Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Why is ColumbiaHouse.com the worst?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Why is ColumbiaHouse.com the worst?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-01, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was trying to place an order through their Buy 1, Get $10 Off 2 offer. Wednesday, site's down all day. Thursday, can't get in at all. Finally find a way in through some DVD club pages and try to place an order, but then realize that some of the things in the cart are marked as "Hold", anyway I figure they'll go through the whole process of asking for address, credit card, etc...and nope, Order Was Placed. So I quickly send an e-mail saying the order is most likely screwed up, please change it to the following. And I get a response saying that it will take two business days to get an actual response. So tonight (a whole day after ordering) I get a message saying that it takes three business days after ordering to process the order, so they cannot fulfill my request at this point. What a lie, they obviously had my order somewhere (it's not like it takes the site days to send my order to them). And not even a sorry or we'll see what we can do. Just a "let us know if we can be of any help". If they send me the wrong order, they'll receive the package back with a big "REFUSED" on the box. This is as bad as Customer Service gets...or at least close to it. Ahh...rant over.
Old 03-06-01, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sorry they suck.
Old 03-06-01, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Yeah. I'm not into their whole deal setup either where you have to subscribe and stuff. Just seems like too much of a hassle.
Old 03-06-01, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: The Quad-city area of Melonville, Meckling, the Boro of Melon, and Party Town
Far and away, the biggest complaints on the CH thread over in Bargains have to do with the web site. There are so many specific problems with it, I wouldn't know where to begin:

Site's down.
Site is slow.
Menu bars won't appear.
Is it secure?
Sale prices won't come up.
Incorrect regular prices.
One click alone can place an order.
Can't cancel orders or mistakes.
Discounts aren't reflected on CC bill.

Don't get me started; don't even get me started......

Old 03-06-01, 08:12 PM

CH is ok - for what they are

Remember that CH has a different business model than the Amazon's and DVDExpress's of the world. They merely took their snail mail model that has worked for decades and added DVDs and a web interface.

I have gotten two "director's selections" that I had rejected - wrote 'return to sender' on the box, handed it to the postman and the problem was solved.

How much extra are you willing to pay for the customer support that you desire? As long as I can get 7 or 8 DVD's for an average of around $9 then they'll get my business.
Old 03-06-01, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: The Quad-city area of Melonville, Meckling, the Boro of Melon, and Party Town
Re: CH is ok - for what they are

Originally posted by msharkm
How much extra are you willing to pay for the customer support that you desire? As long as I can get 7 or 8 DVD's for an average of around $9 then they'll get my business.
I concur. I probably should have put it in my post, but I've got nothing but kudos for CH provided I order using the CS lines (and not the Orders-R-Us lines that use subcontracted order takers).

I do use their web site often, but it's usually to check for new titles, price drops, and the like....
Old 03-07-01, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, there's a lot of reasons CH sucks, but think about it this way:

1. They've been around forever, and probably will always be around. So, you know they're at least reliable
2. They're DVD's cost about $9 each when you use the proper deals. So, no one can really beat their pricing
3. They've got a decent selection. Always a plus!

What etailer can say that? None! Yeah, you put in an order, and it takes forever and a week before you see the DVD's, but you have very good odds at actually getting the DVD.

You get what you pay for, that's all. They're not a startup that's trying to build a customer base and is bending over backwards to give you great customer service. They're working from a formula that's worked for them for years. Take advantage of it, order things cheap and that you can wait a couple weeks for, and you'll be happy.