Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Recommendations for complete system?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Recommendations for complete system?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-01, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi - Tonight, I made up my mind that it's time to get a real system. I've built of a collection of 150+ DVDs (very, very cheaply, mind you), but I've experienced them on my JVC XV-523 DVD Player connected to my 25" Zenith TV. NO EXTRA SPEAKERS!

It's time for that to change. I plan on buying a Receiver, left / right / center / 2 rears / and a sub - the full set up. Basically, I'm looking for advice on what's the best quality for various price lines.

I don't have a set price line... of course I'm looking for a low price, but as long as the quality is noticably better, I don't mind going up. About $1,000 total for the system would be my absolute max.

Smaller speakers much prefered, as it is right now for a dorm room, and will later be for an apartment. DTS would be nice, but from all that I've read around here and experience with such DVDs, if there's much of a price increase for DTS sound, it's not worth the jump to me.

Any help or links to good research sites would be MUCH appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Jon
Old 01-18-01, 12:46 AM
Cool New Member

I have the Sony DAV-S300:

http://www.800.com/prod.asp?p=3286

It sells below $600, has DTS. It's a DVD player/receiver/5 speakers/sub. Great for smaller rooms like dorms.
Old 01-18-01, 12:51 AM

Jon,

First off let me say that DTS is definitely worth the upgrade. You will be really sorry if you spent a certain amount of money for a DD 5.1 system only, then later learn about what it is to experience DTS in all its dynamic glory. I am no expert, and am probably as new to DVDs and home theater as you are, but believe me when I say a DTS capable system is well worth the price difference.

With that said here you go. Seeing as it is you have a fairly decent DVD player as it is, you won't need a Home Theater in a Box setup that comes with a DVD player. HTIAB sometimes come with their own players like the Sony model, but you won't be needing that one. But by far, the best dollar value speaker/reciever combo is the Kenwood HTB-503. This can be had for $500, but can be found on the internet for as low as $400. But it seems that you have more money to spend on a good reciever and speakers. For speakers, the best dollar value set are the Energy Take 5's w/8" sub. These speakers retail for $800, but the entire set with sub can be had for $500. Check out www.audioshop.on.ca for the best prices. The Take 5's, are widely regarded as the best 5.1 speaker setup under $1000. I have them and I can personally vouch for them. I have a 10X10 bedroom where the Take 5's are setup, and the sound they produce is just OVERWHELMING for such a small space! And I can't imagine that your dorm room is any bigger then my bedroom. So when you finally do get that apartment, I am sure that the Take 5's can accommodate your new spacious living room.

For a reciever, I recommend the Onkyo 575x. you can get this little gem for as low as $325 from www.jandr.com.

Furthermore, do some more research on any potential product that you may buy at www.audioreview.com. This site has actual customer feedback on any listed piece of equipment.

Anyways, good luck and enjoy
Old 01-18-01, 11:57 AM

A guy I work with just got a great deal at 800.com It is hometheater month there with a bunch of good deals.

He picked up a Harmon Kardon AVR-210 ($600 MSRP) and a complete set of Audio Research speakers ($1300 MSRP) shipped for $976. One of the deals right now is buy a DD reciever and get 20% off of speakers. Additionally, there is a coupon for 5% off your purchase when you use a citibank card.

More coupon info here...

Brian
Old 01-18-01, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sony dbr 940, psb 4ts fronts, 8c center, 1b rears all for 1k great setup for the $$$.
Old 01-18-01, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd go along with niggenz's suggestion: Energy Take 5's from Canada (best price I've seen on them). Maybe upgrade to the 10" sub. Also check out the Denon or Yamaha receivers (Denon 1801 etc.). Avoid the low-end Sonys, Pioneers, JVCs, etc. The Deonon/Onkyo/H-K/Yamaha receivers (with high-current amps) will put out a lot more clean power (and sound!) than the other brands above that have higher watts-per-channel ratings. Also check out ubid.com for great prices on refurbed units. I've never had a problem with one.
Old 01-18-01, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I for it too. Go for the Take 5 system with the Onkyo receiver. I've haven't heard a bad thing about either yet. You may also want to consider the Paradigm Cinema package as well, that's pretty sweet too. I can personally vouch for both of them.