Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Review Wanted: Diabolique (Criterion)

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Review Wanted: Diabolique (Criterion)

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-01, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This film has been recommended to me, and I thought I should check it out. What is your opinion of this film?
Old 02-15-01, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sharon Stone is great.

Just kidding!

Never seen it, sorry. Supposed to be one of the best movies Hitchcock didn't get a chance to make.
Old 02-15-01, 02:48 AM

Received 73 Likes on 50 Posts
I saw this years and years ago on TV so it's hard to judge what kind of impact it would have on me today. At that time I thought it was wonderful. I picked up the Criterion release and played it two separate times for two separate persons...both participants really liked it. It was interesting to rewatch it each time, but that "first time" thrill just can't be repeated. The Criterion edition is bare bones...just the movie and a color bar test pattern.

(By the way, I watched the remake with Sharon Stone, Chaz, Shawn Wallace, and Kathy Bates, also. I didn't think it was half-bad, but the critics were not so kind. The person I saw this version with never saw the original and really liked the remake.)

You might also try "Wages Of Fear" by the same director. Again, that "first time" viewing of this suspense classic is sweet.
Old 02-15-01, 09:06 AM

I also got recommendations for this film, since I do like thrillers. The only problem I have is the re-play value. Once was enough for me. Don't get me wrong, it's a good movie, but I just didn't have any desire to watch it again.

I also agree with Franchot that the remake wasn't too bad. I've actually seen the new version more than the original. I guess since it's a remake of a "classic thriller" critics immediately hated it.
Old 02-15-01, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I wouldn't want to part with my diabolique - it's a classic of french cinema. The newer one is definitely worth a look just for sharon stone's tongue in cheek performance - I like her best in comedy roles.
Old 02-16-01, 01:46 PM

The remake with Sharron Stone was without a doubt, one of the worst movies I ever saw in the theatre
My girlfriend and I were literally laughing out loud by the time this thing wound up....

sorry...(IMHO)

Old 02-20-01, 04:05 PM
Cool New Member

A great film, presented beautifully. There are few scrapes and nicks, but the picture is in generally very good shape. It's stable, sharp and detailed.

Well worth it and one of the GREAT horror films as well. I think it has definite re-play value, although the twist (and many jolts along the way) are ruined.
Old 02-24-01, 05:03 PM

Thank you very much, this movie is definitely a must for you who do not have it yet. And I will just say, that the end was , yes, that is another story. Thanks again.