Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

HELP please: what's wrong with my brand new system???

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

HELP please: what's wrong with my brand new system???

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-01, 12:19 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hi!
I own a brand new Hitachi CL36WF810 Natura widescreen tv and a brand new DV535 Pioneer DVD player.(region free)I live in France but all my dvds are region 1.
I experience on many of my dvds "scrambled' pictures which last for , say, one second. It happens maybe once on each dvd I watch: eather during the film itself or in the extra section.
My dvds are also brand new: I mean i've had them for several months, but I used them rarely and on my computer.
I insist: there is no apparent scratches.
Can dust have such an effect? (scrambled picture)
Is something wrong with my TV? player? dvds???
The first time I saw it was with T2 Ultimate: when Arnold starts shooting explosives out of the building.

thanks for your help
Old 01-16-01, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Take your player back and buy another unit!!!

I would say it has to be your player!!

------------------
THE 13TH WARRIOR OF THE OTHER FORUM/CODE NAME: LYNCH/TEAM 7

Jules Winfield's Other Forum Brother......
http://www.dvdtracker.com/~djones6746.asp

"You know Andy...I never thought it would come to this....Mayberry....Gateway to danger."

Barney Fife
Old 01-16-01, 01:06 PM
Uber Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Try hooking the player up to another TV and see if you can reproduce the problem.

If so, then it's probably a problem with the player.

You also might want to check your cable connections, and maybe try new cables.

-David
Old 01-16-01, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sounds like the player. This forum has been filled with threads concerning problems with so called "regionless" DVD Players.

Usually such players are either cheap no-name brand players or modified players using bootleg region chips.

Either way, it is always the player.

You get what you pay for.

As to not end on a bad note... do as suggested earlier, hook up your DVD Player to another TV and see if you get the same results. I kind of suspect you will.

[This message has been edited by BadAsh (edited January 16, 2001).]
Old 01-16-01, 01:32 PM
Cool New Member

I'm sorry to contradict you as you seem to be anti region free: since when has Pioneer produced cheap bad players? The dv535, which was released only in Europe received excellent reviews.
Old 01-16-01, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sorry about that... I didn't notice that you were referring to a Pioneer DVD Player.

I have a Pioneer as well. Very nice player.

Is your Pioneer "region free" by design or are you using a "bootleg" region free chip?

[This message has been edited by BadAsh (edited January 16, 2001).]
Old 01-17-01, 04:47 AM
Cool New Member

the region free procedure was apparently done by Pioneer.
I'm surprised noone thinks it can come from the discs...well, it shouldn't as they're new.
What's surprising is that it appears at some point on the disc: if I "rewind" and play the scene again, it does it again. So I tried cleaning the dvd, same problem....
So, it's as if was burned on the dvd itself.
So, has anyone got the same phenomenon? Scrambled pictures for a second?
thanks
Old 01-17-01, 05:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't know anyhting, but if you can rewind to hit the EXACT problem spot..those scenes may be pushing the player to the max. I LOVE all things Pioneer, but there are lemons in EVERY batch...even if 20 people buy the top of the line, 2,000 DVD player, at least ONE will have problems.

I would exchange the player if possible, and I am betting no more problems after that.

Good luck, and post when you resolve this thing!
Old 01-17-01, 06:04 AM
Cool New Member

thanks for all your replies and particularly to the last one as it is excatly what I think. I'll let you know.
Old 01-17-01, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If the player is 'messing up' in only one spot per disc, and it always happens in the same spot, then I would think it is the layer change. Usually , this is a momentary pause in the picture, but if your player is having difficulty with the layer change (e.g., it is scrambling the image) then you should look into replacing the player. The layer change will probably always be noticeable, regardless of the player.

[ADD]
I just confirmed the layer change: "The layer change is at 73:23 for the special edition and is at 64:29 for the original theatrical version."
See if this coincides with your problem. If your image is only pausing (not pixelating or scrambling), then your player is behaving 'normally'.

[This message has been edited by DigIt (edited January 17, 2001).]
Old 01-17-01, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

quote:<HR>Originally posted by DigIt:
If the player is 'messing up' in only one spot per disc, and it always happens in the same spot, then I would think it is the layer change. Usually , this is a momentary pause in the picture, but if your player is having difficulty with the layer change (e.g., it is scrambling the image) then you should look into replacing the player. The layer change will probably always be noticeable, regardless of the player.

[ADD]
I just confirmed the layer change: "The layer change is at 73:23 for the special edition and is at 64:29 for the original theatrical version."
See if this coincides with your problem. If your image is only pausing (not pixelating or scrambling), then your player is behaving 'normally'.

[This message has been edited by DigIt (edited January 17, 2001).]
<HR>

Layer changes would not be causing the image to scramble....

------------------
THE 13TH WARRIOR OF THE OTHER FORUM/CODE NAME: LYNCH/TEAM 7

Jules Winfield's Other Forum Brother......
http://www.dvdtracker.com/~djones6746.asp

"You know Andy...I never thought it would come to this....Mayberry....Gateway to danger."

Barney Fife
Old 01-24-01, 05:13 PM
Cool New Member

hi guys,
well, I've just discovered that the problem only happens when I'm using RGB signals. So today, I took my players with the scart connector to a famous French store.(FNAC)
2 salespersons tried it on their store equipment and nothing wrong happened. So....it may come from the scart connector which is supposedly designed to receive RGB signals on the TV set... My system will be checked at home next Wednesday, so I'll let you know. Thanks again
s