Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Question about my Tivo and it's stupid habit.......

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Question about my Tivo and it's stupid habit.......

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-01, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
my tivo keeps taping a show that I have set for 3 thumbs down. it does this everyday. is there a fix this so it won't waste space with this dumb show. arrg!
Old 02-27-01, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If it's taping it because TiVo thinks you want it to, then it is not wasting space. It is only using space you are not using. As soon as you tell it to record something that requires that space, it will, if I understand correctly.

Randyc
Old 02-27-01, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Still kinda wierd that it still records it after 3 thumbs down . Sounds like you may not have a whole lot thumbed up? Hell the last time I gave something 3 thumbs down it stopped recording the whole genre. To offset it, find out something you might like that's on at the same time and give it a thumbs up or two. See if that works. If you want a different opinion (and quite possibly an answer ) try out http://www.avsforum.com/ubbcgitivo/Ultimate.cgi

Lots of helpful and very knowledgeable people there

Hope I helped.
Old 02-27-01, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk God

ok, maybe i'll try taping something in it's place. it's taping that stupid soap opera Passions every day. It's not really wasting space, since I do have a 30 hr tivo, but it just annoys me that i have , yet it still tapes it. oh well.

dbrink, thanks for the webiste. i actually have been on there before, but haven't bothered to register here. maybe i'll register there if i can't figure this out.

[Edited by Deftones17 on 02-27-01 at 08:11 PM]
Old 02-27-01, 10:03 PM
Registered

So do you think we should add a Tivo/Replay TV forum area here?

Old 02-27-01, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Deftones17
ok, maybe i'll try taping something in it's place. it's taping that stupid soap opera Passions every day. It's not really wasting space, since I do have a 30 hr tivo, but it just annoys me that i have :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:, yet it still tapes it. oh well.

dbrink, thanks for the webiste. i actually have been on there before, but haven't bothered to register here. maybe i'll register there if i can't figure this out.
Sure. But for gods sake def, it's Tivoing, NOT taping jk.

Old 02-27-01, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by gkleinman

I'll say it again when you asked last week:

Hell YES!!
Old 02-27-01, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by dbrink
Originally posted by Deftones17
ok, maybe i'll try taping something in it's place. it's taping that stupid soap opera Passions every day. It's not really wasting space, since I do have a 30 hr tivo, but it just annoys me that i have :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:, yet it still tapes it. oh well.

Sure. But for gods sake def, it's Tivoing, NOT taping jk.

hehe, oops! my bad!
Old 02-27-01, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
I'd like to second the HELL YES for a Tivo Forum!... and that "other" machine
Old 02-27-01, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Out of curiosity, what show was it?
Old 02-27-01, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Iron Chef
Out of curiosity, what show was it?
it was in my second post. It's the stupid soap opera Passions. bleaghhhhhh!
Old 02-28-01, 12:06 AM
Retired

I never had that problem, but I still told my Tivo to stop automatically recording things from Tivo suggestions. It was taping tons of crap I didn't want to see. I don't watch all that much Tivo, so it isn't a problem for me to tell it to tape the things I actually want to watch.
Old 02-28-01, 12:43 AM
Banned

Originally posted by gkleinman

Hell YES!!!

I also have my suggestions turned off. I have 27 Season Passes...I have enough to watch as it is....
Old 02-28-01, 05:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Please forgive me if this sounds like a dumb question, but are you sure you don't have a season pass set for that show? I've always been able to get Tivo to stop recording suggestions for a given show with just a single thumbs down.

Does it show up in your To Do list?

BTW, I think the TV Talk forum is plenty big enough right now to accomodate discussions about Tivo/ReplayTV.
Old 02-28-01, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have a similar problem. I have three thumbs UP for X-Files and I didn't use season pass because it would tape a lot of the reruns on too. At the very least, I thought if I didn't record X-Files, I would leave the Tivo on Fox and get the 30 minutes in the buffer to go back to see the beginning, because I am always home by 9:30 at the latest. However, two weeks ago, it didn't stay on fox for X-Files and instead taped some silly CBS movie. Why wouldn't it have suggested the X-Files to record as I have three thumbs up on it? I have now had to switch to manual recording because I don't trust Tivo with X-Files anymore. I am hoping that the new version 2.0 will fix this problem and the others I've had.
Old 02-28-01, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by belboz
Please forgive me if this sounds like a dumb question, but are you sure you don't have a season pass set for that show? I've always been able to get Tivo to stop recording suggestions for a given show with just a single thumbs down.

Does it show up in your To Do list?

BTW, I think the TV Talk forum is plenty big enough right now to accomodate discussions about Tivo/ReplayTV.
It doesn't have a season pass. I've checked that on many occasions. I'm not sure why it tivos. I guess it's trying to get me hooked on goofy soap operas.
Old 02-28-01, 10:54 AM

Hmm.. maybe I am doing something wrong, but I wish there was a selective season pass option. For instance, I like my TIVO to record Junkyard Wars on monday nights at 11pm, but want it to record the Simpsons as a season pass for every other week night at 11pm minus monday. I had to do this manually, but you'd think TIVO would allow you to program:

"ok, season pass Simpsons, but exclude recording to it on mondays". Is this option there or did I miss it?
Old 02-28-01, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 450 Likes on 308 Posts
Originally posted by BenCJedi
"ok, season pass Simpsons, but exclude recording to it on mondays". Is this option there or did I miss it?
Read this page carefully, and it will tell you how. Basically, you have to get both season passes entered, with the Junkyard Wars having a higher priority. This is easier to do in TiVo 2.0, but with 1.3, just follow the above directions.
Old 02-28-01, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ohhh 2.0 is awesome!!!! Been playing around with it, and it shows that the folks at Tivo actually listened to what consumers had to say. Yet another reason why I need to buy another Tivo for my house (truly, like I need another reason, I love my Tivo).
Old 03-01-01, 11:15 AM

def, do a search over on avsforum for Passions and you will find a ton of people with the same problem. There's something about that show.
Old 03-01-01, 11:21 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

It may be something as simple as going into your options and telling it not to record anything on the Tivo recommends list.

When I first got my Tivo, it recorded tons of stuff I had gone through and thumbs upped.

I had to change the option and tell it not to record anything but what I enter.
Old 03-01-01, 11:40 AM

Vryce, why would you care if it recorded stuff you had thumb-upped? It only keeps it until it needs the space and it doesn't interfere with recordings you set up yourself. Same with Deftones' problem, but his would make him look bad if his boys ever stopped by and saw Passions on Now Showing.
Old 03-01-01, 11:47 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Plastic
def, do a search over on avsforum for Passions and you will find a ton of people with the same problem. There's something about that show.
If Deftones would have mentioned the name...we could have solved this a long time agao. The show "Passions" is WELL known in the Tivo Community.
Old 03-01-01, 01:57 PM

Yes, a Tivo forum would be nice. 2.0 is excellent!

thanks,

Sam
Old 03-01-01, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Kenwood
Originally posted by Plastic
If Deftones would have mentioned the name...we could have solved this a long time agao. The show "Passions" is WELL known in the Tivo Community.
hehe. ok, so i guess it's not just me then. i was pissed when the damn thing kept recording the show, i mean i had 3 thumbs down on the bastich! i wonder if some tivo programmer is having a good laugh at this one.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.