Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Should NYPD Blue call it a day?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-01, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With Kim Delaney and James McDaniel joining the many who have left before them, should the Blue be let go?

Dennis Franz would be the only original cast member left.

Now I hear they have cast Mark-Paul Gosselaar from Saved by the Bell. (WTF? We need a Rick Schroder look-alike?)
Old 02-26-01, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, this show has grown pretty weary. I'm really kind of sick of Diane's problems, Metavoy's the comic relief guy, etc. Danny and Andy are okay (though the Andy and his son bit is just about overdone) - maybe they should transfer them and start over with a new squad of people around them.

Baldwin hasn't become anything, Fancy and Russell are leaving anyway, no replacement for Kirkendall. What's left? Make a major change or scrap it.
Old 02-26-01, 11:13 AM
Banned

matavoy is an original cast member. The show has been better this year than last year. That crap with Kirkendal at the end of last year was so sloppy and incoherent that it really dragged the show down. I tell ya though, once Kim Delany leaves, I might be done watchin it. I mean, is she the hottest chick on TV or what.
Old 02-26-01, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by cineman
Medavoy became a recurring character halfway through the first season, therefore is not an original cast member.
What show are you watching? He's in the main credits, he appears at least once in almost every episode.

Blue rocks. Characters come and go. As long as the wrinting stays consitent it's a good show.
Old 02-27-01, 04:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by bigDVDaddict
Originally posted by cineman
Medavoy became a recurring character halfway through the first season, therefore is not an original cast member.
What show are you watching? He's in the main credits, he appears at least once in almost every episode.

I obviously watch a lot closer than you. Medavoy did not appear until the third episode. After that, he appeared in six more episodes in the 1st season . He did not become a regular character until the 2nd season.

I stand behind my original statement, he is not an original cast member. I deleted my original post thinking I was wrong, I should have known better.

By your logic, every character on the show is an original character because they are in the main credits.
That makes them current characters, not original ones.
Old 02-27-01, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You may be correct about him not appearing until the 3rd episode. I cant find anything to prove or disprove that. But he is listed as being on the show since the 1st season. In my book that makes him an origianl cast member and at the very least more than a recurring character.

As for my comment on the main credits, I should have stated it better...he appears in the main credits of the 1st season. Recurring characters do not get the main credits.

From IMDB.com..

Biography for
Gordon Clapp (I)

Page 10 of 13

Mini biography
For seven seasons, Gordon Clapp has both delighted and exasperated NYPD Blue fans with his portrayal of beleaguered detective Greg Medavoy. His character's idiosyncrasies prompted one reviewer to write, "Gordon Clapp is sheer perfection at making you squirm when you see Greg."

Old 02-27-01, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

David Schwimmer was on the first season. I guess that makes him an original cast member.
Old 02-27-01, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They do need to take it in a different direction.
Old 02-27-01, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 615 Likes on 494 Posts
The problem I have always had with NYPD Blue is that it gives the impression that everyone picked up by the police cooperates (if they are not directly being charged) or confesses. Surely this does not happen that frequently. That is why I enjoy Law & Order and Homicide much more as police dramas than NYPD Blue.
Old 02-28-01, 03:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

As for bigdvdaddict and cineman's little battle, technically Cineman is right, but who cares? Drop it.

The show (IMHO) has improved this year now that whacko Milch is gone and Bochco is back running the room. Last year was bad as was the second half of the previous year.

I like what's happening now and have heard that the arc going through this season will be great.

I think this show was it's best (and one of the best things on TV) in it's 3rd through 6th seasons.

Next year however looks bleak. Bochco has caved into network requests of "sexing it up" meaning younger, hotter looking cast members. Not only is MPG coming in, but there's a new young blonde girl (who looks about as much like a detective as Sipowicz looks like a showgirl) starting in a week or two who will be a series regular next season.

Kim Delaney is going to do Bochco's new show PHILLY about a Philadelphia lawyer.
Old 02-28-01, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by guyot
As for bigdvdaddict and cineman's little battle, technically Cineman is right, but who cares? Drop it.

Meeeeeooooow!
Old 02-28-01, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not only is MPG coming in, but there's a new young blonde girl (who looks about as much like a detective as Sipowicz looks like a showgirl) starting in a week or two who will be a series regular next season.
33 year old Charlotte Ross has actually been on quite a few shows. She's a great actress.
Old 02-28-01, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Next year however looks bleak. Bochco has caved into network requests of "sexing it up" meaning younger, hotter looking cast members. Not only is MPG coming in, but there's a new young blonde girl (who looks about as much like a detective as Sipowicz looks like a showgirl) starting in a week or two who will be a series regular next season.

It's going to become the Baywatch of cop shows
Old 02-28-01, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

. . .or maybe they could do more of a Cop Rock-type thing. People seemed to love that.
Old 03-20-01, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Charlotte Ross second episode aired tonight !

She sure looks damn good and seems to be pretty tough also!
Old 03-21-01, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I haven't watched it since Jimmy Smits next to last full season. The 2nd year was the best, especially the episodes involving the greenhouse chick who had a fatal attraction for Simone. I started to lose interest when Andy had dreams about his dead son and angels
Old 03-21-01, 03:57 PM

Saw the preview for next week last night. Apparently Star Trek:TNG's Denise Crosby is replacing Lt.Fancy. This comes as a complete shock to me since I hadn't heard anything about it. Should be interesting to say the least.