Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Q on sound

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-01, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have two questions:

1. Why is it that receiver display sound as -dB? I assume this is a given level minus that many decibels?

2. Is that given level "reference level"? If not, what is reference level and what is the definition of reference level.

Thanks homeys.
Old 01-11-01, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Bump for anyone.
Old 01-11-01, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
quote:<HR>Originally posted by SirPablo:
I have two questions:

1. Why is it that receiver display sound as -dB? I assume this is a given level minus that many decibels?
<HR>

Right you are.

quote:<HR>Originally posted by SirPablo:

2. Is that given level "reference level"? If not, what is reference level and what is the definition of reference level.
<HR>

This given level is generally referred to as Unity Gain. It's the point where your pre-amp (or the pre-amp section of your receiver) is putting out the same voltage as it is taking in.

Edited to add:
I believe that Reference Level refers to the SPL that the person who made the movie (or the disc, or the standard such as THX) had in mind. The biggest disctinction between Reference Level and Unity Gain is that RL is dependent on things such as your speakers, room size and layout, amplifier, and pretty much every variable in the signal path from the source to your ears. UG is independent of everything except the input and output level (measured in voltage) of 1 small part of a system.

Hope that helped.

[This message has been edited by stevevt (edited January 11, 2001).]
Old 01-12-01, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Kinda helped, but kind of confused me more.

I'm ok with question #1, but I am not sure now about reference level still. If it is dependent on your system, how do you find out what your reference level would be?
Old 01-12-01, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Reference level is 75 db, but 'how high you have to turn up the volume knob' will vary from receiver to receiver. (You can ignore the db readout on your receiver, as it will not refer to reference level.)
You would need to purchase a sound pressure level meter and adjust the volume on the receiver until the meter registered a level of approximately 75 db. Many test/setup discs have specific instructions if you're interested. As stevevt stated, various unknown variables (the size and acoustics of your room, your equipment, etc.) make it impossible to know what your settings will need to be at reference level.
Once you are at reference level, you are hearing the film the way it was intended to be heard. (Of course, your personal choice may eventually dictate the volume level.)
Old 01-12-01, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ok Thanks DigIT, that's makes more sense to me know. I for some reason have not calibrated my surround sound, yet I have calibrated my Wega (what a difference that makes!). I will do this ASAP, thanks!