Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Help! New to DTS Q...Music CD.,...

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Help! New to DTS Q...Music CD.,...

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-01, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I finally got a DTS Reciever, and haven't noticed that the DTS is better. I went out and bought a few DVDs, and one music CD, Brian Wilson-Imagination.

On the cd, all night, on track one, there would be pops and crackles...

I tried 4 different new speakers, and 6 pieces of speaker wire, 3 from different roles(And gauges).

How can I determine if I have a bad DTS receiver,(I have a JVC 100 watt unit), or a bad disc, or maybe a setup problem?

I don't get the spatialazation issues.

I adjusted the left and right surrounds, and thus far , since lowered, the track does not 'pop'.

Is this normal?
Old 01-15-01, 02:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The right channel still 'crackels'...but only on the audio CD..Twister,Gladiator, etc all sound great.

?????

Nobody else has heard of this?
Old 01-15-01, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

DTS is only for DVD's not CD's. If your buying DVD's do they have a DTS logo on them?? or just Dolby digital 5.1?? Did you configure your audio options in the DVD player for DTS output? Is your reciever set up for DTS input? Are you using either an optical cable or a coax cable from your DVD player to the reciever?(Do not use the RED and white cable!!)

If you did all the above correctly then its probable your player.

Mike
Old 01-15-01, 11:02 AM

I got a JVC RX-8000VBK receiver around Christmas. Mine is in the shop because right out of the box an evening later I noticed a crackle in the surround and center channel speakers. Other JVC owners have had trouble with crackling in their speakers also, so you might want to get your receiver looked at. The crackling seems to be a common problem with JVC receivers. I was playing the DTS track of 'Titan AE' when I first noticed the crackle. Then I noticed it on Dolby Digital sources also.

------------------
My DVD List
Old 01-15-01, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by ANDREMIKE:
DTS is only for DVD's not CD's
<HR>

Obviously you don't know what DTS is.

DTS is a more indepth audio remastering system.

The sound produced from DTS remastering is far supperior to DD 5.1 because each channel is mastered at the highest bitrate possible while maintaing the best sound. This can apply to both DVD Movies as well as Music CDs. You wouldn't believe how many Music Albums have DTS counterparts. If you are a true fan and want the best possible reproduction of your favorite album DTS versions are the best.

Check out the following link for current titles:

http://store.dtsonline.com/cd-frames.html

Notice that these are all CD/DTS Titles and NOT DVD.

They are expensive (around $25) but worth it.
Old 01-15-01, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
For dts CDs, the dts bitstream is outputted via the digital output on the CD or DVD player, and your receiver's digital audio input design should be able to discern the dts bitstream and produce the 5.1 soundtrack from the bitstream.

------------------
PatCave ;HT Pix ;Pat's DVDs
Old 01-15-01, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by BadAsh:

The sound produced from DTS remastering is far supperior to DD 5.1 because each channel is mastered at the highest bitrate possible while maintaing the best sound. This can apply to both DVD Movies as well as Music CDs.
Notice that these are all CD/DTS Titles and NOT DVD.

They are expensive (around $25) but worth it.
<HR>

I never said DD5.1 is better then DTS!!!

Thanks for correcting me about DTS being available in music CD's

Mike
Old 01-16-01, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, thanks for the comments. Ironically, being able to get music CD's in DTS, mainly Imagination, was why I went with a DTS reciever.

Since the crackling is a common issue, and the reviews at other sites haven't been that great, I am taking that unit back for a Kenwood or other model.

The surrounds on films are tinny and don't sound as active as my old RCA 5.1 from Radio Shack, and the center is weak. To top it off, I have to push the volume to 40 to be able to hear comfortably..in a 10 by 12 room.

Weak.