Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Read too much on DVD Players-Need advice

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Read too much on DVD Players-Need advice

Old 02-08-01, 05:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,

I read a whole lot about DVD Players and am trying to put 2 and 2 together to figure out the best one for me. Here is what I have:

Sony WEGA XBR TV, 10 year old Technics Receiver with Dolby

- want to connect the DVD Player directly to the TV
- want 4:3 on Player so I can see the full image on TV
- want virtual surround sound so I can use TV speakers for surround sound (not sure if I need to connect to a Receiver first before I take it to a TV)
- need zoom on DVD Player

Let me know what you think

TIA
Old 02-08-01, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

All DVD players play to a 4:3 TV and have a setting for 16x9. Most DVD players have a zoom feature.

Also on your TV. How old is it? The recent versions of the XBR only TV has progressive component inputs. You may want to check this on your TV. If that is the case I would buy a progressive-scan DVD player because the picture is much improved over non-progressive. Also the XBR has an automatic 16x9 enhanced mode. This will allow you to watch anamorphic DVDs at full resolution.

Not quite sure what you mean by virtual surround can you elaborate?
Old 02-09-01, 12:32 AM

Cheaper in retail stores vs online

Thanks for the clarification. I am looking for virtual surround sound because I don't have a dolby digital DTS receiver. If I were to connect the DVD directly to the TV, I can use the virtual surround feature to get near theater quality sound

I checked online and retail stores - the surprise is retail stores are cheaper. Sony DVPS560 is 299 at Amazon and 249 in retail stores. ALso found the same $50 diff for Panasonic DVDRV30. Check out local retail stores prices at http://SalesCircular.com
Old 02-09-01, 09:35 AM

Originally posted by publicpublic
Hi,

- need zoom on DVD Player

Let me know what you think

TIA
You will get used to widescreen!!!
Old 02-09-01, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Cheaper in retail stores vs online

Originally posted by publicpublic
I am looking for virtual surround sound because I don't have a dolby digital DTS receiver. If I were to connect the DVD directly to the TV, I can use the virtual surround feature to get near theater quality sound
Trust me, the virtual surround sound is a gimmick and doesn't give you anything remotely close to "theater quality sound". In fact, most of the time IMO it detracts from the sound, not enhances it. You won't be as satisfied as you will with the receiver's Dolby Surround. (IMO, even if you have no surround sound capabilities, you can run the DVD player's audio through the receiver, and even if you just listen in stereo, you'll notice an improvement.)

Also, as far as 4:3, I'm not sure what you're looking for, but all DVD players play 4:3 and 16:9 discs, but no player can dynamically pan & scan a widescreen DVD to make it fill the screen. If the movie is widescreen, it stays widescreen. If you refuse to watch movies in widescreen, I suggest you find a player that has a zoom feature -- although be prepared when the image looks granier when zoomed in.

- want to connect the DVD Player directly to the TV

Again, all players have composite and s-video output, and most TVs made within the last 5 years have one or both of these connections. I'm assuming by this comment, you mean you don't want to have to run the video through the receiver. You don't have to.
Old 02-09-01, 10:31 AM

Thanks for the replies. Here is what I have learnt:

- I will use the composite inputs on my WEGA for video. I don't think there is any advantage in running the video thru Receiver (correct me if I am wrong)

- Vitual surround is no good. Because I have a 10 yr old Technics reciver that's Dolby Prologic, I will run the audio to the Receiver.
Question 1: Are there any advantages to a DVD Player with Dolby Digital + DTS. Can I connect a Subwoofer directly to the DVD Player while I connect the other 2 Audio channels to the Prologic Receiver?

Qus 2: I will upgrade to a home theater system sometime in future. Is there anything I should be concerned about while buying a DVD Player?

- Based on the replies, I need a Progressive scan + Zoom. I have seen many posts about quality of zoom and scans, blips on DVD players etc.

Qus: Are there any advantages to using a Sony DVD Player like the DVPS560D with the WEGA as opposed to using the Panasonic or Toshiba

- I looked around here and also at audioreview,com. Looks like Sony, Toshiba and Panasonic are rated quite good. Any other ideas?
Old 02-09-01, 10:47 AM

First off make sure your Wega truly has progressive inputs. If they do not then don't get a progressive scan DVD player because it will be useless. If the Wega does have progressive inputs you dont want to use a composite cable for video you want to use component cables. Also if you are going to be upgrading your receiver in the future get a DVD player with either a coaxial or optical audio out that will pass the DD5.1/DTS bit stream to your DD5.1/DTS capable receiver(once you get it). Again you don't have to get a progressive scan player but if your Wega has progressive inputs the pro-scan DVD player will give you a better picture. I know that only the XBR version of the Wegas have progressive inputs.

The best thing in your case, because you are only using the stereo outs on the DVD player, for a sub is to use a cable splitters on your left and right coming out of the DVD player and send one of the split pairs to a powered sub. I you used the sub out on the DVD player you would have to set the audio to DD5.1/DTS and you would loose you stereo sound going to the TV because you are not using surround sound.
Old 02-09-01, 05:52 PM

Almost there

OK - I checked out the TV manual. This KV36XBR250 WEGA has the following:

- component video connections
- simulated surround sound
- vertical compression (wants the DVD set for 16:9 mode)

- I see no mention of progressive scan. I will still get it in the DVD so I can use it, if needed, for the next TV (hopefully a HDTV someday)

Still not decided on:

- should I get the DVD Player with DTS + Dolby digital + Zoom

- which one to get out of Sony DVPS560D and Toshiba SD1600

TIA