Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

How is DVDOvernight?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

How is DVDOvernight?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-01, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been considering trying out another online DVD rental place (no Netflix, ugh), and DVDOvernight looks pretty decent. You can order 4 movies at a time, and with shipping it ends up being $3.75 per movie. I like the fact that you pay per movie, not a flat membership fee.

A search didn't turn up much-- I guess the site was down for remodelling for a while. Anyway, are there any users of DVDOvernight who can comment on their service? How long does it take for your DVDs to get to you? (I live in Maryland.) How are they about keeping track of the DVDs (ie. not misfiling them and claiming you lost them, for instance!) Any problems with your credit card being charged more than it should be?

Also some questions on their policies: Do the 7 days of your rental start from the time you order or the time you receive the DVD? It says that there is a limit of 4 movies per order. Can you make another order before all the previous order's movies are back?

What do you think? Is it worthwhile?
Old 02-16-01, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
I placed my 1st order with them yesterday and I received a notice that my movies had shipped w/in 2 hours of placing the order. Now that is fast! They are located in PA, so if you are in MD, I would think you would get them w/in 2 days (I am in VA so I can keep you posted on my experience).

The prices are same as Blockbuster (actually a little cheaper because you get the 8th movie free so it comes to $3.37/movie) and their selection puts BB to shame. I prefer DVDO to Netflix because DVDO rents adult movies as well.

It looks like they build in delivery time to the order (4 day max delivery time). From their website: "You will ALWAYS have a minimum of 7 days to enjoy your rentals. Here's how it works - - once you receive your movies, just remember to drop them into a U.S. mailbox by the date indicated on the package which is normally 7-9 days from the day you recieve it. We allow up to 5 days for your return to arrive back after your due date." They said if the order is delayed, send an e-mail and they will extend the rental period.

You can have 2 active orders going at any time.

I'll keep you posted with my 1st experience with them.
Old 02-17-01, 06:36 AM
Cool New Member

DVD Overnight

I've been using them for about 8 months now. I would say that they are first rate across the board. I live in Connecticut and typically receive within 2 days from ordering. As mentioned in the last Post,you will usually have at least 7 days to view the movies. I can also say that I have had a couple of occassions where my DVD Player could not read a DVD. I sent an e-mail to DVDO and they credited my account for the DVD. Also, all the DVD's I have rented are in very good shape, unlike some of the DVD's I have received when I rented from NETFLIX.Again, DVDO rules!!
Old 02-17-01, 07:35 PM

I've used them for adult titles and the service has been great.
Highly Recommend!

videoking
Old 02-20-01, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
Just for update, I ordered them on Thursday and got them on Saturday (VA resident) so that is pretty fast. It says if I drop them back in a mailbox on Feb 26 (Monday), then I am fine. 9 days for the rental duration which is great.
Old 02-21-01, 10:53 AM

I've only used this service once myself, but I would definitely use them again. (Just haven't been in a mood to rent anything in a while.) With the comings and goings of the US Postal Service and the suggested due date, I wound up with about a 12-day rental period. That was nice! They emailed me when my order shipped, and again when they got them back. My only caveat is that most of the new releases seem to be out-of-stock whenever I look for them. Therefore, I'm more inclined to use this service for the slightly older or more "obscure" titles that my local stores don't stock at all.