Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Wanted: Review of good power cord near $100 or less

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Wanted: Review of good power cord near $100 or less

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-01, 09:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello,

I was wanting to purchase a new power cable in order to get more juice to my Denon AVR-5800. I have seen some cables for $500 - $1000 but am wanting to find something in the $100 range. Any help or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Doug
Old 01-16-01, 09:54 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
I don't get this at all.

The Denon power cord doesn't provide enough power to the Denon receiver? Or are you talking about getting a new circuit installed to provide more amperage?
Old 01-16-01, 09:56 PM

I am wanting a better quality power cord than the one that comes in the box with the Denon. Something that will pass more and cleaner current to the receiver.

Doug
Old 01-16-01, 10:06 PM
X
Administrator

It sounds like you're talking about a high amperage power conditioner as well as a power cord. You can't get more power to the cord than is coming out of the wall. Have you plugged directly into the wall in its own circuit?
Old 01-16-01, 10:09 PM

I have a Monster HTS-5000 line conditioner which has greatly improved the sound already, however I want to beef up the connection from the receiver to the line conditioner.

Doug
Old 01-16-01, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have you tried www.hometheaterforum.com ?

I'm not saying that no one here can help you, it just seems that they cater more toward what you're looking for.
Old 01-16-01, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Doug917

I am not going to answer your question, but something that helped me to obtain a cleaner sound was to install Hubbell hospital certified wall outlets in the 3 outlets that power my theater (I have lots of amps) and I also cut all the plug ends off my AC cords going to each component and replaced them with high end hospital certified Hubbell ends also. The price will vary depending on where you purchase the ends, but the whole thing cost me about $75 and a couple hours of time. You lose most of the electrical contact at the outlet not in the cord. I use SmartUPS's and Panamax line conditioners in case you were interested. I feel the combo of all this gave me the cleanest sound possible.

[This message has been edited by 4KRG (edited January 16, 2001).]
Old 01-16-01, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

you might try your question over at the SMR forum. i don't think most of the people here are into aftermarket power cords. you might also look at some reviews on perfect vision--they do power cord reviews from time to time.

btw: i didn't realize that the power cord on the 5800 is replacable?
Old 01-16-01, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

quote:<HR>Originally posted by audrey:

btw: i didn't realize that the power cord on the 5800 is replacable?
<HR>

FYI ANY power cord is replaceable

Old 01-16-01, 11:03 PM

The Denon's cord is similar to a cord on the back of a computer and is detachable. Thank you all for your suggestions.

Doug
Old 01-17-01, 11:00 PM
pmf

Doug:

Go to places like audioadvisor.com, amusicdirect.com or audiooutlet.com to check out brands they carry. The debate on power cords affecting equipment is at least as controversial if not worse than those on speaker cables & interconnects.

For the 5800's performance level what you need is to find a generic power cord with larger (or lower number) gauge cable rated for higher current ampere and may be change to higher grade (e.g. hospital graded) connectors.

PF
Old 01-17-01, 11:12 PM

X is on the right track.

It's quite amusing to see folks spend
hundreds of $$ on a fancy 3 foot cord, which
then gets plugged into a 59 cent wall outlet,
which is then attached to several hundred
feet of 15 cents/foot copper (or even
aluminum) housing wire...

Fancy power cords are the purest form of
audiophile nonsense created.

Having said all this, the real performance
boost for your Denon can be had by having
an electrician wire up a dedicated 20+ AMP
circuit, then plugging your stock cord into
this dedicated source of juice.

The cost is the same (~$200), yet the performance
boost will be real, rather than perceived.

Old 01-17-01, 11:34 PM

I installed a hospital grade socket this evening and also auditioned a Transparent Powerlink Plus power cord. The outlet is on a dedicated line which only the line conditioner is plugged in to. I actually prefered the sound of the Denon's cord compared to the Transparent. With the Denon's cord I kept forgetting I was trying to listen and getting caught up in the movie I was auditioning. The socket did have some effect, but it was minute compared to the effect of recently changing line conditioners. The Transparent cord did not hug the back of the denon as well as its own cord. However, the line conditioner end of the Transparent cord REALLY fit snug into the line conditioner. I think I may try cutting off the end of the Denon's cord and putting on a hospital grade connector to mate with the line conditioner.

Thanks everyone,

Doug
Old 01-17-01, 11:40 PM
X
Administrator

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Doug917:
I actually prefered the sound of the Denon's cord compared to the Transparent...

Thanks everyone,

Doug
<HR>

This is a new one on me! If it's good enough for an iron lung...
Old 01-18-01, 12:00 AM

4KRG What do you do with the ground wire on the hospital plug when your device on the other end only uses a 2-wire connection? The line conditioner will gladly accept the 3-prong socket, but all of my components only use 2-wire connections.

Thanks,

Doug
Old 01-18-01, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If I understand you correctly.

Hosp Cert wall outlet = 3 prong
line cond = 3 prong

perfect fit

component = 2 prong
hosp cert plug end = 3 prong

not so perfect fit

Just ignore the ground connection You do not have to connect it. Since everything else is 3 prong it fits and does not matter.
Old 01-18-01, 06:16 PM
Cool New Member

Hello,
Unlike most of the people here I understand your search for a high quality power cord that doesn't require a new morgage. Check out this site www.uhfmag.com . In the audiophile store section you can see some of the higher grade power cords they sell. You can get one for around the price your looking to pay. Enjoy.
Scope!
Old 01-18-01, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
i guess this is the same as me adding another fan to cool my computer system down a couple of degrees. maybe it does not effect performance, but it makes me feel good
Old 01-19-01, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

all this for a power cord???
Old 01-19-01, 04:49 PM
Sn0
DVD Talk Special Edition

Before you go spending a fortune on power cords you have to remember a few things, first off is typical house wire is 12 gauge solid conductor. So unless you have rewired there is no reason to go larger then that. Second of all since it is solid conductor your skin effect is rather significant over a 100 or so ft run. What this translates to is even more power loss. All a conditioner will do is remove transients from the power it recieves it can generate no more power all it can do is clean up existing power. Belive me short of rewiring that whole circuit before buying an expensive power cord most of your losses are going to come from the wire leading to your receptacle not in the three foot cord going to the amp its self. No matter what you do there will always be transient power coming into your amp my advice is don't waste your money because in solid state devices the power in gets transfered between enough diodes, transistors, caps, resistors etc that you have no chance at totally eliminating distortion and in the case of a cd or dvd or any other digital recorded material there has been enough extrapolating of data that you will NEVER achieve a true to performance recording..... in short Just buy more/ better equipment or jump into analog/tube equipment and bring your pocket book and a big room. The other thing you could do is air condition the enclosure your amp is in, by keeping a constant 60 degrees you will acheive a much more signifcant gain in effiency then more power will achieve but then we are talking serious fanaticism and in my opinion a slight mental disorder but to each his own

[This message has been edited by Sn0 (edited January 19, 2001).]