Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

HELP: speaker stands

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-01, 01:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is there any good deal for speaker stands?

i have 32" tv and a pair of paradigm mini monitor as front, a pair of paradigm atom as rear.
Old 01-16-01, 01:38 PM

If you are interested in metal adjustable type (black), partsexpress.com had some on sale for I think $36/pair or so. The local Tweeter owned store had identically loking ones for $70. They also had some good deals on speaker wire and video cable and connectors.
Old 01-16-01, 06:59 PM

thanks, will try.
Old 01-16-01, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

if space is an issue, a cool solution for your bookshelf speakers is....

bookshelves! imagine that.

i picked up a pair of solid oak bookshelves (about 36" high) at a yard sale this summer for $20. as long as you have the rubber feet on your minimonitors, they works like a charm and look great to boot on both sides of your tv. i think maybe target has some decent looking ones.

for the surrounds, a pair of those little wood tv trays (about 10/per at target/walmart) at each end of the couch with the speakers just behind the listening position and pointed in...

oh, and if you ever want to hide your sub, they have these cheap round fiberboard tables with 3 screw-in legs (like $10 with glass). you get a thin table cloth (usually in the same area) for it, put the glass top over the table cloth... sub fits right under.

or, if you don't mind the way speaker stands look, you could always just pick up some of those i suppose.

------------------
chess' DVDs chess' Web Site
chess' modest home theater:
TV: 61" Sony KP-61S75, DVD: Panasonic A-120U, Rec: Pioneer VSX-D509S, Front & Rear: Energy e:XL-16 (birch), Center: Energy e:XL-C, Sub: Sony SA-WM40, Total: $2696
Old 01-16-01, 09:38 PM

sounds cool. didn't even think of this idea before: i'm using bookshelf speakers!
Old 01-16-01, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you care about sound quality at all you will place your speakers on something very solid. If you do not want to spend $$$$$ on expensive speaker stands use cinder blocks and paint them black. Best bang for the buck IMHO.

Bookcases vibrate too much and alter the sound, you may like it who knows.

If you want a great set of stands, I own these

http://www.sanus.com/cgi-bin/web_sto...=1204430_21061

and can say they increased the quality of sound on my system YMMV.
Old 01-17-01, 09:25 AM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by 4KRG:
http://www.sanus.com/cgi-bin/web_store.cgi?page=Product/Ultimate_Specs.html&cart_id=1204430_21061
<HR>

too expensive for me. but I'll take ur advice for something that's solid. I'll first try some stands at around $60 and if they don't work out for me, i'll have fun playing with cinder blocks.
Old 01-17-01, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
quote:<HR>Originally posted by hu_ch:
too expensive for me. but I'll take ur advice for something that's solid. I'll first try some stands at around $60 and if they don't work out for me, i'll have fun playing with cinder blocks.
<HR>

Honestly, no joke, cinder blocks rule. Dress them up a little and use them. They probably make a better foundation than my $300 stands, they just don't look as pretty but they are afforable.

Old 01-17-01, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Actally, for decent front speakers ('bookshelf' or others). putting them on a bookshelf is NOT a good idea! Placing speakers with their back to a wall really hurts their soundstage projection (the sound becomes flatter and muddier, best I can describe it.) Having the speakers free-standing on stands away from a back wall vastly improves their 'presence.' Try your speakers both ways (use anything for the stand so the speakers are around ear-level and about 2' or more from a back wall), close your eyes, and hear for yourself!