Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

---> New Oscars Category : Popular Film

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-18, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well this really seems to cheapen the Oscars ceremony even more than then it already has become. The Academy is adding a new "Outstanding Achievement in Popular Film" award. Also, some select awards will be handed out during commercial breaks and shown in an edited manner later in the broadcast.

here's the story:

https://variety.com/2018/film/news/a...ry-1202899382/

Last edited by Doctor Gonzo; 08-08-18 at 12:36 PM.
Old 08-08-18, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 422 Likes on 305 Posts
Re: ---> New Oscars Category : Popular Film

I would rather movie studios make good movies that are popular with audiences and critics. I miss the days when movies like Titanic, Saving Private Ryan, Forrest Gump, and Braveheart won Oscars. Most of the arthouse stuff that gets nominated for Best Picture now i more than likely will never see them. Also this a move to try and get viewers back for the show.

Last edited by Bluelitespecial; 08-08-18 at 02:46 PM.
Old 08-08-18, 12:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought the reason the Best Picture category was expanded up to 10 nominees was to include more popular pictures?

This is making the Oscars look more like the People's Choice Awards.
Old 08-08-18, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its to get viewers to watch. Quite frankly the oscars were already cheap so dont know how this will make it any different.
Old 08-08-18, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by redcon1
I thought the reason the Best Picture category was expanded up to 10 nominees was to include more popular pictures?

This is making the Oscars look more like the People's Choice Awards.
Yes, expanding to 10 was supposed to help but instead the Oscars was once again a show I had no interest in watching due to most/all the big award nominees being for films I did not watch.

Last year the expansion to 10 could have put Wonder Woman or Logan in the mix for the real big prizes but nope, that clearly did not happen.

Let the Oscars become a more high brow version of the People's Choice Awards, because if the inclusion of Black Panther, MI: Fallout, Avengers Infinity War, and other popular and critically praised films are in the mix for the more prestigious awards then after several years of not watching I might tune in.

The Academy will be happy to tune out the critics who say they have dumbed down the awards show if the show's ratings show a pulse in 2019 due to the changes (popular film category, serious effort to keep the show no longer than 3 hours vs the 4 hour slog it has become).

I do not watch but I am aware that the show runs well past the time when many folks in the CST/EST zones have gone to sleep which helps keep the ratings low.
Old 08-08-18, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,198 Likes on 4,225 Posts

Oh that really sucks. I really, really hate that change.
Old 08-08-18, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

meh. i am for it. gives a chance for movies that people actually watched to get a freaking award.

Yes we can blame studios for this shit but still doesnt matter. Oscars needed a change to begin with. Its basically a show of people sucking each other off.
Old 08-08-18, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

So, they created a category just to make sure Black Panther gets an award?
Old 08-08-18, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by islandclaws
curious as to why Black panther keeps getting brought up? if anything, Avengers should get it
Old 08-08-18, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by islandclaws
This.

Meanwhile, they of course completely ignored the real reason that ratings for the ceremony continue to drop year after year.
Old 08-08-18, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts

They also plan on giving out certain awards during commercial breaks and airing the edited portions during the broadcast. I’m sure that will be as popular as the “stand in the aisle and give your speech” system they had like 12 years back.
Old 08-08-18, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mr. Flix
This.

Meanwhile, they of course completely ignored the real reason that ratings for the ceremony continue to drop year after year.
whats the reason?
Old 08-08-18, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I like the addition since I don't end up seeing half of the movies that are nominated for best picture, if not more depending on the year. Nothing wrong with acknowledging and rewarding box office and pop cultural hits, which are significant in their own right to the movie industry in my opinion.

I don't really see how it cheapens anything or affects the typical slate of movies that are honored, so I don't think it really affects those that have a greater interest in those other then an extra 10 minutes of time.
Old 08-08-18, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

So what are they going to call the regular Best Picture Oscar, "Outstanding Achievement in Unpopular Film"?
Old 08-08-18, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
So what are they going to call the regular Best Picture Oscar, "Outstanding Achievement in Unpopular Film"?
I assume all feature pictures are eligible for the "big prize". So many questions left unanswered though, most specifically "What constitutes a 'Popular Film'?". Would Get Out be competing last year? Would A Quiet Place be in the running this year? Can The Incredibles 2 compete in both the Animated Feature and Popular Film categories? Would very popular Oscar bait movies like La La Land, Django Unchained and The Revenant have been considered eligible for this award? How about well received genre films that didn't do great at the Box Office like Hereditary?
Old 08-08-18, 03:12 PM

And while I will not shed a tear if the Short Subject and Sound awards happen during commercial breaks, the only thing that will really cut the run-time is if they finally cut out the montages and useless tributes to "The Movies".
Old 08-08-18, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 948 Likes on 722 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
I would rather movie studios make good movies that are popular with audiences and critics. I miss the days when movies like Titanic, Saving Private Ryan, Forrest Gump, and Braveheart won Oscars. Most of the arthouse stuff that gets nominated for Best Picture now i more than likely will never see them. Also this a move to try and get viewers back for the show.
I miss the days when audiences watched good movies. Take a look at when the honored 70s films like The Godfather, Chinatown, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, The Sting, etc all filled theaters. If contemporary equivalents of those movies were made today, they'd all be at the Landmarks and Alamos of the country playing to half-empty theaters while everyone lines up at AMC to get into one of the 3-4 screens all showing the same superhero movie.
Old 08-08-18, 03:15 PM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Dumb.
Old 08-08-18, 03:31 PM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Old 08-08-18, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

booourns.

Oscar nominated movie, Rampage.
Old 08-08-18, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts

I think this is the Academy accepting that they're not always in touch with the audience. The latest 3 hour black and white flick of 2 people talking in a room about their feelings may be high art, but it's not popular art - and without popular art the movie industry would shrivel up.

I haven't paid much attention to the Oscars for years, mainly for that reason, I might be interested to see what kind of fan-friendly flicks get the nod.
Old 08-08-18, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
I assume all feature pictures are eligible for the "big prize". So many questions left unanswered though, most specifically "What constitutes a 'Popular Film'?". Would Get Out be competing last year? Would A Quiet Place be in the running this year? Can The Incredibles 2 compete in both the Animated Feature and Popular Film categories? Would very popular Oscar bait movies like La La Land, Django Unchained and The Revenant have been considered eligible for this award? How about well received genre films that didn't do great at the Box Office like Hereditary?
My guess would be they'd choose from the top box office titles (and, yeah, I know that doesn't mean they're the most profitable).
Old 08-08-18, 03:50 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by raven56706
curious as to why Black panther keeps getting brought up? if anything, Avengers should get it
Personally, I think Black Panther was a much better film. And didn’t BP make more money and get better reviews?
Old 08-08-18, 03:55 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

This is a terrible idea. Just jettison the categories that most people don't care about to be award off the air and ratings will go up just from that.
Old 08-08-18, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 551 Likes on 343 Posts

It would be funny if they gave out the Best Picture and the Popular awards back to back.

"Here are the awards for the film that made $1.5 billion at the box office and the one that only the critics went to see."

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.