TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Supergirl (S3E23) -- Season Finale -- "Battles Lost and Won" -- 6/18/18

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-18, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
Supergirl (S3E23) -- Season Finale -- "Battles Lost and Won" -- 6/18/18

SUPERGIRL
“Battles Lost and Won” — (8:00-9:00 p.m. ET) (Content Rating TBD) (HDTV)

SHOCKING SEASON FINALE – Supergirl (Melissa Benoist) and team take on Serena in an epic battle for Earth. Jesse Warn directed the episode written by Robert Rovner & Jessica Queller (#323). Original airdate 6/18/2018.

Returning for a 4th season this Fall and moving to Sunday nights.

If you're way behind and would like to catch up, the entire season should be on Netflix next week.
Old 06-18-18, 08:56 PM

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts
Re: Supergirl (S3E23) -- Season Finale -- "Battles Lost and Won" -- 6/18/18

Didn't understand the teaser ending at all. The rest of the episode was "satisfying".
Old 06-19-18, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by blairwitchfan
Didn't understand the teaser ending at all. The rest of the episode was "satisfying".
The final bit will lead to a variation on the "Elseworlds" story by Mark Millar which wondered what would happen if Superman had been raised in the Soviet Union instead of the United States. This time, of course, it will be Kara's doppelganger.

I was most surprised that Alex didn't end up with Ruby after the producers had been teeing it up all season, even within this episode. Perhaps the fact everyone apparently saw it coming was the reason they backed off.

Last edited by DWilson; 06-19-18 at 06:30 AM.
Old 06-19-18, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Superman was busy saving Madagascar? From what? I guess Winn didn't care that he recently reconciled with his mom? (Or did she die--I can't remember.) I wonder if James will continue to play vigilante now that he's had his Tony Stark "I am Iron Man" moment. I'd worry about someone suing me for injury or collateral damage if I were him. Hope the Martians are gone for good. Not happy that they brought back Mon-El only to have him whine all season about his arranged marriage and lost chance with Kara and then have him go back to the future.
Old 06-19-18, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 155 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Schmoe
Superman was busy saving Madagascar? From what?
Summer ice cream season. Have you seen the price of vanilla lately? It’s more expensive then silver.

Last edited by Kdogg; 06-19-18 at 07:23 PM.
Old 06-19-18, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk God

Was that a clone of Kara at the end? A little confused with that ending. Other than that, I thought it was a pretty satisfying end to the season.

So for all intents and purposes, Brainy is essentially replacing Winn as the DEO's geek.
Old 06-19-18, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by DJariya
So for all intents and purposes, Brainy is essentially replacing Winn as the DEO's geek.
Guess so, though I don't know why the change was necessary unless it was the actor's choice (Winn) to reduce his workload.
Old 06-19-18, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk God

Here's Jeremy Jordan's Instagram statement on why he's cutting back his workload.

Mainly sounds like he doesn't want to live and work in Canada for 6-8 months/year.
Old 06-19-18, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Mon-El isn't returning either: http://www.darkhorizons.com/mon-el-i...cws-supergirl/
Old 06-19-18, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Was that a clone of Kara at the end? A little confused with that ending. Other than that, I thought it was a pretty satisfying end to the season.

I wasn't quiet clear on that, either, though I realized what they were setting up. Here's a description from TVLine's interview with the producers:

Then came the episode’s final scene, which introduced a second Kara — one born from the aura that left Supergirl’s body during the battle with Reign — in Siberia.
“For fans of the comics, I think they might recognize that the story we want to tell is inspired by the iconic DC Comics’ Red Son, which told an alternate origin story for Superman,” Rovner tells TVLine, to which Queller adds, “What happened if — as a baby — Superman landed in Russia and became a hero there instead of in America. It’s an homage to that.”
Old 06-19-18, 08:58 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Schmoe
Superman was busy saving Madagascar? From what? I guess Winn didn't care that he recently reconciled with his mom? (Or did she die--I can't remember.) I wonder if James will continue to play vigilante now that he's had his Tony Stark "I am Iron Man" moment. I'd worry about someone suing me for injury or collateral damage if I were him. Hope the Martians are gone for good. Not happy that they brought back Mon-El only to have him whine all season about his arranged marriage and lost chance with Kara and then have him go back to the future.
Somebody's got to save the lemurs.

Lena must be the dumbest genius around. Supergirl's mom is talking with Alex, whom she knows is Kara's sister. Kara is never at the DEO, but Supergirl is- and also is interacting constantly with Alex.
Old 06-20-18, 05:48 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not a big fan of Supergirl but watched it due to my cousin.
Old 06-20-18, 07:15 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

I'm pretty much done with the show. It's terrible- it's the worst written superhero show on TV by far now, and just not very entertaining. There is no reason to watch it- even for the tie-ins for the yearly crossover.
Old 06-20-18, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

My wife loves the show and I enjoy it as well. Solid finale. I liked the throwaway line about Superman. That's all I need, to show why he isnt in National City for such a big threat.
Old 06-20-18, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck
I liked the throwaway line about Superman. That's all I need, to show why he isnt in National City for such a big threat.
I must've missed it... What did it say?
Old 06-20-18, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Koby
The news reported he was busy saving Madagascar.
Old 06-20-18, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

Originally Posted by Koby
It was a brief glimpse of Superman on a news report doing something heroic somewhere else.

Supergirl got a Legion flight ring. I expect Mon-El comes back at some point after the actor doesn't get any significant roles on another show.

You can tell that the current cast are already preparing for their next possible gigs after Supergirl is canceled.
Old 06-21-18, 02:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Well, it was a season finale...
Old 06-21-18, 05:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
Wonder who Melissa will be banging next now that Chris won't be around.
Old 06-23-18, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 155 Posts

Thought it was an entertaining finale, especially for a show that frequently does not entertain. I've long been a fan of Odette Yustman so I was happy to see her on the show this year, and I'm glad they have at least left open the possibility of her returning, although I'm not sure how that would work.

I don't think Harewood is leaving the show, but the thing with J'onn is that anyone can play b/c he can be anyone. Since he's not with the DEO there is no need for him to be Hank Henshaw anymore.

I'm not sure exactly what happened with the Morgan Edge storyline. They seemed to have dropped that in the middle of the season. Maybe Pasdar was busy doing AoS. Or maybe Edge ran off to live with Maxwell Lord.

Really sorry to see Jeremy Jordan go, but I understand completely why he felt the need to do so. While Winn was a fun character, there wasn't exactly a whole lot of room to stretch his other talents. I won't miss Chris Wood's Mon-El though. At least the character was better this year, but that speaks more to how awful he was last year rather than to being particularly good this year.

Really, really wish that somehow Alex was needed to save the future. There is a character that the show has ruined beyond redemption for me.

I certainly fully understand the motivation to quit watching this show, but I'm sure come next fall I'll still be watching.
Old 06-24-18, 02:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DWilson
The final bit will lead to a variation on the "Elseworlds" story by Mark Millar which wondered what would happen if Superman had been raised in the Soviet Union instead of the United States. This time, of course, it will be Kara's doppelganger.

I was most surprised that Alex didn't end up with Ruby after the producers had been teeing it up all season, even within this episode. Perhaps the fact everyone apparently saw it coming was the reason they backed off.
Well that could still happen. Alex could hook up with Sam and they raise Ruby together.
Old 07-04-18, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The should have killed Sam and placed Ruby with Alex. I suspect all those leaving the shows as regulars will be back eventually in one-off appearances. The only one I'll miss is JJ/MM. Since I actually like the idea of a Soviet alternate universe story, I'll give the next season a shot.
Old 11-26-18, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 601 Likes on 434 Posts

Finally caught up.

Terrible season.

So much dumb happened.

What was going on with the giant frozen water spiral that they immediately destroyed?