Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

DVDEmpire Crumbles

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

DVDEmpire Crumbles

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-00, 12:46 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DVDEmpire Crumbles

Chronology of a failed order

Ordered 26/08/00, 4 currently released DVDs including The Blade Runner Collectors Box set. I received NO email notification of the receipt of this order, shipping or invoicing, contrary to policy stated on their web site*

Faxed Credit Card details 29/08/00, and what do you know, no email to confirm that I didn't just fax a photocopy of my credit card to some college kids dorm room.

30/08/00 -> 26/10/00 An eternity of waiting where I forgot about the order.

Order shipped 13/10/00 AGAIN no email about the items being shipped*

Order Received 26/10/00 the order contained the standard directors cut version of Blade Runner listed on their web site as ID 10, Item Code 12682 $18.95. What I should have received and what was stated at my invoice was Blade Runner: Collector's Edition, ID 13691, Item Code 201075 @ $55.00

Emailed the Returns department 31/10/00 and I'm still waiting for what would be my VERY FIRST email from this loathsome company.

I refuse to blindly send back something to a company that is simply incompetent and refuses point blank to engage in any communication what so ever. I'm 100% certain that if I blindly sent BR-DC back with my original invoice I would never see it again let alone receive the Collectors Box set.

This isn't web-based commerce it's mail fraud. If fact this may not even be a valid contract.

*From the DVD Empire web page
------------------------------------
Confirming E-Mails
You are e-mailed a confirmation when you place your order. Then you are e-mailed when it ships with details about how, when, and via what carrier.
-----------------------------------

What does this tell me about DVD Empire, they took forever to fill a simple order, finally they just gave up sent out anything. Obviously they cannot afford to keep sufficient quantities of inventory and/or their inventory system is so poor that they go by the title of the film not the inventory item number, let alone the fact that the box for BR-CB is 6 times larger than the one for 4 DVDs.

This company's customer service is a joke. If you want to see world-class service send a message to blackstar.co.uk you will INSTANLY get a reply giving an estimate of the time to reply. You will then get a reply, typically within 30 minutes any time of the day or night. If this company moved heavily into region one DVDs they would crush pathetic companies like DVDEmpire.

Interesting to note that other DVD companies for the past month have had "Leon the directors cut", listed as being on backorder due to the fact that it's being re-mastered (re-issued ~ 15/11/00) DVDempire has it as being "in stock". On www.DVDtalk.com, a number of people have ordered and received Leon-DC only to have to chase Empire up for a replacement.

It seems that they will gladly take your money knowing that it will have to be returned at the customers expense. The only reason for doing this is that they are drastically short of cash and have no ethics what so ever.

It's no surprise that they're one of the few sites to you require faxing of credit card details? The answer can only be that they have very few auditing procedures and backend verification of credit card details.
The sooner Visa sorts out these cowboys the better. http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/6/14625.html

This company treats international buyers with utter contempt assuming that no one will go to the expense of returning orders that they have screwed up and ripped us off on.

I have already lodged this with the Better Business Bureau of Pittsburgh http://www.pittsburgh.bbb.org/ but I don't think that DVD empire know what many of those words mean.

Ian

------------------
DVD Empire will steal your money
Old 11-18-00, 06:36 AM

You're not alone. I pre-ordered The Fly/Fly 2 and the director's cut Lethal Weapon box set from them. Weeks after the release date I still hadn't received anything. Their site still showed ON ORDER. Weeks after this 1 showed IN STOCK with the other still ON ORDER. More weeks passed. When I checked the site again, both titles showed ON ORDER. Getting pissed I went to the site one last time to cancel the order. The site's response CAN"T CANCEL ORDER.
Fortunately,in the meantime, my credit card acct had to be changed due to unautherized charges so I just let things be knowing they couldn't bill me since they didn't have my new number.
To date - I have not heard anything from them. Naturally, I will never attempt to use them again
Old 11-18-00, 07:45 AM

Ian Reid-Welcome to DVDTALK. I'm sorry you too are having trouble with DVD EMPIRE. They use to care, and you would see them come to this board from time to time to help people out.

You are right about the e-mail problem as I too have had the same experience. When I had trouble with my last order I e-mailed them and got no reply. I then started sending the same e-mail every day and still got no reply but they did fix the problem.

I think I would have felt better about the whole issue if they had just acknowledged my letter and told me they would take care of it, just a few words would have been nice.

Well to each his own.

------------------
DVD DEVIL

Born to be Badd!!!
Old 11-18-00, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Please contact Steven N regarding all of your problems. There is a thread here which should list his e-mail address.

He's very good concerning these things.

------------------
Frequently doing the undoable...
Old 11-18-00, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Steven N

Where are you??? Steven use to check in from time to time...I am surprised to see this lack of customer service on their part!!!

------------------
http://www.dvdtracker.com/~djones6746.asp

"You know Andy...I never thought it would come to this....Mayberry....Gateway to danger."

Barney Fife
Old 11-20-00, 11:42 AM

I was at home with Bronchitis....sometimes even I fall ill.

Problem Fly/Fly 2: Please note that this was a studio problem and I am confident that I posted a message or two about it. The overall problem is that FOX has changed replicators and instead of migrating their business gradually, they did it all at once and this title was one of the bumps...all of the retailers had the same problem and we were the ones to have it first once it was available. I apologize for not posting this alert better within this forum...but problems like these are beyond our control.

As for our stock....trust me if you can, we are stacked to the walls and receive product at multiple times during the day.

Customer Service: We have just recently hired several new CSR's and the training involved with getting them up to speed for the holidays is intense...again our apologies for the delays.

Ian: I have sent this posting to our Lead CSR for processing....you have my e-mail address now, keep me updated on the happenings.

Best Regards,
Steven

------------------
My submissions and/or responses are in no way an effort to promote our business. However, they are offered as a perspective from someone who works in the industry of Home Entertainment.
Old 11-20-00, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for checking in and letting everyone know what is up with your store!!!

------------------

"You know Andy...I never thought it would come to this....Mayberry....Gateway to danger."

Barney Fife
Old 11-20-00, 01:27 PM

Ian:

If you could, please e-mail me personally. By our records, your e-mail address seems to be to an educational institution...if this is so, our address may be blocked from your server and this may be the reason why you are not receiving e-mails.

Looking forward to our messaging.

Steven Negri
Director of Marketing
DVDEmpire.com

------------------
My submissions and/or responses are in no way an effort to promote our business. However, they are offered as a perspective from someone who works in the industry of Home Entertainment.
Old 11-20-00, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

dvd empire crumbles......i can uderstand your anger, but instead of using a brash approach toward your reply, why don't you first ask the members what's up with the store. maybe "dvd empire problems' or something to that effect. i have been having problems with other etailers, and as said before, i see your point, but www.dvdempire.com has covered all orders completely. the way you come accross is that dvd empire is closing up. noes boxset arrived last week promptly and w/o damage. will do business with them again.
Old 11-20-00, 11:59 PM
Cool New Member

I only used them once. It was nearly two years ago and it was their adult arm, but, they don't seem to have improved.

I ordered a couple of VCDs (I didn't have a DVD player at the time) for my PC and whoever filled the order obviously didn't read the order properly since they sent me CD-ROM versions of two of the discs (out of 4) and one was even the wrong title. I e-mailed them, then sent the two discs back, explaining plainly the problem (even including a photocopy of the covers, pointing out the difference between CD-ROMs and VCDs) and THEY STILL COULDN'T GET IT RIGHT. They sent me back one one on CD-ROM and a second copy of one of the two titles that they had sent in the first place.

Since the original cost of the discs wasn't great, I gave up. Also, ordering from them is expensive, internationally and their prices to places abroad isn't the best compared with Reel, Express since. So I never went back to them.

Just wanted to get my 2 cents worth in....
Old 11-21-00, 11:53 PM
Cool New Member

I'm a bit late getting this reply off since the net access has been really bad downunder the last couple of days after the submarine link to Singapore was damaged by a fishing trawler or something. Consequently my home ISP was totally down even their toll free help line was engaged. Fortunately the work ISP uses a different wholesaler so I'm back on deck.
---------------------------
Customer Service: We have just recently hired several new CSR's and the training involved with getting them up to speed for the holidays is intense...again our apologies for the delays.
I saw the advertisements online, so you admit that you're understaffed in both warehouse and CS areas, no kidding. Your new ASP programmer should address the design/database problem below.
Ian: I have sent this posting to our Lead CSR for processing....you have my e-mail address now, keep me updated on the happenings.

If you could, please e-mail me personally. By our records, your e-mail address seems to be to an educational institution...if this is so, our address may be blocked from your server and this may be the reason why you are not receiving e-mails.
I just checked your account modification pages and purchases checkout page, to try and verify my email address but there is no indication of what the stored email address IS, nor is there any facility to change it. I checked my printed and saved HTML order pages as well.

That's really poor design, what's the point of storing account information if the customer can't change/view the fields, especially when it's essential for communication, I check everything if I saw it I would have changed it. That address dates back from my February 1998 order, when I was teaching at uni I've since moved on.

Having gone through the process about 4 months ago of changing my email address so my ISP could have an "i" in front of its' name (I'm not kidding), it's not something you want to do very often. However on all the news, subscription and shopping sites that I use regularly, I found it very easy to change, as it should be.

Summing up
Your company has a real blind spot with emails and it's not just with me.
Why do you have to handle CS on a web forum?
Why do I have to handle CS problems on a web forum?

You still haven't explained why your company ignored my returns email, which quoted all the information you needed.

I don't think I'm over reacting given all these posts from people who go nuts if their order is a day late. If a B&M shop didn't answer the phone for 20 days I'd assume they'd gone bust too.

I think I've been patient but I'm on the verge of taking some advice from a newsgroup posting. "Consider the BR-DC an unsolicited delivery and have the CC charge reversed for the box set as an unauthorised payment."

I await your reply

Ian
Old 11-22-00, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

See...there is an invention called the telephone!!! Try and use it sometime....even with Buy.com, I have telephoned companies with problems such as this and have always had the problem dealt with in a timely manner. They responded with the problem they were having with your email address and all you can do is respond back with more complaints!!! Why don't you call them on the telephone instead of looking for them to respond back on this forum where they have no obligation to do so...????

------------------

Barney Fife
Old 11-22-00, 08:38 AM

djones - not having a go at you, but the Ian lives downunder, and I recall a problem I had with Reel.com before its demise and I got sick of the standard (no help) email responses, so I called them up from Australia. First call I was on hold for about 15 minutes, and the second call I got through after about 10 minutes (I know because the time was itemised on my phone bill). Granted the call does not exactly cost a fortune (the first call went for about 20 minutes, while I explained the problem etc, was put on hold again and it cost about $6 and the second call was about $5) but it sort of adds against your order if you see it like I do.

I do agree with your last point, though. DVDEmpire don't have an obligation to respond in this forum, and it's good to see that they do. I just hope that Ian has this issue sorted out.

Me, I'm still waiting for Express to ship my replacement Leon DVD after I posted the original faulty one back in SEPTEMBER!! (Insured International mail at my expense too) Plenty of emails back and forth, and nothing yet, so it looks like I'll have to make one of those International telephone calls if I don't get an email confirmation soon!
Old 11-23-00, 09:33 AM
Cool New Member

Just a brief update and response, I'm just finishing replying to a nice email from the empire CEO. I'll wrap this up tomorrow in full.

djones6746
The US is about 17 hours behind Australia which means 8:00am Thursday there is 1:00am Friday here (ie now, I'm tired!) and there's still getting some sleep and getting to work on time to go.

I posted here since the email to the returns department was unanswered.

Ian
Old 11-23-00, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Ian Reid:
Just a brief update and response, I'm just finishing replying to a nice email from the empire CEO. I'll wrap this up tomorrow in full.

djones6746
The US is about 17 hours behind Australia which means 8:00am Thursday there is 1:00am Friday here (ie now, I'm tired!) and there's still getting some sleep and getting to work on time to go.

I posted here since the email to the returns department was unanswered.

Ian
<HR>

Did not originally look to see where you were located....I can see why you tried the email route first!!! Glad to hear they are taking care of your order!!!

------------------

Barney Fife
Old 11-23-00, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by KeithT:
Me, I'm still waiting for Express to ship my replacement Leon DVD after I posted the original faulty one back in SEPTEMBER!! (Insured International mail at my expense too) Plenty of emails back and forth, and nothing yet, so it looks like I'll have to make one of those International telephone calls if I don't get an email confirmation soon!<HR>

Keith, you might want to mail Max Kovins - this is the mail I had from them and I have since received the remastered version (gave the other to a friend):

Dear EXPRESS.COM Customer,

Thank you for contacting us regarding your defective copy. I have arranged for your order to be reshipped as soon as we receive Leon: The Professional: International Version (Remastered). The confirmation number is: XXXXXXX.

You do not need to send back your defective copy.

We value you as a customer and thank you for choosing EXPRESS.COM! Please contact us if you have any additional questions or concerns.

Sincerely,

Max Kovins

Also FWIW I’m still waiting on an Empire order shipped 9/15 which included the Classic Monsters set. 9 weeks seems kinda long and I was told I’d have to wait 12 weeks before anything could be done. Hmmmmmmm.....

Old 11-23-00, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

DVD Empire crumbles!! mao.gif> Way to over react!

------------------
Now Playing
Old 11-25-00, 12:07 AM
Cool New Member

Time to wrap up this thread

DVDempire have FedExed the missing item to me and made a generous contribution to my ever-expanding DVD collection.

The CEO and founder of DVDempire, Jeff Rix has been frank and open with the causes for the convergence of errors and circumstances that occurred. I appreciate the efforts that he has gone to and believe that he will implement changes that will ensure that his company will thrive well into the future.

I now have every confidence that the problems that I suffered will be promptly resolved and not occur again.

In the short term people should be aware that customers email addresses cannot be viewed or changed on the site, I expect they will post a warning, and then change their system procedures.

I'm going to a start a new thread on DVDtalk.com with this message so that it reaches the audience of the original message, so don't fame me or you'll get spanked back.

Ian

Old 11-25-00, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Ian Reid:

I'm going to a start a new thread on DVDtalk.com with this message so that it reaches the audience of the original message, so don't fame me or you'll get spanked back.

Ian
[/B]<HR>

I promise I will not fame you....

------------------

Barney Fife