Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

express.com chapter 11 soon ?

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

express.com chapter 11 soon ?

Old 02-12-01, 01:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was just looking at express.com's new releases http://www.express.com/consumer/newarrivalmovie.asp (moderator feel free to add the referral bits) and noticed that quite a few of them are not in stock or have minimal stock.

I'll bet they aren't around much longer...
Old 02-12-01, 05:09 PM

So long as they last until that "exclusive to express" signed copy of "A Better Place" gets released. I have had that damned view askew production in preorder for over a year their. I am getting so sick of view askew not being able to release ANYTHING on time.
Old 02-13-01, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had been watching Express in December and January, waiting for movies I liked to come into stock. They never did. Movies would go straight from pre-order to backorder.

My guess is that they keep a low stock and order / ship when an order is placed with them.
Old 02-13-01, 06:59 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
DVDfile has a little info/speculation about them today ( http://www.dvdfile.com/news/editorial/index.html ). It's not much though...
Old 02-13-01, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 388 Likes on 278 Posts
I have not placed an order with them all last year/this year. Their demise will not effect me at all.
Old 02-13-01, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow! http://www.imdb.com is owned by Amazon (per the dvdfile article) (they call it "international movie database", but their link is to internet movie database).

I didn't see the connection, but it makes sense that somebody is backing them.
Old 02-13-01, 08:40 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Heat 1
Wow! http://www.imdb.com is owned by Amazon
Yeah...And it used to be a lot better before Amazon ponied up the cash...It has gone straight down the toilet since....

At least it has leveled off, but I bet there are a lot of old timers like myself who remember when imdb was MUCH better... :-)
Old 02-14-01, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Express has been in financial trouble for awhile now. In fact, most of their DVD distributors were requiring cash up front for their shipments. Ouch!
Old 02-14-01, 03:20 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Heathen
Yeah...And it used to be a lot better before Amazon ponied up the cash...It has gone straight down the toilet since....

At least it has leveled off, but I bet there are a lot of old timers like myself who remember when imdb was MUCH better... :-)
i used IMDB a lot before the Amazon purchase. how exactly was it better before? i still click on titles and get credits, i click on names and get filmographies...same as before. what's different?

DJ
Old 02-14-01, 03:31 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by djtoell

i used IMDB a lot before the Amazon purchase. how exactly was it better before? i still click on titles and get credits, i click on names and get filmographies...same as before. what's different?

DJ
ditto.
What are you talking about?
Old 02-14-01, 08:49 AM
Banned

Originally posted by djtoell

DJ
Back before Amazon.com bought imdb, it used to contain much more info (mainly obscure type info) about given movies. Since then, some of that information is no longer there. And now, the information that is there, sometimes isn't updated, and every once in a while, "every day" info, such as DVD details, is not listed, but you can click on the "Buy At Amazon.com" button, and find the info that you are looking for.

They also used to be responsive when you submitted info either new or corrected. I have sent in several changes, along with places to verify information, and not one thank you, and most of the info hasn't been changed in over 18 months...

It just isn't the same.... :-(