Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Deep State (EPIX) -- S: Mark Strong - International Spy Thriller - Premieres 6/17/18

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Deep State (EPIX) -- S: Mark Strong - International Spy Thriller - Premieres 6/17/18

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-18, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,696 Likes on 2,656 Posts

Starring the critically-acclaimed actor Mark Strong, and Game of Thrones' Joe Dempsie, the gritty new drama is set to premiere on Sunday, June 17 at 9pm. Co-created, directed and written by Matthew Parkhill (Rogue) DEEP STATE is a grounded, visceral thriller, moving between the deeply personal story of a family man fighting to escape his past and the violent, dark excesses of government and global corporate power. DEEP STATE centers around Max Easton (Mark Strong, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, Zero Dark Thirty, Kingsman-The Golden Circle), an ex-spy whose past comes back to haunt him when he's summoned away from his new life in the Pyrenees by George White (Alistair Petrie, The Night Manager, Rogue One), head of covert MI6/CIA team "The Section." White convinces Max to return to the field to avenge the death of his estranged son Harry (Joe Dempsie, Game of Thrones, Skins). But the stakes are soon raised when Max finds himself at the heart of a covert intelligence war, immersed in a widespread conspiracy to profit from the spread of chaos in the Middle East. Max enters into a dangerous game as powerful corporations demonstrate that they are willing to go to great lengths to protect their reputation and bury their secrets. With such a strong undercurrent of corruption, who can Max trust? Who is telling the truth? And what must be done to uncover it? To find out, Max is going to have to throw himself back into the dangerous and brutal life he so desperately tried to leave behind.

PRINCIPAL CAST INFORMATION:
· Alistair Petrie as George White
· Amelia Bullmore
· Anastasia Griffith
· Fares Fares
· Joe Dempsie as Harry
· Karima McAdams as Harry
· Kingsley Ben-Adir
· Lyne Renée
· Mark Strong as Max Easton
· Pip Torrens

8 episode 1st season

The 1st episode can be watched for free in it's entirety on YouTube:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/kzTHhgfKclE" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This is an EPIX original series, so I'm sure very very few to none will be watching this here.

It's airing on FOX in the UK.
Old 06-18-18, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk God

Re: Deep State (EPIX) -- S: Mark Strong - International Spy Thriller - Premieres 6/17

I watched the first episode the other day on a free trial via the Epix app.

It’s a little slow and I’m not sure I followed everything, but it got better towards the end. There was a pretty intense final sequence. I did like Strong as the spy being reluctantly brought out of retirement.

Well, unfortunately I won’t be able to watch the rest since I don’t get Epix.
Old 06-26-18, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: Deep State (EPIX) -- S: Mark Strong - International Spy Thriller - Premieres 6/17

I'm keeping up with this show and the second episode is just as good as the first. Between The Americans and Looming Tower, we're getting a good fix of political thrillers.

An aside: has anyone seen Berlin Station, also on EPIX?
Old 08-29-18, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk God

https://deadline.com/2018/08/deep-st...er-1202454019/

Walton Goggins has signed on as the new lead and Executive Producer of season 2.

I realized no one here watched this because it's on EPIX, which pretty much no one here gets.

I only saw the 1st episode due to a free EPIX preview and it was good.

I'll watch it if it gets released on say Hulu or Amazon who does get EPIX content on a delay.

Goggins will take over for Mark Strong, who starred in the first season. He will play Nathan Miller, a former CIA operative who now works in the private sector as a “Michael Clayton-like” fixer for the deep state. Also joining the series as new cast members are Victoria Hamilton (The Crown) as Meaghan Sullivan, a Republican U.S. senator who is determined to bring the illicit activities of the deep state to light; Lily Banda (The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind) as Aicha Konaté, a Malian aid worker intent on improving things for her country; and Shelley Conn (Liar), who plays Miller’s ex-wife.

Returning cast members for the second season include Joe Dempsie, Karima McAdams, Alistair Petrie and Anastasia Griffiths. Production takes place in South Africa, Morocco and the UK, with Season 2 set to premiere globally in 2019.

Co-created, directed and written by Matthew Parkhill (Rogue), Deep State is described as a grounded, visceral thriller that moves between the deeply personal story of a family man fighting to escape his past and the violent, dark excesses of government and global corporate power.

The first season centered on Max Easton (Strong), an ex-spy whose past comes back to haunt him when he’s summoned away from his new life in the Pyrenees by George White (Petrie), head of covert MI6/CIA team called The Section. White convinces Max to return to the field to avenge the death of his estranged son Harry. But the stakes are soon raised when Max finds himself at the heart of a covert intelligence war, immersed in a widespread conspiracy to profit from the spread of chaos in the Middle East.

The second season will expand and delve deeper into the murky world of the deep state. Having failed in the Middle East, those powers now are turning their attention to Sub-Saharan Africa and the scramble to plunder its natural resources. This is the first dirty war over clean energy. The season also will explore the origin stories of some of our favorite characters from Season 1 alongside witnessing the fall of a hero and orchestrating the making of a terrorist in the eyes of the West.

“At the heart of this project is this major new character, Nathan Miller (Goggins), an ex-CIA agent, who now acts on behalf of the deep state,” said showrunner Parkhill. “Our aim for the show is to move beyond the first season, expanding the shadowy world of the deep state and encourage viewers to delve deeper into how it goes about ruthlessly achieving its goals.”

The show, produced by Red Arrow’s Endor Productions, also airs on U.S. network Epix and has been sold to broadcasters including SBS in Australia, NBCUniversal in France, Super Channel in Canada, TVNZ in New Zealand and DRTV in Denmark.

Goggins recently starred in CBS’ drama pilot L.A. Confidential, based on James Ellroy’s classic noir novel. He won a Critics’ Choice Award for his performance in the HBO comedy series Vice Principals, landed an Emmy nomination for his role as Boyd Crowder on FX’s Justified and starred in the first season of History’s top-rated scripted military drama series Six.

On the feature side, Goggins stars as the villain opposite Alicia Vikander in Warner Bros./MGM’s upcoming Tomb Raider, co-starred in Quentin Tarantino’s The Hateful Eight and Django Unchained and is onscreen in Marvel’s Ant-Man and the Wasp. Goggins is repped by ICM Partners and Darris Hatch Management.
Old 02-22-19, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk God

Re: Deep State (EPIX) -- S: Mark Strong - International Spy Thriller - Premieres 6/17/18

The FOX trailer for season 2 of Deep State. Now with Walton Goggins as the lead.

Comes out on EPIX April 28th.
Old 04-24-19, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk God

Re: Deep State (EPIX) -- S: Mark Strong - International Spy Thriller - Premieres 6/17/18

New Trailer

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/F4iV2Vnijgk" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Again, it premieres this Sunday.

Can this thread get a title update....Walton Goggins is the new star.
Old 06-29-19, 08:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just finished season 2. Freaking awful. I think it was an all-British cast, because the "American" accents on the Senator, her aide, and some of the others were so terrible it took the viewer completely out of the scene.

Plus, I didn't buy the plot line. Bunch of Intelligence badasses try to save an interpreter that they pretty much ruthlessly coerced into working for them. It just sucked in every way. Leila is hot, though.

I need to go back and re-watch S1, because I have really good memories of it. I binged it on a tablet during an international flight from France to USA, though, so maybe it was just sleeplessness and lack of oxygen.