Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Review Wanted: Shock Corridor (Criterion)

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Review Wanted: Shock Corridor (Criterion)

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-01, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This criminal story about the journalist that enters the assylum, what is your opinion of this movie? I am thinking of getting it, so I would really like to know what you think. Thanks.
Old 02-14-01, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

This won't help yet, but I preordered this yesterday. Tell you what I think when I get it.
Old 02-14-01, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
got a chance to rent the criterion LD about 5 years ago. was really excited to be able to finally see it as i'd seen it in criterion catalogs and mentioned in film essays for so long and always wondered what it was like. was pretty dissapointed. the central conceit of him getting into the asylum is so contrived that it kept me from ever getting into the movie. i didn't finish it though, so if you have no trouble w/ the set-up you might end up really liking it. Fuller is definately an acquirred taste. like all the other philistines, the only movie of his i really like is THE BIG RED ONE...probably his most conventional movie.
Old 02-14-01, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by DVD Smurf
This criminal story about the journalist that enters the assylum, what is your opinion of this movie? I am thinking of getting it, so I would really like to know what you think. Thanks.
This is one of my favorite films of all time, especially when you consider that this film was made in the early 60s, 1963 I believe. I like it so much that I don't want to give too much away, except that you should look at the Mental institution in the film as a metaphor for the USA. If you do like this film, I suggest, & highly recommend, that you check out his next film after Shock Corridor, Naked Kiss from 1964 about a prostitute who decides to change her lacivious & salacious ways and moves to a little town full of hypocrits. Both DVDs are available from Criterion for $29.95, they only have a trailer & the transfer isn't anamorphic but there still pleasing black & white letterboxed transfers.
Old 02-15-01, 03:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
I haven't seen it in a few years so I can't comment much (also it's 3:30 & I have to go to sleep) but I liked it a great deal & it has stayed with me. Both Shock Corridor & Naked Kiss are on my list of dvds I haven't gotten around to buying. Both are movies I want to watch again & are unlike anything else I've seen. There's an unreality to them that I found very compelling. However, I can easily see some people mocking them & finding them hokey.

...Unreality is probably the wrong term. Some of it seems hyper real. I think the director was a newspaperman & it shows. He made daring headline type movies. Melodrama & guts.
Old 02-15-01, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Tony Block
[QUOTE

This is one of my favorite films of all time, especially when you consider that this film was made in the early 60s, 1963 I believe. I like it so much that I don't want to give too much away, except that you should look at the Mental institution in the film as a metaphor for the USA. If you do like this film, I suggest, & highly recommend, that you check out his next film after Shock Corridor, Naked Kiss from 1964 about a prostitute who decides to change her lacivious & salacious ways and moves to a little town full of hypocrits. Both DVDs are available from Criterion for $29.95, they only have a trailer & the transfer isn't anamorphic but there still pleasing black & white letterboxed transfers.
I'm in complete agreement. "Shock Corridor" is one of my favorites, too. It's a film that gets better with each viewing. Yes, it's campy and pulpy. It's also a great metaphor and the best film by a true "maverick director". It would be nice to have some extras (IFC's great documentary on Fuller would be a perfect addition to the disc.), but I'm happy just to have this on DVD with a nice transfer. (I also highly recommend "The Naked Kiss".)

That said, "Shock Corridor" is definitely not for everyone. You'll probably find that the vast majority can't stand it. However, those who enjoy it are usually very passionate in their feelings about it (and Fuller).

It's always a good idea to rent a movie before you buy it, but this is even more true with a film like "Shock Corridor". I hope you find it. I hope you enjoy it. Then pass the word on. A great film by a great talent.

jim
Old 02-15-01, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Gamblor187
I'm in complete agreement. "Shock Corridor" is one of my favorites, too. It's a film that gets better with each viewing. Yes, it's campy and pulpy. It's also a great metaphor and the best film by a true "maverick director". It would be nice to have some extras (IFC's great documentary on Fuller would be a perfect addition to the disc.), but I'm happy just to have this on DVD with a nice transfer. (I also highly recommend "The Naked Kiss".)

That said, "Shock Corridor" is definitely not for everyone. You'll probably find that the vast majority can't stand it. However, those who enjoy it are usually very passionate in their feelings about it (and Fuller).

jim
Most of my friends enjoy it when I turn them on to Shock Corridor or any other Fuller Film!!!!! Of course they comment on how over the top or operatic his films are. IMHO, Fuller is one of the top filmmakers of all time.

The Typewriter, the Rifle, & the Camera is a great documentary, I taped it on a 160 minute VHS tape along with The Crimson Kimono. Do you know if The Big Red One is the only other Fuller currently available on DVD?

Let's get these babys out on DVD, I've got many on VHS but we need them on DVD.

Street of No Return (1989)
Thieves After Dark (1984)
White Dog (1982)
Dead Pigeon on Beethoven Street (1972)
Merrill's Marauders (1962)
Underworld U.S.A. (1961)
Crimson Kimono, The (1959)
Verboten! (1958)
Forty Guns (1957)
Run of the Arrow (1957)
China Gate (1957)
House of Bamboo (1955)
Hell and High Water (1954)
Pickup on South Street (1953)
Park Row (1952)
Fixed Bayonets (1951)
Steel Helmet, The (1951)
Baron of Arizona, The (1950)
I Shot Jesse James (1949)

cheers, Tony Block
Old 02-16-01, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Do you know if The Big Red One is the only other Fuller currently available on DVD?

[/B][/QUOTE]

Yes, "Shock Corridor", "The Naked Kiss", and "The Big Red One" are the only Sam Fuller films avaialable on DVD. Sadly, many of his films are not available on VHS either.

jim
Old 02-16-01, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by ckolchak
...was pretty dissapointed. the central conceit of him getting into the asylum is so contrived that it kept me from ever getting into the movie.
Well, it is a Sam Fuller movie. Sam was basically a director who was 80% b-movie, 20% tenacious maverick, and its both of those elements that make him appealing if you can take the combination. The guy never thought of himself as any great mind, but he was a definite innovator in the autuer voice of cinema.

He can best be summed up by what he said when given a Humanitarian film award for Shock Corridor. (roughly) "I didnt make a humanitarian film. I made a goddamn action packed thriller. Give your humanitarian award to Ingmar Bergman."

[Edited by iaido on 02-18-01 at 11:50 AM]
Old 02-16-01, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Gamblor187
[/B]
Sadly, many of his films are not available on VHS either.
jim [/B][/QUOTE]

I've taped most of his films off of either TCM, Encore Mystery, Showtime & I know that IFC regularly shows Fuller movies also.

Street of No Return (1989)
Thieves After Dark (1984)

These are the only two Fuller films that I've never seen either on cable or a prerecorded VHS tape, but I'm sure that even these two titles are available through some grey market operation.

cheers, Tony Block
Old 02-18-01, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I got it and watched it yesterday, and I must admit that it was a pretty good movie. Thank you all for your help, it was very helpful.
Old 02-21-01, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I got it and watched it yesterday, and I must admit that it was a pretty good movie. Thank you all for your help, it was very helpful.
Now go get "The Naked Kiss".

jim
Old 02-21-01, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Gamblor187
Now go get "The Naked Kiss".

jim
And then The Big Red One
Old 02-22-01, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Criterion, please release Pickup on South Street!