Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

extremely newbie speaker hookup question

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

extremely newbie speaker hookup question

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-01, 04:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi everyone. I just got the beginnings of my home theatre. A pair of Klipsch Quintets, a Kenwood VR407 receiver, a Kenwood CD-324M 200-cd changer, and a Panasonic RV30 DVD player. Now, what wires do I need to hook everything up? I'm not familiar w/all the diff names of the wires and what each of them do. I can't even figure out how to hook up the speakers! (Nothing I have fits) All I managed to do so far is to hook up the cd player w/the cables included and i'm listening to them using headphones. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
-Mike
Old 01-08-01, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I will just mention the basic connections and you can see if they apply..

DVD to reciever You will need to 1 of 3 hookups
1. COAX (this connector is orange on the DVD player.) send this to reciever.
2. If you don't have coax then use an optical cable form the DVD player to the reciever.
Typically the above cables are extra.
3. (Don't reccommend because you will not get DD5.1 or DTS) Is the Red and White

Speakers should be obvious (center left, right, right rear,left rear.

If your reciever has a rca sub out then connect one cable to your sub.

Do you have the video hooked up yet? What kind of TV?
Old 01-08-01, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

i'm not intimately familiar with any of your gear, but it's all pretty standard.

speakers: the klipschs probably have binding posts. kind of like a nut with a hole in it. go to home depot or radioshack and find some 14 gauge (or 12 if you want to overkill a bit) speaker wire (about 50 cents/foot). cut off the sheathing and twist at each end. thread the bare wire through the binding posts on the speakers and on the receiver. be sure to match red-red/black-black. should be fairly obvious/clearly labled what goes where. if not, post, and i'll try to be more clear.

CD: i assume this player has a digital optical (TOSLINK) output. if so, pick up a digital cable ($15-40) and hook it to the receiver that way (should be clearly labled on both). if it doesn't have a TOSLINK or you don't want to spend the $$$ on one, a pair of composite cables (red/white RCA cable) will give you a decent analog signal. plug it into the red/white jacks labled "CD" on the back of your receiver.

you should be in business.

------------------
chess' DVDs chess' Web Site
chess' modest home theater:
61" Sony RPTV KP-61S75, Panasonic A-120U, Pioneer VSX-D509S, Energy e:XL-16 front and surround (birch), Energy e:XL-C, Sony SA-WM40
Old 01-08-01, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

quote:<HR>Originally posted by ANDREMIKE:
DVD to reciever You will need to 1 of 3 hookups
1. COAX (this connector is orange on the DVD player.) send this to reciever.
2. If you don't have coax then use an optical cable form the DVD player to the reciever.
Typically the above cables are extra.
3. (Don't reccommend because you will not get DD5.1 or DTS) Is the Red and White
<HR>

wanted to respond to this seperately.

until you get more speakers and more knowlege of how to work your receiver, i would go with #3.

otherwise, right on.

------------------
chess' DVDs chess' Web Site
chess' modest home theater:
61" Sony RPTV KP-61S75, Panasonic A-120U, Pioneer VSX-D509S, Energy e:XL-16 front and surround (birch), Energy e:XL-C, Sony SA-WM40
Old 01-08-01, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I didn't notice he only had 2 speakers. Just keep in mind that if you do use option 3(red and white) to go buy option 1 when you get mmore speakers.

I would go to Best buy and spend like