Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Stephen King’s From A Buick 8

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-18, 11:18 AM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts

EXCLUSIVE: Stephen King’s bestselling novel From A Buick 8 has been optioned by Ashok Amritraj’s Hyde Park Entertainment. Amritraj has set William Brent Bell to write the script and direct. Bell last helmed the STX release The Boy, and his other credits include the Paramont genre hit The Devil Inside, Wer, and Stay Alive. Amritraj will produce. Addison Mehr and Priya Amritraj will be executive producers.

King published the novel in 2002, his second to feature a vintage car as a fulcrum of evil, alongside Christine. From a Buick 8 centers around the rural town of Statler, Pennsylvania where the state police have kept a mysterious 1954 Buick Roadmaster in the shed behind the barracks for over twenty years. But when the town is plagued by strange and supernatural events, it turns out the Buick isn’t exactly a car- it’s a door to another dimension. Pic becomes the latest title on the prolific author’s back list to reignite. It was once developed as a vehicle for Night of the Living Dead‘s George Romero.

Hyde Park will continue its long-term feature film financing partnership here with ImageNation Abu Dhabi. Next up on the genre front for Hyde Park is Prey, which Hyde Park fully financed as a co-production with Blumhouse. Amritraj and Jason Blum produce that one.

King is repped by Paradigm and Gang, Tyre; Bell is repped by ICM Partners.
https://deadline.com/2018/07/stephen...aj-1202431675/
Old 07-23-18, 11:33 AM

Received 1,907 Likes on 1,126 Posts
re: Stephen King’s From A Buick 8

This is my favorite Stephen King novel. I can't tell you if it's his best, but I love the storytelling device (chapters told from a character's POV as they all tell them same story) and the ending was really satisfying. I haven't read enough of his novels to know if it's connected to the wider King universe much but I wouldn't doubt it.

The audiobook is a lot of fun and I always thought that cast could do the movie well. At least, Bruce Davidson was especially a stand out. He's older now and want ever really a "leading man" to carry a movie, but he was great as the lead in the audiobook.
Old 12-04-19, 01:04 PM

re: Stephen King’s From A Buick 8

EXCLUSIVE: Actor Thomas Jane (The Predator) and producer Courtney Lauren Penn (Altitude) are teaming up to form LA-based content company Renegade Entertainment with Stephen King novel adaptation From A Buick 8 their first movie project on the docket.

Renegade, which will develop and produce film, TV, games and immersive content, is partnering with King to adapt and produce his 2002 thriller novel about a car which is a door to another dimension.

From A Buick 8 centers around the rural town of Statler, Pennsylvania where the state police have kept a mysterious 1954 Buick Roadmaster in the shed behind the barracks for over twenty years. When the town is plagued by strange and supernatural events, it turns out the Buick isn’t what it seems to be.

“From a Buick 8 is a thrilling and deeply personal project for us,” said Jane and Penn, “as we explore a uniquely structured mystery spanning the 70s, 80s, 90s and post-9/11 era, centered around a son’s search for the truth behind his father’s sudden death. Along with first love and grief, terrifying and philosophic mysteries are spawned by inexplicable events connected to the titular car. We are honored that Stephen is supporting our vision of his brilliant, provocative novel.”

Pic becomes the latest title on King’s in-demand back list to reignite. It was once developed as a vehicle for Night Of The Living Dead‘s George Romero and was previously in the works at Hyde Park Entertainment with writer William Brent Bell.
https://deadline.com/2019/12/stephen...de-1202799892/
Old 12-04-19, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Re: Stephen King’s From A Buick 8

Thomas Jane? Is he a huge King fan or his agent or what? The Mist, Dreamcatcher, 1922 & now this. That's a lot of King movies for one resume.
Old 12-04-19, 03:35 PM

He’s a huge King fan.
Old 12-04-19, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Nice. I loved him in the Mist. He was solid in 1922, but the movie itself was kinda lacking.
Old 12-04-19, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,198 Likes on 2,064 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Thomas Jane? Is he a huge King fan or his agent or what? The Mist, Dreamcatcher, 1922 & now this. That's a lot of King movies for one resume.
And yet the article credits him with The Predator rather than any of his King work.
Old 12-04-19, 09:53 PM

In the full article at the link it mentions his King work.
Old 12-04-19, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,190 Likes on 4,217 Posts

Will this be a streaming service movie? Can't imagine it would be a feature motion picture with Jane starring in it.
Old 12-05-19, 07:12 AM

Streaming movies are motion pictures...

But yea... I could imagine this Netflix wanting to acquire this.