Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

George Lucas comments on his ideas for The Sequel Trilogy

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-18, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

https://www.newsarama.com/40356-fans...sodes-7-9.html

Holy shit...I think we should all be happy with what we got in The Last Jedi. Microbiotic???
Old 06-13-18, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts
Re: Future Star Wars projects discussion thread - news, rumors, etc.

Originally Posted by Timber
https://www.newsarama.com/40356-fans...sodes-7-9.html

Holy shit...I think we should all be happy with what we got in The Last Jedi. Microbiotic???
Remember midichlorians? Lucas had the idea they were living organisms that created the Force or something. Each Force user had these micro organisms living in their blood. But this was an early idea that goes back to the 1980s. It's doubtful Lucas would have gone with that idea for a sequel trilogy in this century.

This is Disney using its marketing prowess to remind fans that Lucas keeping the franchise could have been just as terrible. Anything to distract from the growing hatred of Kathleen Kennedy by fans.
Old 06-13-18, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

So to distract from the now growing hatred of Kathleen Kennedy they planted this in a book that was likely finished sometime last year?
Old 06-13-18, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 551 Likes on 343 Posts

Disney sure is good at conspiracy stuff. Paying off critics for good reviews of Marvel films, bad reviews of DC films and now trying to save face with Kennedy. They probably shot those other two Kennedys and MLK too.

Some people really are fucking stupid.
Old 06-13-18, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,409 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Just a reminder that the midichlorians were never stated to be the source of The Force, only the antenna. What exactly was driving The Force to do all the things it was doing (like creating Anakin as a virgin birth and such) were still mysteries.

That bit about the microbiotics seems like it would be explaining that mystery, actually telling us about the life forms that were directing The Force to do what it did. I guess the next mystery would be *why* they told The Force to do those things.

I never had a big issue with the midichlorians, there was always stuff in the expanded universe (and even in the OT) that hinted at a genetic connection. But the actual source of The Force should remain a mystery. Too much further and you're getting into "why does God need a starship?" territory.
Old 06-13-18, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,653 Likes on 1,032 Posts

The midichlorians were a dumb idea. It's like explaining how Superman can fly with some dumb shit like his body generates anti-gravity nano-organisms or something equally ridiculous. Who cares? He can fly - that's all that needs to be said.
Old 06-13-18, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
The midichlorians were a dumb idea. It's like explaining how Superman can fly with some dumb shit like his body generates anti-gravity nano-organisms or something equally ridiculous. Who cares? He can fly - that's all that needs to be said.
They're called Gravitons and he doesn't generate them so much as they're invisible elements existing in the universe that only his Kryptonian biology can harness.
Old 06-13-18, 07:07 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

That super hearing is working today!
Old 06-15-18, 05:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Many have wondered why Disney and Lucas split regarding his notes on the ST? Lucas said Disney wanted to make a movie for the fans, and he didn't want to do that (back on the Charlie Rose show in 2015). Now he mentions a broad macro/idea he had for the Trilogy that would tie into the 9 movie saga. Interested in what SW fans think?

https://www.slashfilm.com/george-luc...trilogy-plans/
Old 06-15-18, 06:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 740 Likes on 366 Posts
Re: George Lucas comments on his ideas for The Sequel Trilogy

After reading that, I'm still glad that Star Wars is out of his hands.
Old 06-15-18, 07:31 AM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

Moved discussion from other thread into this one.
Old 06-15-18, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 855 Posts

Originally Posted by mcnabb
Many have wondered why Disney and Lucas split regarding his notes on the ST? Lucas said Disney wanted to make a movie for the fans, and he didn't want to do that (back on the Charlie Rose show in 2015). Now he mentions a broad macro/idea he had for the Trilogy that would tie into the 9 movie saga. Interested in what SW fans think?

All the way back to – with the Force and the Jedi and everything – the whole concept of how things happen was laid out completely from [the beginning] to the end. But I never got to finish. I never got to tell people about it. If I held onto the company, I could have done it, and then it would have been done.
Bullshit George. Your concepts since 1977 have been more fluid than the swamp waters of Dagobah. You may have always had a plan, but there has never “always been A plan”. Three trilogies, one trilogy, two trilogies said it all ... it was always the story to be told from the droids’ POV ... it was the story of good versus evil, of technocrats versus primitive societies ... or was it always the story of the Skywalker clan ... the three trilogies would each be generations of the Skywalkers ... or was it always the same central characters for one/three/six/nine movies?

Fuck, this shit just pushes my buttons. I don’t have any problem with admitting the concepts have changed ... people change over time, your views change over time, and your creative output is going to change. Is Spielberg the only one that admit this? This “I am the master and I always was” superiority complex of Lucas and Ridley Scott just makes them douche bags.

And don’t give me this “I never got to finish” bullshit either ... you CHOSE not to finish. Nobody took anything away from you. You CHOSE not to make any Star Wars movies for nearly 20 years. You CHOSE to sell it off. For fuck’s sake, you are not some sympathetic victim of an artist.
Old 06-15-18, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,885 Posts

“Back in the day, I used to say ultimately what this means is we were just cars, vehicles, for the Whills to travel around in…We’re vessels for them. And the conduit is the midi-chlorians. The midi-chlorians are the ones that communicate with the Whills. The Whills, in a general sense, they are the Force.”
Jesus Christ...

It always blows my mind when the actual creators of these don't get their own creations. Look at Ridley Scott and Prometheus and Covenant. The more you explain away this stuff, the more you demystify it, the less interesting it becomes. Especially when your explanations are really fucking stupid.

Did we really want to know that the " Space Jockies" were geneticists who created the human race? Did we really want to know that the aliens were created by an android? Do we really want to know how the Force works in excruciating detail?
Old 06-15-18, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Lucas was never going to make better films for the sequels than we’ve gotten and this pretty much proves it. The guy is so up his own ass.

It’s so funny because I’ve seen people trying to justify the prequels as better than they were initially given credit for suddenly and wanting to heap praise on him like he was this genius and like he’d have done so much better than The Last Jedi. Give me a break.
Old 06-15-18, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 64 Posts

Hard to believe the guy that wrote the Yoda speech from Empire came up with this nonsense.
Old 06-15-18, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by JeremyM
Hard to believe the guy that wrote the Yoda speech from Empire came up with this nonsense.
Really makes you wonder when Empire would've been without Kersner and Kasden.
Old 06-15-18, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Mixed feelings on this one. On the surface I kinda like the idea more than midichlorians. Taking the SW Universe into a microbial world? I'm down with that. It's not a bad idea... per se...if he started the sequel trilogy in 1984, or even dropped a line or alluded to it in the OT.

In 2018? Horrible idea. At this point you have multiple generations of SW fans that have their idea of what the Force is. Not only that but you have other authors, comics writers, game designers, animated show creators, etc. put their stamp on the universe and the Force. You can't change it 40 years after the fact. The Force is just, the Force.

It would garner the same ridicule as midichlorians in 1999. You can't change it, that late into the game without expecting a level of derision.
Old 06-15-18, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts

Corvin is right. People would have lapped this up if it was done in the 80s or early 90s. Including the people in this thread who saw the movies when they first came out.
Old 06-15-18, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mike86
Lucas was never going to make better films for the sequels than we’ve gotten and this pretty much proves it. The guy is so up his own ass.
I think that is the root of too many sequels is that there are two ways they usually come out: A total retread and you grab the viewer with nostalgia like Disney's ST (especially TFA). Or you make a total left turn just to make it different, but it's probably TOO different for everyone's taste.

It’s so funny because I’ve seen people trying to justify the prequels as better than they were initially given credit for suddenly and wanting to heap praise on him like he was this genius and like he’d have done so much better than The Last Jedi. Give me a break.
I think the way I would sum up the PT vs ST: The PT has a better story, a more ambitious story with a lot going on in the backround with political maneuvering. But it's just horribly executed by Lucas, along with characters we don't care about, and too much CGI. The ST is the opposite where the movies are well done, the characters are likeable, the real locations are much better, but the story is just blah/unoriginal, as they feel like you're watching a good cover band at a bar.
Old 06-15-18, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I don’t think the story of the prequels is all that great. I mean the entire trilogy is basically the fall of the Jedi and Anakin becoming Darth Vader. Most of the first two films and about half of the third are a bunch of filler garbage. Only the last act or so of the third film is where things really came together.
Old 06-15-18, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don’t think the story of the prequels is all that great. I mean the entire trilogy is basically the fall of the Jedi and Anakin becoming Darth Vader. Most of the first two films and about half of the third are a bunch of filler garbage. Only the last act or so of the third film is where things really came together.
I actually like Palpatine's story/arc throughout the Trilogy as I'm probably in the minority of enjoying the political story/scenes. The problem for me is that Anakin's story/arc is just executed horribly (the turn scene in ROTS was a terrible scene) and that sunk the PT for me.
Old 06-15-18, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetoast
Corvin is right. People would have lapped this up if it was done in the 80s or early 90s. Including the people in this thread who saw the movies when they first came out.
When I was ten the thought of combining Star Wars with Micronauts would have seemed totally awesome.

Now, not so much...
Old 06-15-18, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,203 Likes on 1,506 Posts

Come on man, Vader vs. Baron Karza, it would be epic!
Old 06-15-18, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Bullshit George. Your concepts since 1977 have been more fluid than the swamp waters of Dagobah. You may have always had a plan, but there has never “always been A plan”. Three trilogies, one trilogy, two trilogies said it all ... it was always the story to be told from the droids’ POV ... it was the story of good versus evil, of technocrats versus primitive societies ... or was it always the story of the Skywalker clan ... the three trilogies would each be generations of the Skywalkers ... or was it always the same central characters for one/three/six/nine movies?

Fuck, this shit just pushes my buttons. I don’t have any problem with admitting the concepts have changed ... people change over time, your views change over time, and your creative output is going to change. Is Spielberg the only one that admit this? This “I am the master and I always was” superiority complex of Lucas and Ridley Scott just makes them douche bags.

And don’t give me this “I never got to finish” bullshit either ... you CHOSE not to finish. Nobody took anything away from you. You CHOSE not to make any Star Wars movies for nearly 20 years. You CHOSE to sell it off. For fuck’s sake, you are not some sympathetic victim of an artist.
No argument here...

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Jesus Christ...

It always blows my mind when the actual creators of these don't get their own creations. Look at Ridley Scott and Prometheus and Covenant. The more you explain away this stuff, the more you demystify it, the less interesting it becomes. Especially when your explanations are really fucking stupid.

Did we really want to know that the " Space Jockies" were geneticists who created the human race? Did we really want to know that the aliens were created by an android? Do we really want to know how the Force works in excruciating detail?
Or here.
Old 06-15-18, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

I think the way I would sum up the PT vs ST: The PT has a better story, a more ambitious story with a lot going on in the backround with political maneuvering. But it's just horribly executed by Lucas, along with characters we don't care about, and too much CGI.
I wouldn't say it's a better story by any stretch, but it is more ambitious and attempting something different. Unfortunately it fails in every regard.

I actually like Palpatine's story/arc throughout the Trilogy
Again, he had potential but it was executed horribly. Not to mention either McDiarmid is a horrendous actor, or he was just directed poorly like everyone else in the PT.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.