Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Deleted Scenes Featuring Famous People That Don't Appear in the Actual Movie

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 07-29-18, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

Wrack your brain trying to think of movies featuring deleted scenes that have famous people that don't appear in the actual movie.

I'll go first:

Koo Stark in Star Wars (1977)
Jamie Lee Curtis in Buckaroo Banzai
Ashley Judd and Denis Leary in Natural Born Killers
Armin Shimmerman in Star Trek: Insurrection
Sarah Silverman in Bad Santa
Michael Shannon in W.

Have fun! (I'm looking forward to what you come up with!)
Old 07-29-18, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
Re: Deleted Scenes Featuring Famous People That Don't Appear in the Actual Movie

Ed Norton had a scene as a Woody Allen-esque character in The Simpson’s movie. I think it was decided it was distracting and they had a regular cast member re-record his lines.
Old 07-29-18, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,191 Likes on 2,059 Posts
Re: Deleted Scenes Featuring Famous People That Don't Appear in the Actual Movie

Weren’t there a number of famous actors deleted from The Thin Red Line? I’m not sure if they still all appeared in the film or not.
Old 07-29-18, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,878 Likes on 1,236 Posts

Do the deleted scenes have to be out there on DVD or Blu-ray to qualify for this thread? I know this has happened a bunch, but if the excised footage has to have actually made it out in the wild, I think that might make it tougher.

Jena Malone wasn't in the theatrical cut of Batman vs. Superman, but she is in the extended version.
Old 07-29-18, 01:26 PM
Premium Member

Received 690 Likes on 462 Posts

Harrison Ford in E.T.

Old 07-29-18, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

Pretty sure Trump was deleted from movies, according to Matt Damon (he would insist on a cameo if he owned a property that was being used for filming).
Old 07-29-18, 04:26 PM

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

Jennifer Lawrence in Dumb & Dumber To - Rumor is she had a cameo as young Fraida Felcher, but there was supposedly an opt-out clause that allowed Lawrence to have it axed before release.
Shailene Woodley in The Amazing Spider-Man 2 - All her scenes as Mary Jane Watson were cut.
Tobey Maguire in Life of Pi - The role was reshot with Rafe Spall.
Chris Cooper in The Ring - The original ending had him playing a serial rapist or murderer who Naomi Watts passes a copy of the cursed tape to.

Last edited by joe_b; 07-30-18 at 12:01 AM.
Old 07-29-18, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
Do the deleted scenes have to be out there on DVD or Blu-ray to qualify for this thread? I know this has happened a bunch, but if the excised footage has to have actually made it out in the wild, I think that might make it tougher.

Jena Malone wasn't in the theatrical cut of Batman vs. Superman, but she is in the extended version.
No. If it's something that's legitimately provable then it's fine for this thread. For example, Armin Shimmerman (as Quark from DS9) appeared in a cut scene from Star Trek: Insurrection. It never was put on home video, but I've scene pics of it over the years. It was also widely confirmed from the people who made the movie.

Old 07-29-18, 04:31 PM

Sam Kinison was in a lost scene in Three Amigos!
Illeana Douglas appeared in Chasing Amy
Old 07-29-18, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Weren’t there a number of famous actors deleted from The Thin Red Line? I’m not sure if they still all appeared in the film or not.
Mickey Rourke
Bill Pullman
Lukas Haas
Billy Bob Thorton

Adrien Brody was the lead until Malick changed his mind about the film and cut Brody down to a line or two.

Martin Sheen, Gary Oldman and a few others were cast but never filmed anything.
Old 07-29-18, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Famous one, Kevin Costner in The Big Chill
Old 07-29-18, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

Two possible recent ones:
Anna Paquin in X-Men: Days of Future Past. The Rogue Cut kinda fixed that though. I think there was one shot of her in the theatrical cut. So maybe a fringe answer to the topic.

Jessie Eisenberg as Lex Luthor was rumored to have a larger role in Justice League but was cut when Whedon came on board. JE has denied it in interviews though, saying it was always just a post credit scene. Guess we have to take him at his word unless a Snyder-cut (or deleted scenes) ever surfaces.

Originally Posted by joe_b
Tobey Maguire in Life of Pi - The role was reshot with Rafe Spall.
Chris Cooper in The Ring - The original ending had him playing a serial rapist or murderer who Naomi Watts passes a copy of the cursed tape to.
Both of these would be interesting to see. Rafe Spall was excellent in Pi so I can't see Maguire in the role.

I haven't seen the Ring in a decade or more, but that Cooper bit sounds interesting.
Old 07-29-18, 08:06 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Kevin Spacey in All the Money in the World.
Old 07-29-18, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Michael Biehn in Terminator 2.

His scene is not in the theatrical cut, but appears in the DVD special edition.
Old 07-29-18, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I was surprised to see Sterling K. Brown cut from split since he's becoming a much bigger name these days
Old 07-29-18, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,191 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Originally Posted by E Unit
Kevin Spacey in All the Money in the World.
My morbid curiosity really wants to see that cut of the movie.
Old 07-29-18, 09:56 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by PatD
Sam Kinison was in a lost scene in Three Amigos!
Illeana Douglas appeared in Chasing Amy
I heard the Sam Kinison scene was canceled before they even filmed it. True?
Old 07-29-18, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Tracey Ullman "Death Becomes Her".
Old 07-29-18, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Chris Penn was originally playing Stifler's dad in American Pie 2. The role was cut and instead they put Stifler's little brother (in fact, when Stifler is on the phone, it was supposed to be talking to his dad). His scene(s) is available (I think) on the Blu-ray release. I know it was included on some special edition DVD release back in the day.

Given it is Malick's MO, this bit of trivia from IMDb is likely true:
Rachel Weisz, Jessica Chastain (playing an ex-girlfriend of Ben Affleck's character), Michael Sheen, Amanda Peet, Barry Pepper, and Michael Shannon had supporting roles in the film which ended up being cut.

Last edited by TheMovieman; 07-29-18 at 10:28 PM.
Old 07-29-18, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 478 Likes on 314 Posts

Jack Black was cut out of True Romance (he played a theatre usher)

The great Dick Miller was cut out of Pulp Fiction (he played Monster Joe or truck 'n tow fame)

Joe Bob Briggs was cut out of Texas Chainsaw Massacre Part II (though for some reason he's still listed in the end credits)
Old 07-30-18, 06:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 89 Likes on 63 Posts

Costner apparently shot a scene for Justice League and had that cut.
Old 07-30-18, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes
Adrien Brody was the lead until Malick changed his mind about the film and cut Brody down to a line or two.
And John Dee Smith (Pvt. Train, the one who wants to “Own an automobile”) ends up doing a majority of the film’s VO.
Old 07-30-18, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 138 Likes on 89 Posts

There is a deleted scene from High Fidelity featuring Beverly D'Angelo as a jilted wife who is selling off her husband's record collection. The scene with Cusack's character taking a phone call from her was left in the film (although you don't see or hear her).
Old 07-31-18, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by Mabuse
I heard the Sam Kinison scene was canceled before they even filmed it. True?
According to this detailed account it was filmed:

https://lostmediawiki.com/Three_Amig...dy_film;_1986)

It seems accurate. And every source I have encountered said it was filmed and lost.
Old 07-31-18, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,192 Likes on 1,497 Posts

Not quite the same thing, but how about films that were originally partially shot with different actors before being recast, like Eric Stoltz in Back to the Future or Jason Robards and Mick Jagger (? not sure if any of his scenes were actually shot) in Fitzcarraldo.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.