Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

DVDs in Paris?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-01, 01:49 PM
Sem

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It looks like I'll be going to Paris, France in March. I'd like to pick up some reg.2 dvds there, but am not sure if it would be cheaper to mailorder them from the US instead. I am interested primarily in some Russ Meyer titles and R2 Angel Heart. Any advice? Are there any inexpensive dvd stores in Paris?
Old 02-14-01, 11:24 PM

Hello,

It is better to use internet to buy DVDs in France if you are not living in the EC. There are high taxes on DVDs (circa 19%) there. These taxes are removed when you order online from the US.

I order online in the following two stores:
Cinestore ( http://www.cinestore.com )and Fnac ( http://www.fnac.fr )

Cinestore:
Pro: extensive catalog. Nearly every Z2 DVD available in France is on their catalog.

Con: French only interface, and the ordering system has minor bugs (not corrected for more than one year!). Avoid ordering more than 8 items in one order.
They ship with regular mail, and it takes 4/5 weeks to receive the DVDs.
Despite these problems, it is my main source for french DVDs.

Fnac:
Pro: Shipping is fast (UPS, I think). Good web site.

Con: French only interface, good catalog, but a lot of titles are not on the catalog. Cinestore is often cheaper.
I use this site mainly to buy books and CDs.

I you decide to buy in a store in Paris, you can go the the Fnac stores: The Fnac "Champs Elysee" (near the Virgin store), the Fnac "Thermes" (5 mn walk from the Arc de Triomphe) and the Fnac "Les Halles" (Undergroud station "Les Halles"). Other good stores are the Virgin on the Champs-Elysees, and the Gibert store near the crossing of Boulevard St Michel and Rue des Ecoles (two or three Gibert stores at this crossing, one is specialized in CD, DVD and VHS). There are a few second-hand DVDs in the Gibert store.

A+,

Old 02-15-01, 12:24 PM
Sem

gilou,

Thanks for the info!