Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Mowgli (2018, D: Serkis) Bale, Blanchett, Cumberbatch, Pinto, Chand -- Netflix

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-18, 01:13 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/GpxCT36DxKg" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Motion capture and live action are blended for “Mowgli,” a new, big-screen, 3D adaptation of Rudyard Kipling’s classic The Jungle Book. The film features an impressive roster of stars under the direction of Andy Serkis.

The story follows the upbringing of the human child Mowgli, raised by a wolf pack in the jungles of India. As he learns the often harsh rules of the jungle, under the tutelage of a bear named Baloo and a panther named Bagheera, Mowgli becomes accepted by the animals of the jungle as one of their own. All but one: the fearsome tiger Shere Khan. But there may be greater dangers lurking in the jungle, as Mowgli comes face to face with his human origins.

The actors performing the roles of the story’s central animal characters are: Oscar winner Christian Bale (“The Fighter,” the “Dark Knight” Trilogy) as the cunning panther, Bagheera; Oscar winner Cate Blanchett (“Blue Jasmine,” “The Aviator”) as the sinister snake, Kaa; Oscar nominee Benedict Cumberbatch (“The Imitation Game,” “Avengers: Infinity War”) as the fearsome tiger, Shere Khan; Oscar nominee Naomie Harris (“Moonlight,” “Skyfall”) as Nisha, the female wolf, who adopts the baby Mowgli as one of her cubs; and Andy Serkis (the “Planet of the Apes” trilogy, “Star Wars: The Last Jedi”) as the wise bear, Baloo. On the human side, Matthew Rhys (“The Post”) is Lockwood; Freida Pinto (“Knight of Cups”) is Messua; and young actor Rohan Chand (“The Hundred-Foot Journey,” “Bad Words”) will play Mowgli, the boy raised by wolves.

Rounding out the cast are Peter Mullan (“Tommy’s Honour”), as the leader of the wolf pack, Akela; Jack Reynor (“Transformers: Age of Extinction”), as Mowgli’s brother Wolf; Eddie Marsan (TV’s “Ray Donovan”), as Nisha’s mate, Vihaan; and Tom Hollander (“Breathe”) as the scavenging hyena, Tabaqui.

“Mowgli” is produced by Steve Kloves (“Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them”), Jonathan Cavendish (“Breathe,” performance capture producer on “Godzilla”), and David Barron (the “Harry Potter” films), with Nikki Penny serving as executive producer. The screenplay is by Kloves’ daughter, Callie Kloves.

Serkis’s creative filmmaking team includes director of photography Michael Seresin (“War for the Planet of the Apes”), production designer Gary Freeman (“Tomb Raider”) and editors Mark Sanger (Oscar winner, “Gravity”), Alex Marquez (“Snowden”) and Jeremiah O’Driscoll (“Flight”). The music is composed by Nitin Sawhney (“Breathe”).

Only in theaters October 19.
Old 05-21-18, 01:41 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
re: Mowgli (2018, D: Serkis) Bale, Blanchett, Cumberbatch, Pinto, Chand -- Netflix

Looks good I guess. Just weird we're getting a nearly identical movie barely 2 years after the Disney live action one. Doesn't seem like this is needed.
Old 05-21-18, 01:49 PM

re: Mowgli (2018, D: Serkis) Bale, Blanchett, Cumberbatch, Pinto, Chand -- Netflix

Originally Posted by E Unit
Looks good I guess. Just weird we're getting a nearly identical movie barely 2 years after the Disney live action one. Doesn't seem like this is needed.
It was originally supposed to come out a few months after the Disney one, which is even weirder.

But yes, very unnecessary.
Old 05-21-18, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

At first glance I thought this thread was going to be about a Gremlins prequel.
Old 05-21-18, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Yawn.
Old 05-21-18, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Looks good. Never did see the Disney version but this one looks harder edge than the other one. IMO
Old 05-21-18, 04:17 PM
Banned by request

The Disney one had its share of harder edge moments. More akin to the actual Kipling story - which this one seems to also be another faithful adaptation.
Old 05-22-18, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I hope the CG gets better closer to release because it looks pretty weak here.
Old 05-22-18, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Originally Posted by E Unit
Yeah, when I saw some stills from this one, I thought it was from the movie that was just released and wondered why they were talking about it again.

I've never had any interest in any Jungle Book story aside from the Disney cartoon.

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
At first glance I thought this thread was going to be about a Gremlins prequel.
That's mogwai, you walnut
Old 05-22-18, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

Wow... another one.

DJ Khalid.
Old 05-22-18, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

I don't think this is going to be a carbon copy of the Disney version. I can tell from the synopsis that they're going more for the books (it was a series that later got collected). Some of the details from the books that have never been done are present (Bagheera's past as a royal pet, Shere Khan walking with a limp, Mowgli actually meeting his inferred mother ), which gives me some hope. However, I will agree that the FX work needs some improvement for this to go over and get people to not see it as a copycat job. Given that this is being directed by the master of motion capture, I am hoping it gets another run through the computer.
Old 05-22-18, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This looks like it could be very good.
An adult version, as opposed to the Disney sugar.
Old 05-22-18, 10:57 PM
Banned by request

I assume you’re talking about the Disney animated version. The Disney live one was far from sugar.
Old 07-27-18, 12:00 PM

Another studio dumping a film to Netflix:

EXCLUSIVE: Welcome to the jungle that is this fast-shifting movie meld between theatrical release and streaming. In the biggest acquisition of a finished film it has made so far, Netflix has acquired from Warner Bros the worldwide rights to Mowgli, the CGI live action film directed by Andy Serkis based on the Jungle Book stories of Rudyard Kipling.
https://deadline.com/2018/07/netflix...ch-1202434903/
Old 07-27-18, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Nice!
Old 07-27-18, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

I couldn't figure out the logic behind this one to begin with, but at least it'll be part of my monthly subscription
Old 11-08-18, 06:54 AM

<iframe width="668" height="376" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/OVBjPpUlQrE" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

A new trailer for Andy Serkis’ Mowgli: Legend Of The Jungle debuted during Netflix’s slate event in Singapore, along with the release date. The new take on the Rudyard Kipling classic will make its way to theaters in an exclusive limited engagement beginning November 29 in Los Angeles, New York, San Francisco, and London and then launch globally on Netflix December 7.

Last edited by dex14; 12-03-18 at 06:48 PM.
Old 11-08-18, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

YAWN?! Carbon copy?! Yeah...like we don't have enough of those already with the super hero movies and horror flicks that appear to be the same crap ad nauseam.

This looks good. I enjoyed the Disney remake but this appears to be closer to the source novel.
Old 12-03-18, 06:47 PM

Reviews are mixed: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/mow..._of_the_jungle
Old 12-03-18, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts
Re: Mowgli (2018, D: Serkis) Bale, Blanchett, Cumberbatch, Pinto, Chand -- Netflix

Reviews are better than I expected
Old 12-07-18, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Mowgli (2018, D: Serkis) Bale, Blanchett, Cumberbatch, Pinto, Chand -- Netflix

This is live on Netflix.