Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Is Midnight Run worth having?

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Is Midnight Run worth having?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-01, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I noticed that Midnight run is out of print, due to image losing the rights to it.

Is it a very good movie? Is it worth having?

Borders by here has it for $12.99, so I thought about picking this one up.

Thanks in advance
Old 02-24-01, 01:16 PM
Uber Member

Personally, I love this movie. I can watch this one over and over again.

Robert Deniro plays a Chicago cop turned bounty hunter who's getting tired of the life he's leading. His last case is an accountant who ripped off the mafia and who has jumped bail.

This is a pretty standard buddy flick (two opposites meet, hate each other, are forced to work with each other and eventually depend on each other, whereupon they develop a grudging respect and then friendship with one another), but Deniro is great and I've never seen Charles Grodin's normally irritating deadpan, indifferent sense of humor been put to better use.

Combined with some well maintained running gags with the FBI and a rival bounty hunter, Midnight Run is a solid, funny movie. You won't be rolling on the floor laughing out loud, but you will have a very good time.

As for the disc, well, this was a very early DVD release. There are no real menus even! If you click on the menu button you are immediately taken to the chapter search screen (about 5 or 6 scenes a page using stills from the scene for placeholders). And that's it. No trailer, no setup, no play movie.

As for the video, most disappointingly, it's not anamorphic. But otherwise it looks fine. Not the sharpest picture ever transferred to DVD, but it looks good enough. It is presented widescreen at 1.85:1.

The audio is Dolby Surround, and given that this is mostly a dialogue driven movie, very adequate.

Overall, for $12.99, I would say this is a must buy. I don't know when this title will be reissued, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy this now, and then buy it again when an anamorphic version becomes available.
Old 02-24-01, 05:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had seen it at least three times when I noticed it at Best Buy for ten bucks. I bought it and watched it again, and I know I will view it at least three more times in my lifetime. If you haven't seen it, you are in for a treat. Very entertaining: a little comedy, a little action, a little poignancy, a lot of charm. It's a real movie-movie. The DVD is only the movie, but it's a good transfer. Buy it, and this means everyone!
Old 02-24-01, 06:58 PM

I saw it in the theaters way back then and I still think its great. One of my favorite Robert Deniro movies. For that price, its a steal.
Old 02-24-01, 08:46 PM

I totally concur with the above comments. Hilarious script, great timing, good entertainment. Has no extras, but if you're just looking for a good movie, you can't beat the value.
Old 02-25-01, 01:32 PM
Banned

way better than i thought it was gonna be. i'm very hard on movies and i own this one, if that's any indication.
Old 02-25-01, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I like this movie a lot, too. It's very funny. Charles Grodin is hilarious (as always), and DeNiro does very well.

I picked up the DVD at Wal-Mart last August or so for $9.99, but even for $12.99, you can't go wrong picking it up.
Old 02-25-01, 04:46 PM

Thanks guys, I ended up picking it up at Borders.

Instead of $12.99 though, it was only $9.99, which was an even nicer surprise.

I will watch it tonight. Thanks again.
Old 02-27-01, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

A definate must own movie.
Old 02-27-01, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Add me to the list of people that enjoyed this movie very much. This movie along with A Fish Called Wanda were constantly in my VCR for several months. Very entertaining movie. Well worth the 12 bucks

[Edited by SDSII on 02-28-01 at 12:27 AM]
Old 02-27-01, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you have a STRAWBERRIES store near you, you can get Midnight Run for free if you preorder Meet the Parents for $19.99. Not a bad deal...
Old 02-27-01, 11:48 PM

Originally posted by bboisvert
If you have a STRAWBERRIES store near you, you can get Midnight Run for free if you preorder Meet the Parents for $19.99. Not a bad deal...
Unfortunately here in Oklahoma, we don't have a Strawberries.

However, I did pick that up at Borders for $10, and was very pleased. Great movie, great price. Thanks for the recommendation
Old 02-28-01, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ever have sex with a chicken Jack??

This movie has got some great one liners...
Old 03-01-01, 05:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Run, do not walk, to own this gem of a film!

Bobby De Niro, Charles Grodin and director Martin Brest have given us one gem of a film. I would grab it while you still can, as the Image rights for Universal product tend to be short lived. No word, as of yet, on a Universal-Special-Edition" re-issue, so grab immediately!

One unrelated note, but pertaining to Universal DVD re-issue's: THE BREAKFAST CLUB is being tooled for an upcoming "Special-Edition." No word yet on its release date. WEIRD SCIENCE has also fallen out of the Image rights category, as Universal is also preparing to re-issue it on their label. No word on a date or if it will be a "Special-Edition" dvd. Hopefully, Universal will
give both films an anamorphic transfer, and finally remaster THE BREAKFAST CLUB'S 1.0 (big fat mono soundtrack) into 5.1 surround bliss.
Old 03-01-01, 08:49 AM
Cool New Member

One of my favorites. Holds up well to repeat viewings.

Jack Walsh: "You're goddamn right I am. Now here come two words for you: Shut the f*ck up."
Old 03-01-01, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Run, do not walk, to own this gem of a film!

Originally posted by highdef
One unrelated note, but pertaining to Universal DVD re-issue's: THE BREAKFAST CLUB is being tooled for an upcoming "Special-Edition." No word yet on its release date. WEIRD SCIENCE has also fallen out of the Image rights category, as Universal is also preparing to re-issue it on their label. No word on a date or if it will be a "Special-Edition" dvd. Hopefully, Universal will
give both films an anamorphic transfer, and finally remaster THE BREAKFAST CLUB'S 1.0 (big fat mono soundtrack) into 5.1 surround bliss.
They are also re-releasing SIXTEEN CANDLES (which is another Image OOP disc). All 3 of these John Hughes titles are coming out sometime in May.
Old 03-01-01, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Coconuts as well as Strawberries is offering Midnight Run free with Meet the Parents.