Supergirl (S3E20) -- "Dark Side of the Moon" -- 5/28/18

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-18, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
Supergirl (S3E20) -- "Dark Side of the Moon" -- 5/28/18

MONDAY, MAY 28

SUPERGIRL

"Dark Side of the Moon" - (8:00-9:00 p.m. ET) (TV-PG, V) (HDTV)

SUPERGIRL LEARNS A STUNNING SECRET ABOUT KRYPTON - Supergirl (Melissa Benoist) is stunned to discover that a part of Krypton survived. Meanwhile, Alex (Chyler Leigh) is attacked while out with Ruby (guest star Emma Tremblay), and Lena (Katie McGrath) considers how far she will go to keep Reign contained. Hanelle Culpepper directed the episode written by Derek Simon & Katie Rose Rogers (#320). Original airdate 5/28/2018.

Episode 20 of 23
Old 05-29-18, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
Re: Supergirl (S3E20) -- "Dark Side of the Moon" -- 5/28/18

Well that was interesting last night with the reveal that Alura was still alive along with the citizens of Argo city. Only thing that I wonder is why Alura hasn't aged after all that time passing since Kara went to earth. Durance is only 9 years older than Benoist and looks more like her older sister. But, Durance is starting to show her age now.

Here's an interview with Durance about the Alura reveal. Doesn't sound 100% committed to being a long-term fixture on this show.

http://ew.com/tv/2018/05/23/supergir...erica-durance/

A little confused about next week's teaser. It was edited weird considering Reign is still in the mix.
Old 05-29-18, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Way back in season 2, I mentioned how this show seems so desperate to appeal to the LBTQ community that I wondered how long it would be until they added a transgender character. Well the wait is over.

https://nerdist.com/supergirl-transg...cter-season-4/

After hints at the beginning of the year, The CW’s Supergirl has put out a casting call for a transgender actress to join the show’s fourth season. The public casting call, put out by Cast It Talent on behalf of the show, sheds some light on the role of the character Nia Nal and how she’ll be integrated into the cast:
“Transgender woman, early 20s, open ethnicity. A confident, wunderkind of a fashionista. Once a political speechwriter, Nia is the newest addition to the Catco investigative reporting team. With her she brings sparkling wit and biting humor but under that banter-y, chic façade, lays a soulful young woman who has much to offer the world. A young ‘Cat Grant’ type.”

Calista Flockhart starred as Catco Worldwide Media founder and CEO Cat Grant in the first season of Supergirl and has since had a recurring role.
Nia Nal thus appears designed in part to fill the shoes of Calista Flockhart‘s Cat Grant, who has been largely absent since the beginning of season two, when production shifted from Hollywood to Vancouver, British Columbia.
The casting call comes four months after Supergirl executive producer and writer Greg Berlanti spoke at the DC in D.C. event about the lack of trans representation in the broader Arrowverse. “We don’t have an active trans character across the shows, you know. And we had a trans actress playing a trans in a show I did that was not a superhero show, eleven years ago. And so I still feel behind the times every day on that issue,” Berlanti said in response to an audience question about creating more diverse queer representation.
Berlanti previously worked as executive producer on Dirty Sexy Money, which aired on ABC from 2007-2009, and featured trans actress Candis Cayne in a recurring role as Carmelita Rainer.
Old 05-29-18, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
But, Durance is starting to show her age now.
The plastic surgery she had done on her face, especially the horrible lip job, has made her look worse, in my opinion, than had she done nothing.
Old 05-29-18, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,805 Likes on 1,127 Posts

Originally Posted by robin2099
Way back in season 2, I mentioned how this show seems so desperate to appeal to the LBTQ community that I wondered how long it would be until they added a transgender character. Well the wait is over.

Ooh shit. I didn't know Berlanti was part of Dirty Sexy Money. Loved that show.
Old 05-30-18, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by robin2099

Maybe her and Alex can date. You never know with this show.
Old 05-31-18, 08:22 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

didn't like it

Season limping to a limp end
Old 05-31-18, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I was cool with it. Though, I don't like Kara having her mom be alive. Unlike the Gay relationships on Berlanti shows, having her Mom be alive does in fact seem FORCED. I keep thinking her mom will turn out to be a shapeshifter or Host from Westworld.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 06-01-18 at 01:26 PM.
Old 06-01-18, 12:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Took a 2nd view to realize, I think, the council member is the same as the witch in the hologram?
Old 06-01-18, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 155 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by SmithsGuy
Took a 2nd view to realize, I think, the council member is the same as the witch in the hologram?
Yes it is. Without the previous on Supergirl scenes I won’t have known.
Old 06-02-18, 12:07 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Another rogue Kryptonian. lol

Once the US gov't finds out there is a whole city of Kryptonians floating around they'll be shitting bricks.
Old 06-02-18, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 155 Posts

It seems awful presumptuous of Alex to effectively name herself Ruby's guardian. Sam did have other friends.
Old 06-02-18, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mwbmis
It seems awful presumptuous of Alex to effectively name herself Ruby's guardian. Sam did have other friends.
Lena might want the job too.
Old 06-02-18, 08:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Maybe her and Alex can date. You never know with this show.
Why is it nearly every show now has a gay man or a lesbian or both when their total numbers of the population would seem to argue against it. It's the same with interracial couples, nearly every show has to have at least 1 couple where again while not rare isn't really at the numbers suggested. Interracial marriages are around 15% of the US population. Gay men are ~2%, lesbians ~1%. Yet watching TV you'd get the impression that it's much higher. It's almost like they studios are trying to influence public opinion by making LGBTQ and interracial seem normal.
Old 06-02-18, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by randian
Lena might want the job too.
It's worth noting that when Lena took full responsibility Ruby was safe. Since Alex inserted herself into the situation Ruby has almost been killed a couple of times. But she did let her dye part of her hair blue so she's like a cool Mom.

Last edited by mwbmis; 06-02-18 at 09:18 PM.
Old 06-03-18, 12:33 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by barelypure
Why is it nearly every show now has a gay man or a lesbian or both when their total numbers of the population would seem to argue against it. It's the same with interracial couples, nearly every show has to have at least 1 couple where again while not rare isn't really at the numbers suggested. Interracial marriages are around 15% of the US population. Gay men are ~2%, lesbians ~1%. Yet watching TV you'd get the impression that it's much higher. It's almost like they studios are trying to influence public opinion by making LGBTQ and interracial seem normal.
You do realize Greg Berlanti is a big advocate for LGBTQ causes, correct?
Old 06-03-18, 11:03 AM

This goes beyond Berlanti. It's pervasive throughout TV. I'm sure they'll argue they're trying to appeal to the broadest audience possible but it could be argued that it's a subliminal message for acceptance.
Old 06-04-18, 02:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This goes beyond Berlanti. It's pervasive throughout TV. I'm sure they'll argue they're trying to appeal to the broadest audience possible but it could be argued that it's a subliminal message for acceptance.
Subliminal would suggest you're not aware of it. I don't think that applies. So let's just say it's an in your face message of acceptance.

You used the word "normal" above and quoted some percentages. I was left wondering what percentage threshold you require before you consider something normal. Something can occur at a low percentage and still be normal. You say interracial marriages are 15% of the U.S. population and if I'm reading you correctly, that causes you to conclude they're not normal. Blacks are 13% of the population. What do you conclude from that?

I see what you're referring to, though. I watched The Tale this weekend on HBO and Laura Dern was with Common as a couple. I'll admit I had a moment of a few "odd couple" thoughts in my head, but I got over it and moved on with watching the movie. For the record, I don't consider interracial couples abnormal, and I usually don't even bat an eye, but I don't think I could remove the real people from the equation in that instance and it was just Odd Couple city for me.

If creators want to slide in a little acceptance into shows, I'm OK with that. What some people (I stopped watching Supergirl long ago for other reasons) object to with Supergirl is it appears to be pushing an agenda rather than providing casual exposure/acceptance. There's a line, and it differs for different people.
Old 06-04-18, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Laura Dern has kids with an ex husband who's a Black Man and briefly dated Common in real life according to the interwebs.
Old 06-04-18, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Eric F
You do realize Greg Berlanti is a big advocate for LGBTQ causes, correct?
Exactly. He is Gay and recently married his partner. I just watched some of a DC panel led by Berlanti about LGBTQ characters/actors on his DC shows.

Old 06-04-18, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Is it AGENDA? Or REPRESENTATION? If agenda, what's the end game? Make all your kids gay? If representation, why would anyone care?

My theory is...if the CW shows were better than they are the Gay storylines would be mostly be ignored. Mostly because there will always be some out there not happy. But because many CW DC shows, Supergirl in particular, have been deemed not that great, the Gay stuff sticks out as just one of the many nitpicky pile-on criticisms.
Old 06-04-18, 12:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Is it AGENDA? Or REPRESENTATION? If agenda, what's the end game? Make all your kids gay? If representation, why would anyone care?

My theory is...if the CW shows were better than they are the Gay storylines would be mostly be ignored. Mostly because there will always be some out there not happy. But because many CW DC shows, Supergirl in particular, have been deemed not that great, the Gay stuff sticks out as just one of the many nitpicky pile-on criticisms.
If the writing were better nobody would really care or notice.
Old 06-04-18, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 155 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo

Originally Posted by Eric F
If the writing were better nobody would really care or notice.
See The 100. It’s organic on that show and leads to better integration and storytelling.
Old 06-04-18, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Kdogg
See The 100. It’s organic on that show and leads to better integration and storytelling.
So please.. do tell, how are the Gays on Berlanti shows "not organic"? Having not seen The 100, I'll accept your opinion that the show may have better writing. But yall do know there is no one way for Gays to get together right? There is no, "This is how Gays Meet/Fuck/Fall in Love" rule book Hollywood has to adhere too. Gays can do all those things and be just as messy and clumsy as hetero folks.
Old 06-04-18, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The problem isn't homosexuals on Supergirl, the problem is romance plots (of any sexuality) on Supergirl. I simply don't care who hooks up with who, if I wanted a romance plot I'd watch something else.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.