Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

open letter to Blockbuster.com (negative)

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

open letter to Blockbuster.com (negative)

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-01, 12:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dear Customer Care,

On Feb.15, 2001, I placed an order from Blockerbuster.com for a Nintendo 64 game entitled Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine. This title is an exclusive to Blockbuster. This was also my first experience with doing business with Blockbuster.com.

I must admit, I am somewhat of a collector of rare computer/video games. That is what intrigued me about Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine. Several years down the road, a video game such as this might yield a valuable return; especially in mint condition that had never been played.

I chose to ship UPS Overnight. The total price for this item was almost $60.

It arrived today. It appeared that it had some sort of crude cardboard wrapper taped around it. When I removed the cardboard, not surprisingly, the game box was completely crushed. It actually appeared as if a drunken angry factory employee had stomped it several times with a heavy workboot. But considering the obvious and complete disregard for the shipping conditions, it could just as easily been placed under several other heavy boxes, as the result would look similar.

The item, of course, is worthless to me in this condition.

The actual game cartridge and the instructions seem to be in fair condition. The box is completely unsalvageable.

As I gaze back and forth between the destroyed game box and the flimsy piece of cardboard that the item was crushed between, I am overcome with the feeling that Blockbuster.com didn't give a damn whether the item arrived safely or if it arrived crushed. After selecting and paying for the most expensive shipping option offered, my item was protected with a simple cardboard envelope that probably aided in the destruction more than preventing any.

So I would like to inform you, that I will not only avoid doing business with Blockbuster.com in the future; but I will also illustrate to as many people, the details of this experience, as I possible can. I will actively post about this experience in all the forums in which I subscribe and will broadcast this terrible experience to all my family, friends and neighbors.

This is not how great companies expand. This is how mediocre companies fade into bankruptcy.

Sincerely,
Jamison
Old 02-17-01, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Clear and concise. Sorry about your trouble with this behemoth. I'd be interested in their response
Old 02-17-01, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Pretty much sums up why I refuse to give them my business both online and at their rental stores!!!
Old 02-17-01, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Like most other online store, they will probably send you a template reply which basically says you can go f*ck yourself... That's what I get when I Email most places.
Old 02-17-01, 12:49 PM

And Blockbuster.com's response...

Thank you for shopping Blockbuster.com!

Dear Jamison:

Order Number: XXXXXXX [order number removed]

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience you experienced regarding your order. We believe that your package was damaged during delivery. To correct this matter, we have issued you a Return Authorization to initiate the crediting process. Your RA code is: XXXXXXX [RA # removed]. Please follow the return instructions on your invoice to send this package back to our distributor. We are also sending you a Pre-Paid Shipping Label to cover the cost of returning shipping. You will receive this item in approximately 3-5 business days.

Once the package is received at our facilities, a credit will be issued. You can expect to see this credit within 30-60 days or 1-2 billing cycles. If you'd like to place a new order for "Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine", you can do so by visiting us online at http://www.blockbuster.com, or you can contact us directly and one of our agents will be happy to assist you.

Once again, we are very sorry for this inconvenience, and we look forward to correcting this as quickly as possible!

Your satisfaction is our top priority. If you have any questions or would like to speak to a customer-care representative, send us an email at [email protected] or call us at 800-441-4736.

Thank you,
Blockbuster.com Customer Care

PS: If you haven't already done so, please register at blockbuster.com to receive advance notice regarding the latest releases of movies and games, plus great promotions we have to offer.

Old 02-17-01, 12:50 PM

and my reply...

Dear Customer Care,

>> "We believe that your package was damaged during delivery."

You're damn right the package was damage during shipping! And the reason it was damaged is because of the shoddy shipping conditions Blockbuster.com arranged. A cardboard envelope will NEVER be enough to protect a thin cardboard game box.

>> "Once the package is received at our facilities, a credit will be issued. You can expect to see this credit within 30-60 days or 1-2 billing cycles."

I apologize in advance for using such strong language. But as civililized as we wish to believe ourselves to be, every man has a breaking point. And at that breaking point, an otherwise cultured and respectful individual can digress into crude and primitive acts of expression. So when Blockbuster.com asks me to ship this item back to Blockbuster.com and wait 60 days "to see this credit", I reach such a breaking point.

F@ck you.

Sincerely,
Jamison

[Edited by Jamison on 02-17-01 at 03:12 PM]
Old 02-17-01, 01:21 PM

Pain in the arse

Dude.. that sux.

I am sorry I guess I will never do business with them.

Old 02-17-01, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: And Blockbuster.com's response...

Originally posted by Jamison
PS: If you haven't already done so, please register at blockbuster.com to receive advance notice regarding the latest releases of movies and games, plus great promotions we have to offer.

Old 02-28-01, 05:11 PM

Just for the record, when I went to actual Blockbuster stores in my home area, every single manager was rude. Some even explained that they were in direct competition with Blockbuster.com. One manager had the audacity to state, "You learned the lesson the hard way."

Indeed I did. Never again.
Old 02-28-01, 10:22 PM

Vote with your feet!

Vote with your feet - shop elsewhere!

Old 03-07-01, 04:22 PM

Don't worry. There is no way I will ever order anything from them again.
Old 03-07-01, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 204 Likes on 118 Posts
Hey wait, I run a website...
http://www.ihateblockbuster.com

Thanks