Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Help w/conections

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-01, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 412 Likes on 357 Posts
In college I worked at a high end audio shop. I could change tubes in an amp, and set a turnable up w/any cartridge in nothing flat. But this A/V stuff is frustrating me. I just got a Sony strde-845, now I'm trying to hook everything up. Only 3 sources, digital cable (Scientific Atlanta box), Sony DVD player, JVC HF VCR. TV is by JVC 35BP3 (2-antenna in, two other audio/video ins, and an S video in)

I want to hook it up for ease of use for my wife (and me!)

Someone want to suggest how to hook up everything? Or

I have some specific questions,

-Am I right that on my sony receiver I have to use the same type of connections for input and output? In otherwords my VCR on has RCA's, so if I input that to the receiver must I hook up a RCA from the receiver to the TV? Or will the S video carry the signal?

-My cable box has a digital audio out. Can't seem to get it to work. If I can, could I hook that up to the DVD digital in on the receiver, and use optical for my DVD player? In other words can I use both inputs at the same time, even though both are marked DVD?

-Can I hook up the RF antenna from my cable box to my VCR, then to one antenna on my TV for recording and if my wife doesn't want to mess with the receiver just to watch normal TV? If I do this will signal on a played thru the VCR go thru the RF or RCA Video out? Or both, and I just pick Video 2 on the receiver and TV?

-I have read on this board where most folks suggest going direct from the DVD to the TV. It seems running it thru the receiver would make it easier as only on switch to make, on the receiver, rather then two (receiver and TV).

Thanks for the input and help with these basic questions...

Old 01-15-01, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quick hook-up:

Cable into cable box - cable box to vcr - vcr to tv. This will allow you to watch tv bypassing the receiver and to record tv programs.

Cable digital out to receiver. Allows you to watch cable and run audio through receiver.

DVD s-video and composite audio out directly to tv. This will allow you to watch a dvd movie bypassing the receiver. Do not run DVD through VCR macrovision will interfere with the picture.

DVD optical out to receiver. Allows you to watch DVD with receiver sound.

This is a simple setup. The only time you would need the receiver would be to do surround sound.

In most cases a receiver will not convert a s-video signal to composite and vise-versa. Your tv has enough connections.

If you are having trouble with the digital out on the cable box there may be a bit in a setup menu you are missing either on the cable box or the reciever. Don't know too much about digital cable boxes though.

Hope this helps.

------------------
I am the one who calls himself I AM!

[This message has been edited by palebluedot (edited January 15, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by palebluedot (edited January 15, 2001).]
Old 01-15-01, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not really familiar with that Sony receiver or the Digital Cable Box but here goes my attempt from my DSS and HT setup. Maybe someone else can correct my errors.

DVD player - S-Video to DVD slot on the Sony receiver. Digital Optical/Coax to digital input on the Sony receiver. Don't forget to select the DVD player as a digital source on your receiver.

VCR - S-Video or Single RCA (Yellow) to VCR slot on the Sony receiver and also to Cable Box to record programs. RCA (Red & White) to VCR slot on Sony Receiver and also to Cable Box.

CD Player - Only need Digital Coax/Optical to Sony Receiver if available or RCA (Red & White).

Cable Box - Digital Coax/Optical out to Sony Receiver. (Also select Cable as a Digital Source on your Sony Receiver) Cable in from street. S-Video out to TV. RCA (Yellow/Red/White) out to Sony Receiver. RCA (Yellow/Red/White) in from VCR.

The only thing you need going to your TV is your S-Video from your cable box. If you have a new TV & DVD Player that accepts Colorstream inputs (Y/Cb/Cr) then you could run that cable straight from the DVD player to the TV.

Hope this helps. Good Luck.
Old 01-16-01, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 412 Likes on 357 Posts
palebluedot, tried your suggestion, with the minor changes:

RF from cable to VCR to TV, as you suggest, Perfect

Cable digital audio out. Never could get this to work. Messed with setting on setup, no luck Calling cable co tomorrow. Composite audio on cable box to receiver for now. Of course that means no suround

S video and compsite audio from DVD to TV as you suggest, Perfect

Since I did not use the coaxial from cable, used it on the DVD, since most folks seem to be recommending the coax over optical. Will switch this around, if I ever get the digital audio on the cable to work.

I love the set up, and seems to all work well. Only thing I'm not taking advantage of is the S video out on the cable box or the digital out on the cable box. Hopefully will get some answers from Cox tomorrow. Will leave it alone for a while and see how it works out. Thanks for the help.