Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

20% off all titles at Choicesdirect.co.uk + free shipping

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

20% off all titles at Choicesdirect.co.uk + free shipping

Old 02-19-01, 04:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I received the following email from Choicesdirect.co.uk today. Don't forget they offer free worldwide shipping

A BIG - 20% - THANK YOU

You may be aware that we have recently been experiencing some technical difficulties with our Choices Direct website, and consequently you may have had some trouble placing your orders. We would like to apologise for these problems and assure you that we're now confident that our website is back to normal and functioning 100%!

By way of saying sorry for any inconvenience that may have been caused, we would like to do something special for you! We are therefore giving you a massive 20% off the recommended retail price on every single title on our website! That's right - from today until 10am on Monday 26th February you can save 20% off all your favourite Videos, DVDs and Talking Tapes! That means you can buy Snatch on DVD for £19.99, Buffy Season 4 Part 2 Boxset for only £27.99, or Alan Bennett's Telling Tales on Talking Tape for only £7.99. Or why not take a look at our BAFTAs page, where you can save 20% off titles from this year's nominations. In fact, you can buy whatever you like - you'll save 20% off the price, but don't delay - this offer ends soon! Just go to http://www.choicesdirect.co.uk and start shopping!

From The Choices Direct Team
Old 02-19-01, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That's great customer service. Not many shops Stateside that would be doing that, I bet. If it weren't for the region 2 bit, I'd buy there!
Old 02-19-01, 06:29 PM

Originally posted by Fhrx
That's great customer service. Not many shops Stateside that would be doing that, I bet. If it weren't for the region 2 bit, I'd buy there!
You live in Australia and don't have a multi-region player??? Shame on you

Actually, as good as the deal looks, it is still cheaper to buy from AmazonUK (for us Australians at least) as Amazon (unlike BlackStar and Choicesdirect) remove the 17% VAT component of the price - and believe me, that more than accounts for the shipping costs.

regards, Tim...
Old 02-19-01, 09:08 PM

hardtack,

I don't know how you're adding things up, but most titles are only 5% off at Amazon.co.uk.

A £19.99 title is selling at £18.99 (£1.00 discount) - £3.22 VAT + £3.95 shipping = £19.72. Choice Direct would offer the same title at £15.99 shipped.

Unless your are able to use a coupon at Amazon.co.uk, I think it's hardly the cheapest price. But I would agree with you that on certain items with higher discount or larger orders Amazon.co.uk may be cheaper.

One other advantage from Choicesdirect is that they don't use custom labels on small packet -- so far all my orders entered in Canada without being charged by the customs.
Old 02-19-01, 10:10 PM

About a month ago I posted a topic about Choicesdirect before I placed my order with them, but didn't get much of a response. I went ahead and placed the order. It took longer to arrive compared to Blackstar, but I am satisfied overall.
As stated in the previous post, you could only save on a large order from Amazon. It makes more sense to order single items from places like Choicesdirect and Blackstar to avoid customs charges.
Old 02-19-01, 11:58 PM

Originally posted by boies00
hardtack,

I don't know how you're adding things up, but most titles are only 5% off at Amazon.co.uk.

A £19.99 title is selling at £18.99 (£1.00 discount) - £3.22 VAT + £3.95 shipping = £19.72. Choice Direct would offer the same title at £15.99 shipped.

Unless your are able to use a coupon at Amazon.co.uk, I think it's hardly the cheapest price. But I would agree with you that on certain items with higher discount or larger orders Amazon.co.uk may be cheaper.

One other advantage from Choicesdirect is that they don't use custom labels on small packet -- so far all my orders entered in Canada without being charged by the customs.
Snatch at Choicedirect 19.99... at AmazonUK shipped = 19.96 including shipping (17.01 plus 2.95) - and remember that that unlike AmazonUK, the Choicedirect price is a special limited offer at 20% off. (The Amazon figures are based on my own order) - also, here in Australia there are no customs charges applied.

regards, Tim...
Old 02-20-01, 01:56 AM

I didn't say that Choicesdirect is cheaper on all. Beecause of their current promotion many titles are cheaper than Amazon.co.uk. Lately, I have placed a lot of preorders from Choicedirect -- they are always 20% off. I would like to be able to say the same about Amazon -- £1.00 off £19.99 only on too many DVDs.

If you don't want to buy there, it's your choice. But I can't see any point in your latest post since it brings nothing new to the discussion -- you only confirmed that, as I said, some DVDs are cheaper at Amazon.co.uk. Everybody on dvdtalk would check anyway before ordering.

As for the custom charges, if there are none in Australia, good for you. Others maybe concerned with that problem.

Old 02-20-01, 05:40 AM

Sorry for being this stupid but does -20% mean from retail (or whatever you call it in UK) price or their price? What I mean it says on top of front page -20% and below Snatch £24.99 £19.99. Am I going to pay £19.99 or only £15.99?
Old 02-20-01, 03:30 PM

Originally posted by DVD_fan
Sorry for being this stupid but does -20% mean from retail (or whatever you call it in UK) price or their price? What I mean it says on top of front page -20% and below Snatch £24.99 £19.99. Am I going to pay £19.99 or only £15.99?
That amount is after the 20% discount... the 24.99 figure is the standard retail price.

boies00... let me preface this by saying that my posts are definitely not directed at you in any personal sense - I am merely trying to show that these "free shipping" places are not always all they are cracked up to be and that people should exercise a little caution before diving in at the first sign of what appears on the surface to be a good deal - and I do not doubt that Choicedirtect's heart is in the right place.

Firstly an anomaly in your last response: you stated that Choicesdirect "... are always 20% off", yet the Choicesdirect email you posted at the beginning of this thread clearly states that the 20% discount only runs "...from today until 10am on Monday 26th February...".

The reason I used Snatch as an example in my other post is that it was being cited as a great deal in that email and because, like Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon in R3, Snatch is currently the main reason many people will be ordering from R2 and taking advantage of this sale price. You are right, I didn't bring anything new to the discussion, I merely highlighted something I thought people might like to be aware of.

I did do a test using an order of 5 DVDs I have made at AmazonUK as a comparison and this was the result:

Two of the pre-orders (the Australian film Chopper and Thunderbirds Six - the Movie) were not listed on the Choicesdirect site - yet they have been on both AmazonUK and BlackStar for at least a couple of weeks.

The other three titles: Woody Allen's What's Up Tiger Lily, Snatch, and League of Gentlemen (TV series) came to a total of 49.74 at AmazonUK (incl shipping) and came to 48.77 at Choicedirect (taking into account the 20% special offer) - just one pound difference (what would it have been if I placed the same order after Feb 26?)

Sure, I agree that while this 20% offer is available, for some titles it is going to be cheaper and that is great - if you are someone who likes to order DVDs one at a time. My point is that people should always do a comparison first.

regards, Tim...
Old 02-20-01, 07:41 PM

hardtack,

Sorry if I misinterpreted you previous post.

Just a precision to the 20% discount. Preorders are always 20% off at Choicesdirect while other titles are usually 10% off. This has been their policy since I start buying there a few months ago.

Up to February 26, they also extend the 20% discount to items that are not on preorder. That's was the point of their sale.

Old 02-20-01, 10:37 PM

Out of interest, is anyone else having problems ordering from here? I keep on getting an error message when I click the order button.

Getting a tad frustrating as I really want to place an order for one of my favourite films (finally at a decent price - I knew waiting would pay off).

Ian
Old 08-10-05, 11:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Has anyone shopped here since 2001? I found a good deal on a disc, but I've never purchased from them before.
Old 08-10-05, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by cmleidi
Has anyone shopped here since 2001? I found a good deal on a disc, but I've never purchased from them before.
you are an idiot.
Old 08-10-05, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

why is he an idiot? instead of posting a new thread he looked up an already existing one and asked a question.

Last edited by BuddhaWake; 08-11-05 at 05:17 AM.
Old 08-10-05, 02:31 PM
Mod Emeritus

I make irregular purchases from them and have never had a problem. But of course I am in the UK....

animatedude [and anyone else with equally poor manners], there is absolutely no need to berate a member who actually thinks to use the search function before posting. Please re-read the rules on personal attacks before you earn yourself a short posting holiday.

--
Benedict
Moderator, International DVD Talk
Old 08-10-05, 04:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by animatedude
you are an idiot.
awwwwwwwwwwwwwww come on. he was just kiddin, ma! He was just playin!

in other news...

think the deal is dead?
Old 08-21-05, 10:39 AM

I've ordered and received some sets from them over the last couple of moths (to Norway).
Prompts shipping, good communication when an item was delayed by a couple of days (they said expected delay of 1-2 weeks, but still shipped after just 2 or 3 extra days), the packaging has been good, and all items have arrived in good shape.
From shipping until arrived has taken a bit longer than it usually does from AmazonUK.
Old 08-21-05, 12:20 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
think the deal is dead?
http://www.choicesdirect.com/include...ostage1520.asp

See also:
All UK orders are despatched FREE OF POSTAL CHARGES. This applies to orders placed via the Internet only. The charges for overseas orders are:

Europe £2 per order
Rest Of The World £5 per order
The charges for overseas orders are per order, no matter how many titles have been ordered. Please note that if it is necessary to part-dispatch titles on one order, you will still only be charged once for postage.

We make every effort to ensure that your goods are delivered to you as quickly as possible, [....]

IMPORT DUTIES AND TAX CHARGES

All Customers should be aware that when ordering goods from ChoicesDirect, for delivery over seas, you may be subject to Import Duties and Tax Charges, which are levied once the package arrives in your country.

Any such additional charges must be borne by your-selves. We do not have any control. Over these charges, and we cannot predict their value.

Customs Conditions vary from country to country, so we would recommend that you contact your local Customs Office for further information.

Please note: When ordering from ChoicesDirect you must comply with any Laws and Regulations of the Country in which you are receiving the goods to.

Overseas customers please note that whilst our Customer confidentiality is of High Importance to us, all international shipments are subject to opening and inspection by customs Authorities.

If you have any further questions please email us at [email protected], or else telephone us on +44 (0)870 4003838
Old 08-23-05, 05:18 AM

They are also a sponsor on the DVDForums and have their own supplier thread.
Old 08-23-05, 06:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

...and to think I used to get bagged for resurrecting threads...