Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

BREAKING: Anthony Bourdain of CNN’s “Parts Unknown” is dead at 61 of apparent suicide

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

BREAKING: Anthony Bourdain of CNN’s “Parts Unknown” is dead at 61 of apparent suicide

Old 06-08-18, 06:31 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Suicide. Wow.
Old 06-08-18, 06:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts
re: BREAKING: Anthony Bourdain of CNN’s “Parts Unknown” is dead at 61 of apparent suicide

crushed
Old 06-08-18, 06:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts
re: BREAKING: Anthony Bourdain of CNN’s “Parts Unknown” is dead at 61 of apparent suicide

Man, this one really sucks. Not that one is worse than the other but this is a person that I feel like had some importance to me personally. Only 61 with a young daughter. Just horrible.
Old 06-08-18, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 95 Posts

Completely floored by this. However, I don’t think any of us could entirely say surprised? He certainly had a tumultuous life, but seemed to have strong friends in the industry.

I wonder how much separating from his recent wife had to do with it, especially if didn’t have access to his daughter (pure speculation).
Old 06-08-18, 06:56 AM

Received 1,883 Likes on 1,114 Posts

Wow. Depression is a silent killer, terrible news. The thread title threw me for a second. I thought it was that the series was dead, and I noticed his show was going off Netflix this month.

My favorite Anthony Bourdain episode is when he went to Jerusalem. He went in some places many don't go, such as the Palestinian ghetto. I had the chance to walk the same streets he did in it a few years later and speak with people he likely spoke with. It was fascinating being near the political protest murals he'd been by, and see how some had changed (but not the oppressive policies, unfortunately).
Old 06-08-18, 07:15 AM

Received 4,551 Likes on 3,087 Posts

Wow. That is surprising.

Not to get all conspiracy theory on this... but... I mean... he was dating Asia Argento wasn't he? He was very vocal about Harvey Weinstein... who knows.

Here is the story from TMZ:

Beloved chef and TV host Anthony Bourdain is dead of an apparent suicide.

Bourdain was found dead in his hotel room in France ... according to CNN. The network says Bourdain's friend Eric Ripert discovered the body Friday morning. He had hanged himself.

They were on location, shooting an episode of his award winning show, 'Parts Unknown.'

Bourdain made his name first as a chef ... and then an author. His famous book, "Kitchen Confidential: Adventures in the Culinary Underbelly," was published in 2000, and its enormous success helped him jump into TV.

His first show was "A Cook's Tour" on the Food Network -- but the series 'No Reservations' on the Travel Channel was his breakout hit.

In 2013, 'Parts Unknown' premiered on CNN, and it immediately won a Peabody Award.

Anthony's suicide comes just 3 days after Kate Spade took her own life by hanging herself in her NYC home.

Bourdain was 61.

Story developing ...
Old 06-08-18, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 95 Posts
Re: BREAKING: Anthony Bourdain of CNN’s “Parts Unknown” is dead at 61 of apparent sui

When they said it was in France I wondered if he was filming with Eric. 🙁

What does he GF have anything to do with Weinstein? I’m not familiar.

I wonder if he found he was sick and didn’t want to go through any treatments. He loved France, and spent a lot of time there as a kid and adultZ. I wonder if he had planed it to be there.
Old 06-08-18, 07:29 AM

Re: BREAKING: Anthony Bourdain of CNN’s “Parts Unknown” is dead at 61 of apparent sui

Originally Posted by Superman07
His girlfriend is one of the women accusing Weinstein of rape.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Old 06-08-18, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 901 Likes on 665 Posts

Originally Posted by Superman07
Asia was one of the people who came out with allegations about Harvey. I'm not sure about the extent but she was a victim.

Really crushed by this one. Being done via hanging is even worse cause you really have to think about it and put some effort in; rather than just pulling a trigger or jumping.

I fear that as suicide becomes less taboo, we'll see more and more people choose to end their own life.
Old 06-08-18, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts

Wow, this is a shocker. RIP.

Feel terrible for Asia Argento.
Old 06-08-18, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan

I fear that as suicide becomes less taboo, we'll see more and more people choose to end their own life.
Much like school shootings it's seems that the stigma is wearing off on suicide so we'll be seeing more and more of these. It freaking sucks.
Old 06-08-18, 07:56 AM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

This is horrible, I'm really shocked. I really liked the guy. The way he immersed himself into the culture of the places he visit it was inspiring. RIP sir
Old 06-08-18, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 386 Likes on 276 Posts

I feel bad for his daughter.
Old 06-08-18, 08:11 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by jpcamb
I feel bad for his daughter.
This is what really makes me sad. My wife and I met him during one of his book tours about 10 years ago. I asked him about his daughter since his and ours are the same age. I guess I hit something good because we talked for about 10 minutes about foods our daughters liked and hated. He was like me, a proud dad who happens to have depression.
Old 06-08-18, 08:24 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Damn.

I was in the middle of a re-watch of the short-lived KITCHEN CONFIDENTIAL on Hulu as well.
Old 06-08-18, 08:45 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

What the heck is going on? Spade, now Bourdain, this is awful.
Old 06-08-18, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,019 Likes on 810 Posts

This one bums me out a lot.
Old 06-08-18, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

I never heard of Kate Spade when she kill herself but I know Anthony Bourdain from Parts Unknown I like watching. I still can't believe he ended his life.
Old 06-08-18, 10:17 AM

Speculative...

Anthony Bourdain and Asia Argento seemed as tight as ever just last week ... but it appears something changed within the last few days.

Asia, an Italian actress and director, also worked on Bourdain's show, 'Parts Unknown.' They were on a shoot together in Hong Kong that wrapped just about a week ago. Anthony posted a pic of the crew, including Asia, who was sitting right next to him.

The week before that, they were together in Florence, Italy ... and still looked very happy and romantic.

Here's where things get murky. We know Anthony was shooting his show in France this week -- he'd been there for at least 4 days. However, Asia was seen back in Rome, strolling around with a French reporter named Hugo Clément. There were photos of them holding hands and hugging, but the Italian photographer who shot the pics pulled them off the market on the heels of Anthony's death.

It's unclear if Anthony and Asia had broken up. If they did, there was no public announcement. Their last public appearance together at an event was back in April in NYC.

Anthony and Asia started dating in early 2017, and he supported her when she went public with rape allegations against Harvey Weinstein -- saying, "I am proud and honored to know you. You just did the hardest thing in the world."
http://www.tmz.com/
Old 06-08-18, 10:20 AM

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Wow, terrible news. I didn't watch his show religiously, but would catch it when it was on. I follow both he and Asia on social media and both of them seemed to be getting along.

Sad news indeed. RIP
Old 06-08-18, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,187 Likes on 1,492 Posts

Very sad news, I found his shows very educational and entertaining, I really liked the guy.
Old 06-08-18, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 612 Likes on 492 Posts

Very said. Seemed like a lover of life.

So loved seeing his trip to Iran.
Old 06-08-18, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Perkinsun Dzees
Wow, this is a shocker. RIP.

Feel terrible for Asia Argento.
Who I really feel terrible for is Bourdain's 11-year-old daughter. Kate Spade left behind a 13-year-old daughter. These children will never be the same.
Old 06-08-18, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Depression is a motherfucker.

And we have no idea if he had lived with it for a while, or if it was a more recent thing.
He was found dead by his good friend chef Eric Ripert - I can't even imagine.
Old 06-08-18, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 999 Likes on 619 Posts

Yeah, I hope Ripert has some good friends around him right now. That must have been truly awful. So sad to hear this news. I don't watch CNN any more, but I did enjoy Parts Unknown when I still had cable (and No Reservations before that). He really seemed to live life to the fullest. RIP Anthony.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.