigun's pretty good, still has a dvd or two before its completely out
Old 03-09-01, 03:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So much anime I have but I don't know what to recommend.

The only title I watched so far that I can say would be a waste is Amazing Nurse Nanako ... Watched the 3 DVD's yesterday...It had funny bits but what a mostly stale 3 hours

Also watched Shamanic Princess yesterday also and what a pleasant suprise... cool magic and plot twists.... good prologic sound and some beautiful scenes... nice value for $20 ( all 6 episodes )
Old 03-09-01, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
I just started Gasaraki a while ago (still waiting for dvd #2, although #3 is also currently out.). It's a mecha anime with a different focus. Rather than being invincible fighting machines, the mechs are more like very mobile tanks. It's a very interesting series, and although the first dvd starts the story out rather slowly, it has a very intriguing premise and plot. (see animeondvd.com for more reviews and info). I'm really excited about seeing the rest of the series now.

Also, you didn't mention Neon Genesis Evangelion. I just viewed the 4th dvd 2 nights ago, and I'm really getting into this story. It just keeps getting better and better. I highly recommend it. It is of course another mecha, but it seems (like gasaraki) to be considerably different. You see a lot more focus on the characters and their feelings, thoughts, emotions, motivations, etc. than in a lot of series.

And yep, like some folks already mentioned, definitely check out Trigun. (and maybe outlaw star if you like space adventures).

Tuan Jim
Old 03-09-01, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Fushigi Yugi is great too, though expensive you can buy it all now, at least the tv series. I'd also recommend Slayers, Kenshin and the original Tenchi OAV series (all available in one set here called Tenchi: Ultimate Edition), not the tv series. The first tv series was ok, but volume 3 looks like it was mastered off of a bad VCD, so I stopped getting it altogether.
Old 03-09-01, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I will second Gasaraki.
I have all three DVDs so far and it just draws you more and more. FOr fair warning though, it does move at times, but I like that personally.

I will also second Tenchi OVA, and third Trigun.

For an excellent (yet sad) movie, check out Grave of the Fireflies.
Old 03-09-01, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Definitely check out Outlaw Star if you liked Cowboy Bebop.

Old 03-09-01, 07:05 PM

I'm not really too much into anime, but I got Revenge of the ninja from columbiahouse for like $5 bucks, figured it's the same as renting it. I thought it was pretty good. What do you guys think? Any suggestions of good anime for someone who hasn't seen alot???
Old 03-09-01, 08:46 PM

What are some opinions on "Martian Accent Nadescui"(sp?)? My cosin likes it, but I would like some more opinions.

Thanks
Old 03-09-01, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

In regards to the Fushigi Yugi sets. Its a terrific series, but unfortunately the high cost keeps a lot of people away, including me. I ended up buying both sets from someone in Hong Kong on Ebay. With shipping it only cost me $100 for both sets. I'm not sure what the differences are between it and the US release, but its region free and has an English language track that sounds pretty good (not a bad dub). I see a lot on Ebay with no bids - people are usually wary of buying from people overseas, but in this case its very much worth it.
Old 03-09-01, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I also have been getting Black Heaven, Dual, Gasaraki and a few others... Dual is kinda like Gasaraki meets Tenchi Muyo. Black Heaven kinda sucks. Martian Successor Nadesico sucks... I simply don't like goofy children's mecha shows... lots of exaggeration and YELLING and stupid characters. Perhaps the story gets better, but I can't get into it.

I actually like Dual kinda and I've been getting into Gasaraki. I have Trigun and Outlaw Star ordered - I saw one disc of Trigun and a few episodes of Outlaw Star - they didn't impress me much, but I figure perhaps the story gets alot better if you watch all of them. I don't see either of them being nearly as good as Cowboy Bebop.

What's Fushigi Yugi all about? I don't want to invest all that dough unless it's really good. I know everyone thinks Ruroni Kenshin or Samurai X or whatever is good, but I thought it was hella boring and I didn't like any of the characters.
Old 03-10-01, 03:57 AM

has anyone bought the Streetfighter Alpha series that came out in conjuction with the movie? i'm thinking about buying them because i saw 7 episodes on the first dvd but not real sure about the quality of the series...
Old 03-10-01, 04:06 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I'm a big fan of the evangelion series. one of the best series i have seen so far (IMHO) great character design, and the story is not your standard giant mech plot. it has real thickness to it, and has more plot twist then you can imagen down the line.. I am thrilled to see them putting them out at a fast rate.
Old 03-10-01, 04:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I decided to start an FAQ for the first post. I ran out of ideas quickly... If you guys think it's a bad idea, I'll take it off. If you think it's a good idea, then perhaps you could toss one out there. I just thought it would be helpful for those who were perhaps new to anime. If you see someone ask a common question, answer it and tell me if I should put it up in the FAQ or not. Good idea? Bad idea? /me shrugs

{edit} Oh yeah - and by all means - I'm no expert, so please correct me if I'm wrong in my answers or even if I'm slightly off or even if you could just explain it better.
Old 03-10-01, 06:26 AM
Banned

I went and bought the remaining Cowboy Bebop discs(4,5,6), Mononoke, Endless Waltz and Bulletproof at Suncoast today...DAMN their prices are astronomical($32.99 for Cowboy Bebop)!

When I finally have the complete Macross, Evangellion, Cowboy Bebop, and Escaflowne series sitting on my shelf however, I'm gunna have a goo fest
Old 03-10-01, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Search for my thread in DVD Bargains, the first 3 Lost Universe DVD's are only 15$ a piece with free shipping in the US up to the 31st of March. Check this link and suscribe to the newsletter... they probably have the best anime deals (or sure seem to when looking at this months list).

https://www.advfilms.com/coolanime.html
Old 03-10-01, 10:30 AM

As for you folks who don't touch VHS, check out the DVD releases of Orphen and Crest of the Stars. I've only seen 2 episodes of both but am already very eagerly awaiting the dvd's. Both are listed as March releases and both have now been apparently pushed back by ADV it seems... so you might have to wait, but I'm thinking that those 2 series will be the best ones to make their apparition to DVD for 2001.
Old 03-10-01, 10:56 AM
Cool New Member

Does anyone know what's up with Rurouni Kenshin? The release date for Volume 5 keeps being pushed back. Also, is there any truth to the rumors that they will be decreasing the number of episodes on each disc?
Old 03-10-01, 10:58 AM

[RANT]
Why do ppl who ask for anime suggestions always get told to watch Akira, GITS and Ninja Scroll?? If I saw those 3 only, I'd never watch any anime again! There is an infinite amount of better anime out there than those 3 outdated movies that don't cut it. My friend has the GITS DVD and he hasn't even opened it yet and doesn't plan on it. I watched Akira last summer and was "this sucks bad". And if you absolutely want Ninja anime, get some Kenshin, it's so much better than Ninja Scroll could ever be. If ppl ask for anime and those 3 are the only ones you've seen, don't answer the question.
[/RANT]
Old 03-12-01, 04:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Feneant
[RANT]
Why do ppl who ask for anime suggestions always get told to watch Akira, GITS and Ninja Scroll?? If I saw those 3 only, I'd never watch any anime again! There is an infinite amount of better anime out there than those 3 outdated movies that don't cut it. My friend has the GITS DVD and he hasn't even opened it yet and doesn't plan on it. I watched Akira last summer and was "this sucks bad". And if you absolutely want Ninja anime, get some Kenshin, it's so much better than Ninja Scroll could ever be. If ppl ask for anime and those 3 are the only ones you've seen, don't answer the question.
[/RANT]
I disagree... I think Ninja Scroll is a classic. The only people I know who don't like it are those who are too jaded to just enjoy it without worrying about all the attached hype because they've seen like almost every anime out there. Ghost in the Shell is a terriffic movie... It's not without flaws, but it's a great film to start with to get somebody interested in the genre. Akira I haven't seen in many many years, and I don't remember it. I just remember that I thought it was the coolest thing I had ever seen before when I first saw it. I imagine I'd still enjoy watching it again since I kinda like the director.

I can sort of see your point though - I don't really want these films to be as representational as they are for Anime. Despite a few complex subtexts, they are basically just showcases for fantastically bloody and violent cartoons. The uninitiated will see these and realize that just because it's animated doesn't mean it's for kids. They are certainly well done and although they lack the depth of many other anime, they are at the very least an important staple in the genre. I think Cowboy Bebop or Perfect Blue would be good starters also.

The thing that makes these films so popular and what makes them such good canditates for de-virginizing someone into the world of anime is that they are a slap in the face... most people have short attention spans - especially when it comes to things unknown but that they have a preconception about. If someone thinks cartoons are for kids and that it wouldn't interest them, these 3 films are a great way to grab them by the balls and make them interested. Once they are interested, throw some deep and meaningful stuff at them... they'll be more receptive.

I guess I just don't share your idea that these are bad films. I enjoy them. Much the same way I enjoy hollywood action movies like Die Hard and Armageddon and Lethal Weapon and Jackie Chan films. However, I also love films that touch me on a deeper level or make me think or evoke an emotion or two. Half or my collection (excluding anime) is hollywood blockbuster mindless eye candy while the other half is quirky low-budget or independent films made to mess with your head in one way or another.

I also don't think that there's an infinite number of better anime out there... there's very little good anime out there. I guess I exclude alot of it because I'm not into mecha... several years ago, it seemed like the only anime out there was either about mechas in outer space or mechas or outer space. Things have changed only slightly, but they are getting better. I have to say though that I didn't like Kenshin at all... I didn't find any redeeming qualities in the characters at all and thus I don't care about them. It's just really boring so far (I'm watching the OVA and I'm on disc 2). You're entitled to like it though... It's at least produced well and has some good drama in it. I wish I could get into it, but I can't.
Old 03-12-01, 06:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This was posted in the Guide to Anime Thread - so I brought it over here...

Originally posted by cubanx
Question,

I saw Magic User's Club DVD listed as 30 minutes with a MSRP of $29.99 somewhere (Forgot) .... Is that correct?

Lowest price I saw online was around $20 but no one had the actual running time listed
Are you kidding me?

Go to http://www.pricegrabber.com and type in "Magic User" in the search box... I found the DVD going for as low as 16 bucks and everyone had it listed as having a running time of 60 min. There appear to be 2 discs available - vol 1 and vol 2. I imagine there are 2 episodes to each disc... I don't know since I've not seen it (at least I don't think I have - I may have). It looks like Cardcaptor Sakura kinda... Since it's from Media Blasters though I'm guessing it's some sort of prOn.
Old 03-12-01, 01:05 PM

^^^
Old 03-12-01, 05:41 PM

As for mahou tsukaitai (aka Magic Users Club, or the Japanese pun, I Want to Use Magic), the one being released on DVD is the OVA series, which contains 6 episodes, and since there are only 2 eps per volume, then there will be 3 volumes coming out on DVD in the U.S.. Don't let the witch thing fool you...it's part sci-fi, and part witch...but the sci-fi won't take effect until the very ending and continue into the TV series (yes, there is a TV seris of this show, that came much later than the OVA).

As for the rant, most of the best anime shows are not even out in the U.S. and there are more to come. What people suggest for others to see, generally, are the anime shows that got them into anime. I remember in the early 90's, it was Robotech-this or Robotech-that, or Akira-this, or Akira-that, or Bubblegum Crisis-this or Bubblegum Crisis-that, that got them into anime in the first place. Those were the shows that people were using to get people interested in anime. Naturally, everyone has different tastes, and for those who have seen more anime, can recommend better anime than the popular titles everyone else states, because most current fans have very limited anime experience, and mostly seen what has been released in the states, dubbed or subbed (and that's not saying a lot). Rurouni Kenshin TV series, OVA, and movie are quite good, but the TV series only started getting better around mid 30's and ends the great sequence close to ep. 70. After that, it's back to being plain and boring. GITS is actually not that old, considering the other two titles mentioned like Akira or Ninja Scrolls. Both of these latter movies were released in the late 80's and they hold up pretty well over the test of time. The former, GITS was created in the mid-90's and hence is not considered old by any means. If you were an anime fan post GITS, it may seem old to you, but if you are a true anime fan of the old generation (the generation that still accepts watching raw Japanese anime), then GITS is still considered pretty new in relativity, because the movie redefined anime, like most of its predecessor, like Akira, which redefined the style and story-telling and animation techniques. GITS did the same thing, which created a whole new computer-generated overlay look of anime, which is the new adopted look of newer anime (if you couldn't tell already). Prior to GITS, there were less computer generated anime than there are currently. Akira redefined in-between drawing, smoothing out a lot of the choppy look of the 80's anime. If you compare anime movies prior to Akira and post-Akira, you can tell there has been a huge shift of production value. Why do you think the recent anime movie, Gundress, bombed in the Japanese anime movie market? If you have seen it, it went back to the old style that was heavily seen in the 80's...very poorly animated, poorly colored, poor execution and in-between work. And this movie came out in 1999, and is by Shirow, with character designers by Kenichi Sonada (of BGC fame). When a shift occurs in anime, it's due to great works of art. Princess Mononoke has shifted anime movies to a whole new height, and has brought Ghibli to reconsider their target audience a bit better, since PM made the most money of all the Ghibli movies combined.

As for Dual, it is more Tenchi meets Evangelion (not Gasaraki). Dual is practically the same as Evangelion with a Tenchi point of view. Of course, this is coming from the producers/creators of Tenchi. <heh heh> Great TV series (yeah, it looks like an OVA, but it ain't).

As for Martian Successor Nadesico, ADV did a poor job with the translation, or whoever translated it, did a poor job with the translation. There are many Japanese culture subtexts and anime references, that if you don't know it, it will seem stupid and silly to you. Basically, this series has so many inside-jokes of the anime world, that if you haven't watched that many anime, then it will just go over your head. Many of us old-school anime understand it because we know what the jokes are all about. I am amazed they don't have liner notes to explain all the significance behind everything. The Japanese DVDs have every info on all their inside jokes. However, Trigger, this is a funny series, but you will need to watch a whole slew of old 70's and 80's anime to understand what shows they are making fun of. In addition, it's not a "Chulip", it's a TULIP!!! Ugh, I hate bad translations...like Media Blaster's Rurouni Kenshin.

As for Gasaraki, it's great that people enjoy it because it's one of the few "serious" anime series out there that do not exaggerate and give a really mean plot and character development. Other great series are Legend of Galactic Heroes (104 episodes, a few movies, some side stories movies and series) which is one great space opera, very serious and very political. Another one is Votoms (52 episodes) which is coming out soon on DVD, and this one is a mecha-show, but the tone is pretty serious and not taken lightly. Gasaraki follows in this tracks of serious anime that most anime fans really don't know much about. It's a great series, 26 episodes total.

Fushigi Yuugi is a 52 episode series, based on a shoujo (girl) manga of the same name. If you don't like angst, then don't buy it. (Due note: most shoujo manga and anime are angst-ridden...most but not all). It is about a Japanese school girl, Miaka, and her best friend, Yui, who gets transported back into Ancient China via a book called the "Four Gods of Heaven and Earth". These girls become the prophesied "Miko" (priestess)...Miaka is on the Suzaku (the sign of the Phoenix...one of the four gods), and Yui is on the side of the Seiryuu (the sign of the Dragon...another of the four gods). Basically, to get back to their world, they have to call up the power of their god, and they are granted 3 wishes. But in order to do so, they have to find 7 protectorates each, with symbols on their bodies that correlate with the sign of their god. (All this is under Chinese mythology...fyi). Anyhoo, the two-pack each consist of 26 episodes, which is not too shabby considering what they are charging. It's a great series for die-hard Fushigi Yuugi fans. If you have not watched the whole series, rent it first or watch someone else's. Pioneer only made so many and doesn't expect it to be ultra popular with newbie anime fans, but only for die-hard FY fans. Great series...lots of angst...a lot of great characters die...'nuff said.

Trigger, you should change your answer for Otaku. The Japanese do not know where the word originally came from, but a lot of them expect the break down of Otaku comes from the word taku, which means home. O is an honorific prefix and combined creates the word, Otaku. The Japanese people believe that those who are labeled otaku implies people who usually do not leave the house, so people who stay indoors a lot...and anime would do that to you (as seen in the OVA series Otaku Generation). Otaku now implies, by definition of the Japanese, to imply "someone who is really into (along the lines of obsession) something"...this could be applied to anything, and not just anime hobby, basically any hobby where one is obssessed over it. Basically, the American equivalent word we can give Otaku is close to the word Freak, but Freak has a negative connotation in the American usage of the word. Otaku, by Japanese definition, is not a negative connotative word, so it isn't deragatory...it's more along the lines of a neutral adjective of someone. But, we Americans now use the word solely for anime purposes. Funny how things work out... :P

Hmm, anything else to discuss...<shrug> if anything pops up, I'll discuss that one too.

[Edited by The Eigeman on 03-12-01 at 03:45 PM]

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.