Reload this Page >

Rumor: Microsoft buying Obsidian

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 10-09-18, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

From Kotaku, but Jason Schreier is a good reporter.

https://kotaku.com/sources-microsoft...ian-1829614135

Microsoft is finalizing a deal to acquire the independent development studio Obsidian Entertainment, according to three people briefed on the negotiations. We don’t know if ink is on paper yet, and plenty of major acquisition deals have fallen apart in the final hours, but those close to the companies believe it is all but done.

One person with knowledge of the deal told Kotaku they’d heard it was “90%” finished. Said a second person: “It’s a matter of when, not if.”
Obsidian, best known for its work on critically acclaimed role-playing games like Knights of the Old Republic II (2004) and Fallout: New Vegas (2010), has been independent since it was founded in 2003. The Irvine, California-based studio has long been beloved by RPG fans, but has often faced financial strains, nearly going out of business in 2012 before it signed a deal for an online tank game and launched a Kickstarter for the isometric throwback that would become Pillars of Eternity.

One compelling argument for the sale is that being owned by a company with deep pockets will offer Obsidian stability and resources the likes of which it has never had before.
I really like Obsidian's work and creativity, they just always seem to be buggy and unpolished. I'd hope Microsoft's pockets can help that aspect, especially if they let Obsidian have the creativity and puts a strong RPG developer internally.
Old 10-09-18, 02:48 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts
Re: Rumor: Microsoft buying Obsidian

Interesting.
I thought Fallout: New Vegas was excellent (the main quest was short as hell, but there was SO much to do in the side quests). If this is really happening, it'll be interesting to see what they develop.
Old 10-09-18, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

Sounds like a great acquisition for MS if it happens.
Old 10-09-18, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Unless they are getting major game franchises seems like a waste. MS would probably be better off buying out all the best talent and starting new studios. Would probably be cheaper.
Old 10-09-18, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

At least it's not EA.
Old 10-09-18, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Drexl
At least it's not EA.
I'd be fine if they bought EA. Might actually improve them.
Old 10-10-18, 12:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's nothing worse than EA, I'm afraid. Just remember what they did to Bioware.
About MS + Obsidian, it might be a good start. Hope they won't quit isometric rpg's in the result.
Old 10-10-18, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
Unless they are getting major game franchises seems like a waste. MS would probably be better off buying out all the best talent and starting new studios. Would probably be cheaper.
Obsidian has a decent sized cult following, that along with some famous names in the industry and taking their existing employees, company culture, and expertise can be worth something over trying to build from scratch. Besides, they're already starting a separate studio from scratch in The Initiative.
Old 10-10-18, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Obsidian has a decent sized cult following, that along with some famous names in the industry and taking their existing employees, company culture, and expertise can be worth something over trying to build from scratch. Besides, they're already starting a separate studio from scratch in The Initiative.
They haven't made a big, good game in nearly a decade. I don't see the value other than MS gloating about adding another has been studio.

If MS really wanted to impress, they would find a way to make some kind of licensing deal with Konami, because they are sitting on a gold mine of franchises they don't seem to be using outside of gambling machines.
Old 10-10-18, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
They haven't made a big, good game in nearly a decade. I don't see the value other than MS gloating about adding another has been studio.
Hey now, South Park was decently successful!

We just disagree then, as I think the things I mentioned previously are worth something. I also think recently they've purposely shifted to develop the games they wanted to manage and own creatively, hence going the crowd sourcing route rather then contracted to take over an existing franchise like they did with previous games. The strong response of backers from their crowd sourced projects shows that they have a good following even though isometric RPG's like Pillars of Eternity aren't exactly big business and their games have also reviewed really well, even if they're not huge sellers.

I don't know how well they fit with Microsoft, but I guess we'll see if this ends up going through.
Old 11-10-18, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

It's official now. Announced at X018.

Edit: they also acquired InXile. Maybe they'll reform Black Isle Studios.
Old 11-11-18, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Looking forward to Microsoft beefing up their RPG output.