Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

New book claims Walt Disney stole the idea of Mickey Mouse

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-18, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts

From nypost.com:

Walt Disney stole the idea for Mickey Mouse off his friend
By Reed Tucker

According to Walt Disney, the idea for Mickey Mouse suddenly popped into his head on a 1928 cross-country train ride “when the business fortunes of my brother Roy and myself were at [their] lowest ebb,” as he wrote in 1948.

Nice story. It’s become part of American lore. But it’s not true.

In reality, Mickey Mouse was created by an animator named Ub Iwerks — sketched in March 1928 on an ordinary piece of two-hole punch paper in less than an hour.

Iwerks has been largely forgotten by the general public, his place in creating the Disney brand downplayed. Walt made sure of that, says a new book, “A Mouse Divided” by Jeff Ryan (Post Hill Press), out Tuesday.

“After [Walt and Ub’s] acrimonious breakup, Walt started telling a story that he had made up Mickey solo, leaving Iwerks out of the equation,” Ryan tells The Post. “As he kept adding to it, people began to realize it wasn’t true. Walt knew what audiences wanted wasn’t the unglamorous truth but a legend, a myth.”

Walt and Ub, whose full name is Ubbe (pronounced “oob”) Iwwerks, started out as best friends. The two men met in Kansas City in 1919 while working at an art studio. They soon launched their own animation venture, producing cartoon shorts that were screened before feature films.

Their biggest success was Oswald the Lucky Rabbit, but the men lost control of the character after a disagreement with a distributor.

A replacement was needed.

Walt and Ub sat down and began brainstorming. Ub drew a horse, a cow, a frog and a dog, but none worked. Finally, Walt suggested a mouse.

Ub went to work and soon filled a piece of paper, divided into six panels, with various versions. One looked more rat-like, with a long, thin snout. Others were dressed in a shirt and necktie. Another was a female, with dramatic eyelashes and a skirt. The final choice, circled in Ub’s blue pencil, shows a crude version of Mickey with the familiar silhouette and two-button pants.

Iwerks soon got to work on Mickey’s first animated short, a May 1928 tribute to Charles Lindbergh called “Plane Crazy.” The animator drew every frame himself, cranking out an unheard-of 700 illustrations a day.

The film was shown at a single Hollywood theater and failed to secure a distributor. Mickey’s follow-up, “The Gallopin’ Gaucho,” also didn’t get picked up for theaters.

It wasn’t until November 1928’s seven-minute “Steamboat Willie,” the first Mickey cartoon with synchronized sound, that the character took off. After it was first screened for Walt on a bed sheet hung on the wall inside the Disney studio, the studio head declared, “This is it! We’ve got it.”

“Steamboat Willie” secured a two-week engagement at New York’s Colony Theater and became an immediate hit. It was so popular that it played before and after the feature film. Celebrity Productions picked up the national distribution rights.

Several more shorts followed. Audiences continued to adore the lovable little rodent. Mickey Mouse, “in a few months’ time, has become a star and worth a star’s billing,” film critic C.A. Lejeune wrote in 1929.

Mickey even blew up overseas, becoming so popular that a 1931 Nazi publication felt the need to condemn him as “filthy, dirt-caked vermin.”

But Ub and Walt’s relationship had begun to fray. Iwerks chafed under the bullying Disney, who treated him less like a partner and more like an employee.

According to Iwerks’ wife, the two men were out to lunch one day in 1930 when a young Mickey fan approached them. Walt asked Ub to whip up a quick sketch for the lad and promised to sign it.

“Draw your own goddamn Mickey,” Ub shot back.

So when Iwerks was offered his own animation studio in 1930, he bolted. For his 20 percent stake in the Disney studio, Iwerks got just $3,000.

Iwerks Studio began producing cartoons featuring new creations, including Flip the Frog. After Walt got wind of Iwerks’ new character, he commissioned a “Silly Symphonies” short with his own cartoon frogs. That production beat Iwerks’ cartoon to theaters by three weeks.

And when Iwerks tried playing Walt’s devious games, he couldn’t compete.

Clarence Nash was a traveling entertainer and impressionist, who Disney invited to do voice work after hearing Nash’s popular bit about a duck reciting “Mary Had a Little Lamb.”

Iwerks also lured Nash to voice a cartoon duck, but technical problems scuttled the recording. In the meantime, Nash phoned Disney and told him what Iwerks was planning. Walt ordered the actor “not to do a damned thing for [Iwerks].”

And that’s how Disney got Donald Duck.

Iwerks was a brilliant animator, but without Walt’s storytelling, his cartoons ultimately fell flat.

His studio went belly up in 1940 and Iwerks put “aside his manque pride” and wrote Walt a letter, seemingly seeking reconciliation. Iwerks soon found himself working for Disney again. It’s unclear if Walt simply took pity on him or if the awkwardness between the men had faded — although “it’s very probable,” said animator Grim Natwick, the two never went back to being friends.

Iwerks worked in various technical capacities at Disney for years, this time as a rank-and-file employee, not a partner.

As Iwerks faded into obscurity, his creation continued to explode — first in mountains of merchandise, then with television shows, theatrical films, a daily comic strip, a theme park and a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. Mickey Mouse was the first animated character to receive that honor.

Iwerks died in 1971, his legacy diminished by the not-so-wonderful world of Disney.

https://nypost.com/2018/06/30/walt-d...ff-his-friend/
Old 07-02-18, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,210 Likes on 2,071 Posts
Re: New book claims Walt Disney stole the idea of Mickey Mouse

I’m not much of a big Disney historian but I’ve heard of Ub Iwerks and was aware of his contributions to Disney in the early days.

Also, “History is written by the Victors.”
Old 07-02-18, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts

I mean stole is a strong word, it seems like Disney still owned it but he stole sole credit for it, like Bob Kane/Bill Finger
Old 07-02-18, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Ub Iwerks' studio actually went belly up iln 1936, not 1940, and he went over to Columbia for several years directing their color cartoons, including the excellent art deco short, "Merry Mannequins" (1937). He even did a couple of Porky Pig cartoons at Warners. He went back to work for Disney in 1940.

The cartoons Iwerks directed at his own studio (1930-36) are interesting for animation buffs and good for children, but they're not nearly as good as his Columbia or Disney shorts. I had a few VHS collections of his work purchased from Blackhawk Films when my daughter was young (30 years ago). They kept her occupied, but they just weren't that good. The Warner Bros. and Fleischer cartoons, not to mention Disney, from the same period are far superior.

"Fiddlesticks" (1930), in color, with Flip the Frog, even included a Mickey rip-off:

You can probably find most of them on YouTube.

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 07-03-18 at 05:55 AM.
Old 07-02-18, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I wonder if The Simpsons episode about Itchy and Scratchy being stolen from their original creator was the inspiration for this?
Old 07-02-18, 05:00 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Everything in that article is well known. Nothing has been hidden nor stolen.

There’s a lengthy Disney made doc about Ub. The Hand Behind the Mouse.

What is up with the fake news!? Even 90 year old entertainment stories are full of bullshit these days.
Old 07-02-18, 05:02 PM
Banned

It’s in the Oswald the Lucky Rabbit 2-disc set.
Old 07-02-18, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mabuse
What is up with the fake news!? Even 90 year old entertainment stories are full of bullshit these days.
That’s the world we live in now.
Old 07-02-18, 08:46 PM
Banned

Everything in that article is plainly shown and explained at the Walt Disney museum in San Francisco, including the actual Iwerks drawn original art. It’s not a secret. Fucking stupidity.
Old 07-02-18, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

Wouldn't surprise me. Most of Disney's film works aren't original stories, but just based on other works. Heck Coco was basically 1:1 of The Book of Life.
Old 07-02-18, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts

Originally Posted by Koby
Wouldn't surprise me. Most of Disney's film works aren't original stories, but just based on other works. Heck Coco was basically 1:1 of The Book of Life.
I'll agree that most of the animated movies are based on other properties, and are clearly noted as such. I'll even grant you the uncredited Kimba/Lion King similarities and even Nadia/Atlantis. But Coco/Book of Life?
Old 07-03-18, 05:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 447 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by Koby
After reading your post I just googled and found out that among others, Peter Pan, Alice in Wonderland & Sleeping Beauty were not original Disney stories. Looks like they did this quite often.
Old 07-03-18, 05:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaymole
After reading your post I just googled and found out that among others, Peter Pan, Alice in Wonderland & Sleeping Beauty were not original Disney stories. Looks like they did this quite often.
Of course, when the Disney studio got through mangling "The Little Mermaid," Hans Christian Andersen petitioned Disney (Walt himself) to have his name removed. But, other than contacting sympathetic mediums, there was little either could do.
Old 07-04-18, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Flip the Frog character evolved over time, like Mickey. Here's a later incarnation:

Old 07-05-18, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

^Some decent animation for the time but that Flip the Frog character is shit!
Old 07-05-18, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

yeah I have the first DVD volume of Ub Iwerks cartoons. The second one i was never able to grab and it skyrocket in price after it went out of print
And I seen the Documentary mentioned above "The Hand that drew Mickey Mouse" really good and it says everything mentioned on the article

I think he should have been definitely be given co-credits but Disney was a very greedy man, most successful people are..
Old 07-06-18, 06:54 PM
Banned

He was a very loyal man as well, and employed Ub for almost his entire life. Ub would make a reputation for himself as a special effects master while at Disney studios.