Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Friday Night Lights (D: Dowdle)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 05-09-18, 01:58 PM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts

“Stronger” and “Pineapple Express” helmer David Gordon Green is in final negotiations to direct Universal’s reimagining of “Friday Night Lights.”

Sources tell Variety that the movie is not a sequel to Universal’s 2004 film starring Billy Bob Thornton, nor is it based on NBC’s TV series with Kyle Chandler. Instead, it’s a new property, though still focused H.G. Bissinger’s non-fiction book about the 1988 Permian High School Panthers as the new Texas football team makes a run towards the state championship.

The original film, directed by Peter Berg, brought in a modest $61 million at the domestic box office. The property gained momentum when NBC and Berg turned it into a TV series, which garnered critical acclaim as well as an Emmy win for Chandler in its five-year run.

Since the show ended, Universal has thrown around the high idea of returning to the Texas city of Odessa, considering both a sequel to the Thorton film and feature film based on the Chandler character. The studio finally decided to pursue a story with a completely different setting and cast of characters, while still focused on the world of high school in Texas and the impact it has the community.

Brian Grazer will produce for Imagine Entertainment. Executive VP of production Jon Mone and creative executive Lexi Barta will oversee production for Universal.

Robert Schenkkan penned the script. His recent credits include “Hacksaw Ridge” and the Tony Award winning play “All The Way.” He is repped by WME.

Green most recently directed the Jake Gyllenhaal-starrer “Stronger,” which center on the 2013 Boston Marathon bombing.

Green is repped by CAA.
http://variety.com/2018/film/news/fr...en-1202720026/
Old 05-09-18, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 801 Likes on 591 Posts
re: Friday Night Lights (D: Dowdle)

I really liked the original movie, but I loved the tv series. I'm interested to see David Gordon Green's take on it. He's one of my favorite directors. I'm all in for a Coach Taylor movie if they ever decide to make one.
Old 05-09-18, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

No.
Old 05-09-18, 02:50 PM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts

I too am in the camp of leaving the property be. DGG must have had an interesting and persuading pitch on where to take this.
Old 05-09-18, 02:54 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It won’t top the show.
Old 05-09-18, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 374 Likes on 272 Posts

why not just name it something else?
Old 05-09-18, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts

Originally Posted by jpcamb
it didn't stop the Halloween sequels and the new one.

I guess because it's still technically based on Bissinger's book and High School Football is on Friday Nights around the country, especially in Texas.
Old 05-09-18, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by jpcamb
That's my take as well. Of course they are trying to use the name to boost the new film. As a fan of the film and TV show, I would relish a revisit to Odessa or Dillon, but don't know that I would really care about it all that much if it is different characters. I want to see a continuation of either the film or TV show.
Old 05-09-18, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 285 Likes on 209 Posts

Oh for fuck's sake. The movie is only 14 years old and the far superior television series ended just 7 years ago. And it was perfect, one of my all-time favorite TV dramas in fact. Hollywood, leave it alone!
Old 05-09-18, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
it didn't stop the Halloween sequels and the new one.
Friday Night Lights: Season of the Witch

Six more days till Homecoming, Homecoming, Homecoming...
Old 05-09-18, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts

The Billy Bob movie has been on cable a bunch lately. I've watched it a couple times. It's a good movie but it just doesn't hold a candle to the tv series (which I just started rewatching as well).

I guess I could be down for another movie in that "universe."
Old 05-10-18, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Drexl
Friday Night Lights: Season of the Witch

Six more days till Homecoming, Homecoming, Homecoming...
Friday Night the 13th! A paralyzed Jason Street is possessed by the spirit of Jason Vorhees. Wackiness ensues.
Old 11-22-19, 07:54 AM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts

Universal has tapped John Erick Dowdle to direct the Friday Night Lights remake, replacing David Gordon Green, who had to exit the project due to conflicts with his work on the Halloween franchise.

Dowdle will polish up the script with his brother Drew, who will serve as an executive producer. The latest version of the script was written by Green and Josh Parkinson, with an earlier draft by Robert Schenkkan (Hacksaw Ridge).

Based on the 1990 book by H.G. Bissinger, Universal originally adapted Friday Night Lights into a 2004 feature film that starred Billy Bob Thornton and chronicled the economically depressed town of Odessa, Texas, and its high school football team. A Connie Britton and Kyle Chandler-led TV drama followed and aired from 2006-2011.

Brian Grazer will produce the new pic for Imagine Entertainment, with Joshua Bearman and Joshua Davis set to executive produce. Sara Scott and Lexi Barta will oversee production for Universal. Karen Lunder will oversee for Imagine.

The Dowdle brothers already have some Friday Night Lights in their DNA. The duo were showrunners on the Paramount Network limited series Waco, which saw former Friday Night Lights star Taylor Kitsch play Branch Davidian leader David Koresh. They are repped by CAA, Novo and Weintraub Tobin.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...edium=referral