Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Lilo & Stitch Live Action - News, Cast, Rumors, Etc

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 10-03-18, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 722 Likes on 527 Posts

OCTOBER 03, 2018 10:46am PT by Borys Kit
'Lilo & Stitch' Live-Action Remake in the Works at Disney (Exclusive)

Dan Lin and Jonathan Eirich, who are already working on the live-action remake of 'Aladdin,' are producing what will be a live-action/CG hybrid.

Stitch is back.

Lilo & Stitch, the 2002 animated movie from Walt Disney Feature Animation, is getting the live-action treatment, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

The studio has hired up-and-comer Mike Van Waes to pen the script for the remake that will be produced by Dan Lin and Jonathan Eirich of Rideback. The two are already known in the Disney halls as they working on the high-profile live-action remake of Aladdin.

Stitch was written and directed by Dean DeBlois and Chris Sanders, who later found acclaim with How to Train Your Dragon.

The Hawaii-centric story told of the bond formed between a lonely human girl named Lilo and a dog-like alien named Stitch, who is engineered to be a force of destruction. Pursuing aliens, social workers, and the idea of the bond of family figure into the proceedings.

While not a massive success by modern box office standards, the well-regarded movie was a bright spot in a down period of Disney’s animation history and launched several direct-to-video sequels as well as several television series.

It is unclear whether the feature project, which is intended to be a live-action/CG hybrid, is intended for theatrical release or for Disney's streaming service that launches in 2019.

Rideback’s Ryan Halprin is co-producing.

The feature project is the latest in Disney’s successful strategy of mining their past animated classics and re-purposing them as live-action tentpoles events. Cinderella, The Jungle Book, Beauty and the Beast, Pete’s Dragon are some of the recent releases with Dumbo, The Lion King and Aladdin among those heading moviegoers’ way in the future.

Van Waes is better known in Hollywood circles as a writer of horror fare. He wrote The Crooked Man, based on a character from New Line’s The Conjuring 2 and that is being developed as a Conjuring Universe spinoff. He also wrote Not in Kansas, a Wizard of Oz-themed horror project also set up at New Line. He is repped by CAA and Grandview.
Old 10-03-18, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: Lilo & Stitch Live Action - News, Cast, Rumors, Etc

This is my favorite Disney movie ever, so I'm down for this.
Old 10-03-18, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Fingers crossed that they cast locals.
Old 10-03-18, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

I wouldn't mind a live-action Black Cauldron, Sword in the Stone, or Treasure Planet. =P
Old 10-03-18, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Not surprised.
Old 10-03-18, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 414 Likes on 299 Posts

It doesn’t surprise me, but it’s unnecessary. I’d like to see them try and do a live action version of Atlantis The Lost Empire.
Old 10-03-18, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,924 Likes on 1,489 Posts

Nonononono. I mean, I love Lilo and Stitch, but I just can't see this coming out and not seeming like some kind of horror movie. Add to that you have to get a kid actor to carry most of the movie.
Old 10-03-18, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 507 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
Fingers crossed that they cast locals.
That Auli girl who voiced Moana could play Nani. I could see that working pretty well, she has acting experience and by the time they get out of pre-prod she'll be 18.
Old 10-03-18, 08:50 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 899 Likes on 760 Posts

this would be weird, given Stitch, but who knows...
Old 10-03-18, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 288 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Koby
I wouldn't mind a live-action Black Cauldron, Sword in the Stone, or Treasure Planet. =P
I hate the idea of a live action version of "Lilo & Stich". Because I think the animated film is terrific as is. But I LOVE your ideas above. Yes, yes and yes! Especially "The Black Cauldron". Such an underrated gem.
Old 10-03-18, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 954 Likes on 662 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Nonononono. I mean, I love Lilo and Stitch, but I just can't see this coming out and not seeming like some kind of horror movie. Add to that you have to get a kid actor to carry most of the movie.
Yep, totally agree.

Originally Posted by OldBoy
this would be weird, given Stitch, but who knows...
Yep, for sure.

Originally Posted by AGuyNamedMike
That Auli girl who voiced Moana could play Nani. I could see that working pretty well, she has acting experience and by the time they get out of pre-prod she'll be 18.
Ooooo.....maybe it could work. She would be great in that role.
Old 10-03-18, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,242 Likes on 853 Posts

I’m with fumanstan — this is my favorite Disney flick. This intrigues me, but does not excite me though. Wholly unnecessary, too recent, take your pick.

I thought /Film said a live action Sword in the Stone is in the works, but it may not be theatrical.

I like the idea of mining the properties that need a second chance.
Old 11-13-20, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Jon M. Chu in Talks to Direct Live-Action 'Lilo & Stitch' Movie (Exclusive)
NOVEMBER 13, 2020 12:19PM by Borys Kit

'Stitch' was initially being developed as a possible feature for Disney+.

Jon M. Chu is gearing up for a Hawaiian roller coaster ride.

The director behind Crazy Rich Asians is in negotiations to helm Disney’s live-action remake of Lilo & Stitch, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

Dan Lin and Jonathan Eirich of Rideback, the banner behind the billion dollar-grossing live-action remake of Aladdin, are producing. Rideback’s Ryan Halprin is executive producing.

A search for a scribe to work with Chu is now underway. Mike Van Waes wrote the current draft for the project, which has not been greenlit and is still in development.

The original film was written and directed by Dean DeBlois and Chris Sanders, who later found acclaim with How to Train Your Dragon.

The Hawaii-centric story told of the bond formed between a lonely human girl named Lilo and a dog-like alien named Stitch, who is engineered to be a force of destruction. Pursuing aliens, social workers and the idea of the bond of a family all figure into the proceedings.

While not a massive success by modern box-office standards, the well-regarded movie was a bright spot in a down period of Disney's animation history and launched several direct-to-video sequels as well as several television series. The characters have also become one of the most sought-after Disney personalities in terms of merchandising.

It is unclear whether Stitch will be released theatrically or on Disney+.

Chu is finding a home at Disney as he recently boarded the Willow series, made by the studio’s Lucasfilm arm, as director and exec producer. The filmmaker, whose Asians grossed over $238 million in 2018, also exec produced and directed episodes of Apple series Home Before Dark.

In the can Chu has In the Heights, the adaptation of the Lin-Manuel Miranda musical that Warner Bros. will release in 2021.

He is repped by UTA, Artists First and Stone Genow.
Just because he's Asian? Though I don't know any Hawaii-born directors.
Old 11-13-20, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

With lower expectations I think a Disney + version could work. I'm still not sold on a big budget version, though.

Like I said before, the big thing is going to be casting a kid young/cute enough for the role but who can carry a movie. If you age Lilo up, you have to change her role significantly and it loses a lot of the charm of the original.
Old 11-13-20, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

With lower expectations I think a Disney + version could work. I'm still not sold on a big budget version, though.

Like I said before, the big thing is going to be casting a kid young/cute enough for the role but who can carry a movie. If you age Lilo up, you have to change her role significantly and it loses a lot of the charm of the original.
My niece looks like her, is a local and is the right age (9)?
Old 11-13-20, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by devilshalo
My niece looks like her, is a local and is the right age (9)?
I dunno... can she act like a little brat and bite a white kid convincingly?
Old 11-13-20, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I dunno... can she act like a little brat and bite a white kid convincingly?
She's a middle child... doesn't that come with the territory?
Old 11-14-20, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

The problem with all these live action movies is they're completely unnecessary and add nothing to what came before.

Originally Posted by Koby
Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
It doesn’t surprise me, but it’s unnecessary. I’d like to see them try and do a live action version of Atlantis The Lost Empire.
These seem like much more intriguing movies to tackle if only because they are the underappreciated gems of the Disney catalog. The entire populace isn't married to them like a Lady & the Tramp or Lion King so liberties can be taken without people flipping a lid. They can expand roles, plots or just improving on what came before without too many people making a fuss.
Old 07-14-22, 03:59 PM

Received 4,554 Likes on 3,089 Posts

Dean Fleischer Camp, the filmmaker behind indie darling Marcel the Shell with Shoes On, is going Disney.

The filmmaker will direct a live-action take on Lilo & Stitch, the 2002 animated movie from Walt Disney Feature Animation. Chris Kekaniokalani Bright is in final negotiations to pen the script.

The move gets the project, which will be a tentpole feature project for Disney+, back into the water. Stitch was first throwin into development back in 2018 with up-and-comer Mike Van Waes penning the script. Dan Lin and Jonathan Eirich of Rideback are producing.

Rideback’s Ryan Halprin is executive producing.

The Hawaii-centric story told of the bond formed between a lonely human girl named Lilo and a dog-like alien named Stitch, who is engineered to be a force of destruction. Pursuing aliens, social workers and the idea of the bond of a family figure into the proceedings.

While not a massive success by modern box office standards, the well-regarded movie was a bright spot in a down period of Disney’s animation history and launched several direct-to-video sequels as well as several television series.

Lilo is intended to be a live-action/CG hybrid, a form that Fleischer Camp has proven to have a mastery over. Marcel is a heartwarming tale centered on a snail on the adventure into the human world. The movie is one of the most acclaimed movies the year — it has a 99 per cent score on Rotten Tomatoes — and A24 is using a platform release to build word of mouth. It has one of the highest per-screen average takes and on only 48 screens has made almost $1 million domestically.

Bright is a Hawaii-born and based scribe whose script Conviction made the Black List.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/mo...mp-1235180639/
Old 07-14-22, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

This is going to be hard, not because the source material isn't enjoyable, but because it's going to rely on the acting chops of a really young little Hawaiian girl, so casting is going to be key.
Old 07-14-22, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I can see them using Peyton Lee (from Doogie Kamealoha) for Nani instead of Auli'i, but yea casting Lilo is gonna be key.
Old 02-17-23, 04:24 PM

Received 4,554 Likes on 3,089 Posts

Zach Galifianakis has closed a deal to star in Lilo & Stitch, Disney’s live-action remake of its cult 2002 animated movie.

Dean Fleischer Camp, the filmmaker behind indie darling and best animated Oscar nominee Marcel the Shell With Shoes On, is directing the feature that is intended to be a major release on Disney+.

The Hawaii-centric story told of the bond formed between a lonely human girl named Lilo and a dog-like alien named Stitch, who was genetically engineered to be a force of destruction. With nosy social workers and pursuing aliens banging on the door, the two bonded over a shared sense of family and win the day.

Details of Galifianakis’ role are being kept in the dog pound.

The studio is conducting a wide search for the actors to play Lilo and her older sister. Stitch, naturally, will be a CG confection.

Chris Kekaniokalani Bright wrote the script for the adaptation. Chris Sanders and Dean DeBlois wrote and directed the original feature that, while not an initial hit, developed a loyal fanbase that only grew in the ensuing years.

Dan Lin and Jonathan Eirich of Rideback are producing. Rideback’s Ryan Halprin is executive producing.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/mo...is-1235328908/
Old 03-31-23, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,159 Likes on 4,192 Posts

We have our Lilo.
Old 03-31-23, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 619 Likes on 478 Posts

I'll reserve judgement until we have a trailer, but I'm sure it'll suck. Any word on a 4K UHD BD of the original?
Old 04-01-23, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 414 Likes on 299 Posts

A 4k version of the movie would be nice but only if its of the original theatrical cut and not the changed Disney plus version of the movie.
The following users liked this post:
tanman (04-02-23)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.