Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Article from my paper over the "Survivor" TV show & phenomena?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Article from my paper over the "Survivor" TV show & phenomena?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-01, 02:00 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Down below is a article on "Survivor" that appeared in my paper's "Horizons" section in Sunday's paper! I have not paid very much attention to this new season and do not really care about it! Maybe I'm one of the millions who has other problems to deal with besides 16 people in the Outback!!Are people watching this time or not paying attention? Has "reality TV" gone too far with these kinds of shows!

Here's the link to this article at my newspaper!
http://www.thereporter.com/Current/H...riz030401.html

if you want to write a letter to the editor it's 300 words!

Sunday • March 4, 2001

The 'Survivor' phenomena
Millions of us can't get enough of this prime time soap opera
By Greg Trott/Features Writer

Blame Alfred Hitchcock.

It was in Hitchcock's 1954 thriller, "Rear Window," where Jimmy Stewart's character, confined to a wheelchair, watched his neighbors from the window of his apartment.

More

• Cast members for "Survivor - Australian Outback"
• In reality ...
From his rear window, with the help of binoculars, Stewart unwittingly became a voyeur as he viewed a sordid, unhappy world.

If Jimmy Stewart only knew what he started.

Today our "Rear Window" is a 32-inch Sony. Americans by the millions have become Peeping Toms watching Regular Joes live out their lives.

And we love it, or love to hate it. Depends on who you're talking to.

Like passing motorists rubbernecking at an accident, millions sit glued to their televisions watching reality shows such as "Temptation Island," "The Mole" or America's overwhelming favorite, "Survivor: The Australian Outback."

"Survivor," the humdinger of all reality-based shows, arrives via CBS every Thursday at 7 p.m. on Channel 13 and at 8 p.m. on Channel 5. This is the show's second season, and it's a phenomenal success. The hourlong "Survivor" is currently America's most-watched entertainment show, drawing close to 29 million viewers per episode. Last season's finale, a three-hour special, had 52 million viewers.

This season's 16-week version began Super Bowl Sunday, Jan. 28. The show - for the unaware - dumps 16 contestants on a remote stretch of the Australian outback in Northern Queensland. The 16 fend for shelter, food and water while competing in mental and physical challenges. At the conclusion of each episode one contestant is voted off the island by his or her peers. The last person standing receives a cool $1 million.

It's a battle of attrition. Last year's winner, Richard Hatch, wasn't the most loved. In fact, he was called "a snake" by one of the fallen 15, but Hatch knew how to play the game and his fellow contestants at the same time.

"I think people get into the personalities, the politics of a group environment," commented Contra Costa Times television critic Chuck Barney of Vacaville. "They (the contestants) are thrown together for 39 days - those who last - and it's fascinating to see human dynamics at work."

Indeed, the show is a strange dichotomy. You have two tribes equally divided into two groups of eight - the Kucha (kangaroo) and Ogakor (crocodile). In one segment, viewers can watch the Kuchas working together - teamwork at its best - to win a contest. But later, the group splinters with individuals conniving against teammates to win the grand prize.

Here's an example: Colby, of the Ogakor tribe, is trying to form an all-important alliance with fellow tribesperson, Jerri (she's good-looking but nobody likes her). He confides to her, "Let's make a deal - you, me and Amber (another Ogakor) 'til the end." Later, when Colby is alone, he tells a cameraman, "I haven't trusted anyone since Day 1."

That, in essence, is the show.

It's backstabbing, hugging, loving, hating. It's a soap opera in prime time, and it's real - in a way.

Avid "Survivor" fan Karen McCall of Fairfield loves to watch people, and "Survivor" offers ample opportunity. "The reason I find 'Survivor' interesting to watch is simply to observe human behavior," said McCall. "People watching is something many people like to do because humans are weird and fascinating as a species. 'Survivor' is couch potato sociology."

One Web site, Survivorsucks.com, "a fan site for those who love to hate 'Survivor' on CBS" is ambiguous at best. Click on and you expect to see the show vilified. Instead, it's clear the Web site is dedicated to fans who follow, and love, "Survivor."

Vacaville's Krista Robertson, a fifth-grade teacher at Cooper School, watches the show every week with her husband David. "I don't miss it. I suppose it's the unpredictability," said Robertson, who is not quite sure if she likes this "Survivor" as much as the first one.

"They (contestants) all watched the first 'Survivor' and learned a lot. They're very suspicious and plotting. It's far more competitive (this year). People aren't forming friendships. They're trying to get rid of people who are threats to win."

It's called survival of the weaseliest.

"I think they're more savvy," agrees Fairfield school teacher Glenda Conley who is hooked on "Survivor" by the "psychology of the whole thing."

Thursday nights are sacred to Conley. Witness her agenda for a "Survivor" evening:

1. Get home from workout.

2. Shower.

3. Eat pizza and watch "Survivor."

4. Brother and "Survivor" fan, calls from Los Angeles, yelling, "Send them packing!"

5. Phone friends to discuss show.

That's an evening's worth of watching and bonding.

Conley is also in a "Survivor" pool where you bet $1 on a contestant at the outset of the series, and ride that monkey until he/she drops.

Conley picked Alicia, the personal trainer from New York. "She's the only one I knew," she confessed. "She's an athletic trainer, so I picked her. She's buff and she's a woman."

Alicia is buff. In fact, she looks fit enough to take on any of the contestants - except Michael - who appears a little too bloodthirsty for his own good. This man's desire to kill is evidenced in episode four when he is seen, knife in hand, chasing a small wild boar. One wonders: Didn't his mother ever tell him not to run when he's carrying a knife? He eventually kills the boar with repeated savage thrusts. Later, grinning wickedly, he applies the pig's blood to his face.

"If I'm going out, I'm going out full," Michael tells the camera.

Full of himself, more likely.

Let's face it. These aren't the most lovable people. Maybe that's why the show succeeds.

The Ogakors, the weaker of the two tribes, is full of ugly tension. Jerri doesn't trust Tina. Tina hates Jerri. Keith can't stand Jerri. Mitchell, meanwhile, was too weak to stand up to anybody.

Here are some snippets from recent episodes:

Keith on Jerri - "I didn't come out here to be pushed around by a wannabe actress."

Tina on Jerri - "She's the most bossy, domineering person I ever met."

Jeff on winning - "I don't mean to sound evil, but it's all about kicking ass."

Alicia on Kimmi - "I've never liked Kimmi. We all know that."

Kimmi on Alicia - "She's very condescending of other people."

Mitchell, on himself - "I'm so weak."

Don't we know it. Mitchell, tall and thin, was voted off on episode four during the end-of-shows tribal council, which takes place at what appears to be a miniature Stonehenge. It's the most intriguing part of the show - the vote. Each contestant has a torch that is extinguised when he or she is voted off.

"All of us would like to, one time or another, vote people out of our group," said Barney.

Speaking of groups, "Survivor" is a show the whole family can watch even though there are scenes that must make parents cringe - like the boar-killing episode.

The Dan Spengel family of Vacaville watches "Survivor" as often as possible. "I think people thought it might be voyeuristic, but they're (the contestants) just regular people," said Dan Spengel. "It's like a Robinson Crusoe-type situation. I think we look forward to watching it together, and we always talk about it during the week."

Millions may love the show, but, as might be expected, "Survivor" also has detractors. Vacaville tax preparer Ilse Hill is one of them. After one episode, she had seen enough. "I don't like to watch people eating rats. I think it's a sick show. I don't like it."

Hill isn't alone. Actress Susan Sarandon won't watch the show and doesn't want her kids to watch it either.

But guess what: "Survivor" isn't going away.

CBS is planning on at least two more "Survivor" shows. One will air as early as next fall. If the show is still a success, CBS plans to produce more.

But take the show for what it is worth - 16 people trying to get some face time on television. Well, they're getting it. Most of the original contestants from the first "Survivor" have moved to Los Angeles, hoping for Hollywood careers.

Speaking about reality, Barney wishes "Survivor" contestants would take a dose of it. Come on, he says he wants to tell them, "You were on an island eating rats. You're not a superstar."

Couldn't have said it better.

Cast members for "Survivor - Australian Outback"
Alicia: Personal fitness instructor from New York, N.Y. She appreciates a man who can kill a wild boar with his hands.
Amber: Perky ex-cheerleader from Beaver Area High School in Pennsylvania. Let's see, perky ex-cheerleader and from Beaver High. Enough said.

Colby: Believe it or not, here's a Texan who can't hold his liquor. Considered more of a "Real World" type.

Debb: The first survivor to be voted off. The correctional officer wore a nice "mullet" and literally loved her stepson.

Elisabeth: Boston College softball player from From Cranston, R.I. Here's a little nugget: her boyfriend is the quarterback at B.C.

Jeff: Wuss.

Jerri: Disliked by all. A typical Jerri whine: "The other team is eating chicken, pigs and eggs, and here we are starving to death."

Keith: A chef from Michigan who is either a great guy or a dirty rat.

Kel: The second survivor to be voted off. Beef jerky was his downfall.

Kimmi: Vegetarian who never took a bath. Cast away on episode five.

Maralyn: A crowd favorite, "Mad Dog" was voted off on episode three.

Michael: Big He Man who loves to kill. "I feel the need to shed some blood."

Mitchell: Gigantic geek. This wispy survivor knew his limitations. Voted off on episode four.

Nick: Harvard law student. Does he have a personality?

Rodger: A religious high school shop teacher from Kentucky. You get the feeling he might be crocodile bait.

Tina: From Knoxville, Tenn., Tina's accent drives you crazy - bad crazy.

In reality ...
Reality television has been around since 1948 when CBS' "Candid Camera" graced the airwaves. Here's a sampling of other reality shows that have been or will be on television.
"Wanted" (1955) - Outlined the crimes of fugitives while interviewing their relatives and law enforcement officers working on the case.

"An American Family" (1973) - A PBS camera crew moves in with a family, following every move of its members. More than 300 hours of footage were shot before being edited down to 12 hours. More than 10 million viewers watched as the family was torn apart by divorce.

"Cops" (1989) - Fox brings us cops making busts and cracking heads.

"America's Funniest Home Videos" (1990) - A chance to win $10,000 prompted viewers send in candid videos of themselves looking silly.

"Real World" (1993) - A group of twentysomethings are given a cool house to live in rent-free while the world watches the self-involved hipsters go their wacky ways.

"Temptation Island" (2001) - Four non-married couple are sent to an island off the coast of Belize. Once there, the couples are split up and sent to camps where the women are tempted by 13 buff men, and the men tempted by 13 beautiful women.

"Destination: Space?" (2002) - NBC hopes to air this show either late this year or early 2002 - if it happens. The premise calls for a diverse cast of 12 to 15 Americans to qualify for a cosmonaut school called Star City just outside of Moscow. Like "Survivor," one cast member will be disqualified per episode. The winner will board a Soyuz spacecraft for a televised trip to Russia's MIR station.

[Edited by Aaron Amos on 03-04-01 at 12:04 PM]
Old 03-04-01, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 449 Likes on 307 Posts
Originally posted by Aaron Amos
"Destination: Space?" (2002) - NBC hopes to air this show either late this year or early 2002 - if it happens. The premise calls for a diverse cast of 12 to 15 Americans to qualify for a cosmonaut school called Star City just outside of Moscow. Like "Survivor," one cast member will be disqualified per episode. The winner will board a Soyuz spacecraft for a televised trip to Russia's MIR station.
Apparently someone didn't tell either NBC or this reporter that Mir will come splashing down into the Pacific Ocean this month.

BTW, I like Survivor.
Old 03-04-01, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As long as people are willing to be in reality shows, I am willing to watch.