Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

new release of Mad Max in Japan

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

new release of Mad Max in Japan

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-01, 05:03 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anyone know if the version of Mad Max that is included in the box set is the same as the single edition? (Both coming out on 23/02/2001) The different cover and the description at http://www.cdjapan.co.jp suggests otherwise, but it seems daft for WB to press two different DVDs?

Also, does anyone know anything about features/extras on these disks?

I would appreciate any insight so I can go ahead and pre-order the box set which is said to be a limited edition.

Roolku

Old 02-15-01, 06:40 AM

Mad Max box set?! What regions is this coming out in?

Haven't heard anything for R1?
Old 02-15-01, 06:56 AM
Cool New Member

Japan is region 2 but NTSC.

According to http://www.madmaxmovies.com this is the only version with the original australian soundtrack.

The cover art can be found here:

http://www.warnervideo.co.jp/newdvd/0103/DL-11170.html
http://www.warnervideo.co.jp/newdvd/0103/SD-23.html

Unfortunately I don't read japanese.

Roolku
Old 02-22-01, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
BTW -- it's only R2, -- it's essentially just a rerelease of the original Japanese version -- with American dub, Australian original track Audio, and subtitles: Japanese, American dub titles.

supposedly the Rerelease version of Road Warrior which is part of the box set also includes a short documentary on the making of RW. These were just released on the 23rd -- which is today in Australia and Tomorrow here in the US -- cool.

I had checked madmaxmovies.com a little earlier tonight before reading your thread -- and yes, I just had to go ahead and order a copy of the box set -- I'm a sucker

At any rate http://www.madmaxmovies.com has a complete list of all the features on the new version -- hmm. just checked, the list of features is for the old version but I think it's the same. Go to the main page and click on the link for Japanese DVD to see all the info.

At any rate $62.13 shipped for the box set is pretty good IMO. I'm just hoping and praying that my dvd-rom will play them otherwise I'm screwed

Tuan Jim
Old 02-26-01, 09:52 AM

cost of shipping to East Coast?

I have been looking for a copy of the un-dubbed version of Mad Max for a while. I have a copy of a copy of the VHS version, but you can imagine its picture quality. I am not really intereste din the whole boxed set, just the Road Warrior.

Anybody know what shipping would be for one DVD from the above-mentioned Japanese website to the East Coast (PA)?

Thanks!

George
Old 02-26-01, 09:57 AM

I'm an idiot

I know I contradicted myself above -- but I just want to stress that I am looking for MAD MAX (not Road Warrior).

Duh.

George
Old 02-26-01, 02:16 PM

Never mind -- couldnt wait. Its a flat shipping fee to the USA. The total with shipping came to $30.

I would have gone for the box set except that I already have the Road Warrior and have no intention of ever owning Beyond Thunderdome (unless it was a gift).
Old 03-07-01, 06:40 AM
Cool New Member

The set arrived today and looks very exciting. I can't wait to watch the movies. One thing however is a bummer - the chapter listings are in japanese (well, I suppose that was to be expected).

Anyway. Since it is a Warner publication I was hoping the chapter stops are at the same position as on the R1, R4 or R2 (Europe) DVD. So I am looking for the chapter listing for the 3 movies any region - does anyone know a place where they could exist on the web? Or could a kind soul perhaps scan in the page and email it to [email protected]? BTW: there are 23 chapter stops in MM1, 32 in MM2 and 30 in MM3.

Cheers
Roolku
Old 03-07-01, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm still waiting for mine. Let us know how yours turns out. I can look at my MM dvd tonight, but since it was released by Image in the US, not Warner (see my original rant in the dvdtalk forum), there's not much whatsoever in features. If you clicked menu on the dvd it took you directly to a barebones chapter list. So, I kinda doubt it'll be exactly the same. You might try checking out http://www.madmaxmovies.com and see if they have any info there. The webmaster there is pretty cool too, and will generally try to answer your questions about stuff. I know he pre-ordered it as well, so he may have viewed his already. I don't know.

Tuan Jim
Old 03-13-01, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

woohoo!!! got my copy and the australian track is definitely much better than the US dub. Took me a while to figure out where it was though since the menus are in Japanese.

The audio menu is second from the bottom -- top choice of audio is the US Dub, and the bottom option is the original audio.

The bottom option on the main menu is subtitles: 1 for the dub, one for the original, and one for japanese. Didn't take the time to figure out which is which though.

oh well.

Tuan Jim

btw. the chapter breaks also seem to be in different spots depending which audio you chooose -- at least that's the way it looks.
Old 03-14-01, 01:04 PM

Just got my copy as well. For anyone who has it out there -- can you get 5.1 sound? It states on the back that its Dolby Digital, but I only get sound from the front (Left Center and Right) speakers and nothing from the rear.

Is it because it's only available in regualr stereo? Let me know if anyone else has had any different experiences sound-wise.

Old 03-14-01, 06:11 PM
Banned

It`s Dolby Digital Mono. There is no 5.1 sound with the original Mad Max. Also, it is not 16x9 enhanced.
Old 03-15-01, 09:39 AM

Yeah I figured that out about 10 minutes after I posted. Ah well. Still in all, a nice piece of cinema.

George
Old 03-15-01, 03:25 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

There was a print touring the U.S. that had a great DD 5.1 remix of the ORIGINAL soundtrack. It was fantastic and hopefully will find its way to DVD in the U.S. later this year.
Old 03-15-01, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Matt Stevens
There was a print touring the U.S. that had a great DD 5.1 remix of the ORIGINAL soundtrack. It was fantastic and hopefully will find its way to DVD in the U.S. later this year.
I would love to know how they could take an original mono/stereo track from 1979 or thereabouts and transform it into dd5.1.

Tuan Jim
Old 03-15-01, 05:57 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

It's done all the time! Warner did it with most of Clint Eastwood's 1970's films and Paramount is doing it with many 70's films as well.

As long as the original sound stems exist, they can do a new mix.