Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Need Help!! For anyone who has cancelled Netflix, please post!!

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-01, 07:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NETFLIX SUCKS!!!!!

After long waits in turnaround, and much of my queue listed as "out of stock", I cancelled my Netflix account earlier this month. Unfortunately, I stupidly cancelled before sending back my DVD's. They sent me a note stating I had 7 days to return my DVD's (even though I was charged for the month of February, and had 21 days left in the month), and they included a self-serving statement about any lost DVD's would be charged to my CC at the full MSRP. Lo and behold, they reported Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid as not returned (although I had mailed it at the same time as the other two DVD's I had from them). Actually, I never received an e-mail from them concerning this "lost DVD" - I just found a $39.95 (that's right, $39.95) charge on my AMEX card. Now, setting aside the fact that the MSRP is $29.98, and setting aside that you can get the DVD for about $18 on-line - what happened to Netflix's policy concerning lost DVD's when I signed up - which was, report them as returned, and after a time they would be listed as lost - but you wouldn't be charged for them.

Netflix is the most unethical on-line business out there. AMEX has removed the charge from my card pending an investigation. I have notified AMEX that I'm not the only one out there with Netflix problems....so, if anyone has had a similar problem, PLEASE POST!!!
Old 02-25-01, 12:21 PM

I had the same prob...just email them a bunch of times and they'll take care of it.
Old 02-25-01, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I plan to cancel shortly

My membership is charged on the 4th of each month. I just mailed back all of my titles and emptied my queue. So once I receive notification of receipt via email for each title, I plan to cancel. With no titles in the queue, they can't ship me anything prior to my cancelation.
Old 02-25-01, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's rather sad that they try to get you for more cash even when you cancel.
Old 02-25-01, 07:42 PM

Netflix Phone #

I had a big problem canceling also, email after email was left unanswered. Fortunately, I came across their suspiciously unlisted number, and here it is: 1-888-638-3549
Old 02-25-01, 07:53 PM

I had no problems cancelling. I just mailed everything back...waited until they emailed me that the movie(s) was received AND it showed that on my account..THEN I cancelled my account.

It's a shame that they are so screwed up...I really enjoyed not fighting for one of the two copies of a new release at my local video store...Maybe some day Netflix will get their act together.

Alfer
Old 02-25-01, 08:43 PM

Same thing happened to me. 3 weeks later, they reported one of the DVDs as returned. After like 10 emails, they eventually marked the one charged on my credit card as lost. Still have to take that charge off of it though...
Old 02-26-01, 03:50 PM
Cool New Member

I cancelled my membership about a month ago and did not have any problems. Now I use www.rentmydvd.com and they are much better as far as titles being in stock.
Old 02-26-01, 05:05 PM

Thank you everyone for joining Rentmydvd, Inc.
Please let us know what you think or how we can improve our site. - Roger
Old 02-26-01, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Count me in as someone who had major problems cancelling my membership. I signed up for the free month deal - then couldn't get back on to cancel my account. No one answered the phones or emails so they charged me for the next month. I disputed the charges and they took them off. Then, like 4 months later, out of the blue, they charged my card again. More angry emails to customer service and another dispute finally resolved the charges in my favor but left a nasty taste in my mouth. Never again will I use their service...
Old 03-05-05, 09:44 PM

I have been a member of Netflix since April of 2004 and things went really smooth through Feburary of this year. I was using my checking account to pay every month and Netflix has never had any problem getting their money...it was always there and they never got turned down. I was on the 3 at a time plan until the end of January and I switched to 8 at the time....things went good through February and I received someting like 40 DVD's in Februrary. Then when the billing date came up on the 28th, my account was put on hold. I emailed Netflix and as always their emails never address the real issue, so I called them again and again and was directed to call a check service that serves Netflix called Certegy. I have called them numerous times and it just seems that I keep getting the run around. I never lost a movie, though I did report about 3 during this time since last April as being sent back and Netflix not receiving them, but they would always get them like the next day or so, so that did not seem to be a problem. When I called Certegy the first time I was told that my account had been put on hold because I reported a movie as missing, but that the movie had been returned and my account would be re-instated...it wasn't. When I called Certegy back, I was told to go to my bank and get a bank employee to write a letter on Bank letterhead stating that Netflix had not tried to withdraw any money from my account unsuccessfully....he said that I would need to fax this to them and he would waive the charge.....I ask him what charge...he siad the insufficient check charge...this is when I totally got mad at the whole thing. I told him that I would not pay a returned check fee because I had not had a returned check, e-check or otherwise. After taliking back and forth with Netflix and Certegy, I was finally told today that Netflix did not know anything about what Certegy was doing and Certegy told me that they did not know what Netflix was doing , but there was nothing they could do to help me that I would just have to change my payment method to a credit card or a bank debit card, which I donot intend to do. I tried to cancel my Netflix account today, but I had to call a 800 number(no place online to do it like it was before they put my account on hold)and they closed at 2:00 this afternoon so I will have to wait till Monday now. I am very sick of all this hassle and I don't want any part of Netflix now. Maybe like some of you said, they begin to look at your account when they think you are getting too much for your money, but I don't really consider 40 movies in 27 days a lot for my money, since the 8 at home plan is 51.35 with tax....that is over a dollar a movie and I can get them that cheap at the local Blockbuster without all the hassle. I am an honest upstanding person and have not tried to rip Netflix off, but the guy at Certegy told me that the reason my account had been put on hold was because Netflix was losing money and movies and that Netflix had hired them to "screen" accounts and look into those that appeared to be "risks" and he saidmine looked like a risk...Go Figure....how did this happen to me...I donot understand, but it did and now Netflix can put it where the sun don't shine. The girl I talked to at Netflix today told me to call Certegy back and speak to a member of management and get them to straighten this out and that she was going to give me the month of March free, but that is neither here nor there now....the guy at Certegy told me that there was nothing he could do to make them accept my checking account and that all I could do was change payment methods and I refuse to be told what I must do so as soon as I can get Netflix on the phone Monday, I am cancelling and I would advise all of you to be careful about Netflix....seems that between them and Certegy, you will surely get screwed.
Old 03-10-05, 04:38 PM

Are you familiar with the "enter" button on your keyboard? It allows you to make paragraphs, instead of a long run-on thingy like you've got.

See? It works.
Old 03-11-05, 02:00 AM

Wow, this thread is over 4 years old! Nice job resurrecting it from the grave.
Old 03-12-05, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by psc143
I have been a member of Netflix since April of 2004 and things went really smooth through Feburary of this year. I was using my checking account to pay every month and Netflix has never had any problem getting their money...it was always there and they never got turned down. I was on the 3 at a time plan until the end of January and I switched to 8 at the time....things went good through February and I received someting like 40 DVD's in Februrary. Then when the billing date came up on the 28th, my account was put on hold. I emailed Netflix and as always their emails never address the real issue, so I called them again and again and was directed to call a check service that serves Netflix called Certegy. I have called them numerous times and it just seems that I keep getting the run around. I never lost a movie, though I did report about 3 during this time since last April as being sent back and Netflix not receiving them, but they would always get them like the next day or so, so that did not seem to be a problem. When I called Certegy the first time I was told that my account had been put on hold because I reported a movie as missing, but that the movie had been returned and my account would be re-instated...it wasn't. When I called Certegy back, I was told to go to my bank and get a bank employee to write a letter on Bank letterhead stating that Netflix had not tried to withdraw any money from my account unsuccessfully....he said that I would need to fax this to them and he would waive the charge.....I ask him what charge...he siad the insufficient check charge...this is when I totally got mad at the whole thing. I told him that I would not pay a returned check fee because I had not had a returned check, e-check or otherwise. After taliking back and forth with Netflix and Certegy, I was finally told today that Netflix did not know anything about what Certegy was doing and Certegy told me that they did not know what Netflix was doing , but there was nothing they could do to help me that I would just have to change my payment method to a credit card or a bank debit card, which I donot intend to do. I tried to cancel my Netflix account today, but I had to call a 800 number(no place online to do it like it was before they put my account on hold)and they closed at 2:00 this afternoon so I will have to wait till Monday now. I am very sick of all this hassle and I don't want any part of Netflix now. Maybe like some of you said, they begin to look at your account when they think you are getting too much for your money, but I don't really consider 40 movies in 27 days a lot for my money, since the 8 at home plan is 51.35 with tax....that is over a dollar a movie and I can get them that cheap at the local Blockbuster without all the hassle. I am an honest upstanding person and have not tried to rip Netflix off, but the guy at Certegy told me that the reason my account had been put on hold was because Netflix was losing money and movies and that Netflix had hired them to "screen" accounts and look into those that appeared to be "risks" and he saidmine looked like a risk...Go Figure....how did this happen to me...I donot understand, but it did and now Netflix can put it where the sun don't shine. The girl I talked to at Netflix today told me to call Certegy back and speak to a member of management and get them to straighten this out and that she was going to give me the month of March free, but that is neither here nor there now....the guy at Certegy told me that there was nothing he could do to make them accept my checking account and that all I could do was change payment methods and I refuse to be told what I must do so as soon as I can get Netflix on the phone Monday, I am cancelling and I would advise all of you to be careful about Netflix....seems that between them and Certegy, you will surely get screwed.

I cancelled in December for the Certergy reason. My God I thought *I* was going fucking insane? Why should I be burdened with changing my payment method? The customer service rep I spoke to was a total bitch. There service was spotty, and GUESS what! They have competition! I read a NY Times article where the President said he wants to not be taken ove by a coprorate daddy. Good luck with that. Netflix as it is is not long for this world.
Old 03-15-05, 01:25 PM

Help!! I Am A Current Netflix Subscriber. I Am Unable To Access The Webpage To Even Update My Queue, Check Shipments, Etc. I Get Email Saying They Have Received My Returned Movies, But I Cannot Get On Their Webpage To Cancel My Subscription Or Remove Everything From Queue Before Doing So. Does Anyone Know What To Do???
Old 03-16-05, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
I have to wonder if it is due to where you all live and the postal service. I have been a member of Netflix for over a year and have had no problems. As for movies being "out of stock", is it possible you are renting all new movies and everybody else and their mother is trying to get them as well? Any other movie rent place has had the same problems with it being out of stock so i do not see how this is any different.

I would say it might be a good idea for them to buy more and then sell them of ala GameFly. But I suppose that's neither here nor there.
Old 03-16-05, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cmomcheri24
Help!! I Am A Current Netflix Subscriber. I Am Unable To Access The Webpage To Even Update My Queue, Check Shipments, Etc. I Get Email Saying They Have Received My Returned Movies, But I Cannot Get On Their Webpage To Cancel My Subscription Or Remove Everything From Queue Before Doing So. Does Anyone Know What To Do???

Why Do You Capitalize The First Letter Of Every Word?

You can't go to www.netflix.com??? Or did you just lose your password?
Old 03-16-05, 11:55 AM

I do not capitalize every letter first of all. That is just how it came out. Secondly, I cannot get into the website. I have the address/URL correct, I keep getting an error message of cannot locate web address. Even if I perform a search, and click on the search's listed link, I cannot get in. I have heard about other complaints of the same issues, but no one has stated in my research how to contact Netflix.
Old 03-16-05, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I do not capitalize every letter first of all. That is just how it came out. Secondly, I cannot get into the website. I have the address/URL correct, I keep getting an error message of cannot locate web address. Even if I perform a search, and click on the search's listed link, I cannot get in. I have heard about other complaints of the same issues, but no one has stated in my research how to contact Netflix.
Call your ISP or get your PC looked at. I got into it just now with no problems.
Old 03-18-05, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dude You Have To Type It Like This:

Www.Netflix.Com

Now It Works, See?
Old 03-18-05, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
Clear your cache, clear your cookies, reboot your machine, recycle your modem if on broadband, try another browser, and make sure you're going to www.netflix.com