Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Please help me with Video Essentials

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Please help me with Video Essentials

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-01, 12:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I must be some kind of an idiot, but I can't seem to understand how to use VE to calibrate certain levels (sharpness and color in particular and also whatever causes the "blooming"). BTW I'm using it to calibrate a Sony Wega 36FS12

With Sharpness I come to the screen with the big circle that has those lines (which have numbers on them) shooting out of it. What the heck am I actually looking for?

With Color, I'm assuming that I hold up the blue strip to my eyes during the process. Once I do that, then in which manner do I adjust the color setting?

And finally, am I the only person whose TV doesn't "bloom" when I adjust the contrast setting. If so, then what level should I put it at?

Thanks in advance for your help.

[This message has been edited by Fokker's Feint (edited January 19, 2001).]
Old 01-19-01, 01:16 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
The Wega has a good power supply and doesn't bloom. You have to use the greyscale and try to have each successive one twice as light as the previous one. They do have that on VE, don't they? I can't remember. I usually use Avia. Black level will be affected by this setting and need to be readjusted too.

Sharpness is used to set the lines and patterns to just below the point where false white edges appear. Turn the sharpness all the way down, the pattern will be too soft, then increase until the false edges appear, then back off a bit again.

With color, you're trying to get the proper blocks the same color. In Avia, they flash, can't remember in VE. Pay attention to which blocks should be the same color. It took me a while to figure that out too. First do the Saturation, then the Hue.

If you have more questions, post and I'll stick in the VE DVD. And make sure VM is OFF during all this!
Old 01-19-01, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
For color and tint you're getting the stripes to match the little blocks at the bottom. It's a little confusing the first time through, but at some point they show you which 2 need to match for color and which 2 for tint. The voiceover says that sometimes your TV will not exhibit the tendencies. My new HDTV wouldn't exhibit the sharpness problem I think. In that case start low and adjust by eye. But keep in mind most people tend to overdo it so don't crank it up.

------------------
Mitsubishi 55907, Yamaha 595a, Def Tech BP 2004's, plus center channel and surrounds, Toshiba 5109, Pioneer LD
Widescreen Presentation
Jim's DVD's
Old 01-19-01, 01:34 PM

idiot! Only kidding. I had similar problems adjusting my RPTV. I must have done the contrast from 0 to 100% three or four times looking for blooming and then I dragged my wife in the room. Either of us saw it. And the sharpness one is confusing as well.

X gave some good advice. If I remember right, the gray scales he talks about are at the 'end' of the disk where they give you other test patterns.

For Sharpness, it was tough for us to tell where it became too much. I did my best to set right, and watch the TV for a few days, actually closer to a week. Finally I brought up just a hair based on 'regular' viewing and now it looks great to us. Important to watch for a while, what they say on the disk is right, we've been trained to watch too sharp, too contrasty pictures. Get used to the picture before fooling around with it.

The color bars don't flash, but the disc gives a good example of how to identify them.
Old 01-19-01, 02:02 PM

Hey guys, thanks a lot for your responses. Unfortunately I'm at work right now and won't be able to make the adjustments until later, but at least now I know what to look for.