Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

What an Institution: The Story of Police Academy -- Feature length documentary

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-18, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

What an Institution!: The Story of Police Academy

From the makers of Pennywise: The Story of IT, Leviathan: The Story of Hellraiser & Hellbound: Hellraiser II, You’re so cool, Brewster! The Story of Fright Night and RoboDoc: The Creation of RoboCop comes What an Institution!: The Story of Police Academy
The most in-depth look into the making of the 1984 classic ‘Police Academy’ and its sequels/legacy. This documentary will unearth all the behind the scenes stories of the making of this cult-comedy classic movie and its lasting legacy!

With RoboDoc in post-production along with Pennywise and both coming along amazingly (updates very soon) Chris, Gary, Adam and Mikey are at it again... this time they are taking on one of the 1980s best-loved comedies 'POLICE ACADEMY'... Please check out the page and show some love by sharing and liking. Join the farce very soon!

About
A feature length documentary on the legacy of Police Academy and its sequels. The Police Academy movies were a mainstay in the comedy genre of the 1980s and early 1990s with the first film being released in 1984 and spawning 6 sequels.

Plot Outline
Now after 30-years the cast and crew of the Police Academy movies join forces with the makers of 'RoboDoc: The Creation of RoboCop' 'Pennywise: The Story of IT' and 'You're so Cool, Brewster! The Story of Fright Night' to bring you 'What an Institution! The Story of Police Academy'

Starring
Paul Maslansky, Robert Folk, Fern Champion, Neal Israel, David Trifunovich, Melissa Skoff, Leslie Easterbrook, Donovan Scott, Peter Van Norden, Julie Brown, Shawn Weatherly....

SO FAR!!! MORE TO COME

Directed By
Gary Smart

Written By
Gary Smart

Produced By
Chris Griffiths. Adam Evans. Michael Perez

I saw this pop up on Facebook today. Sounds like it's in the planning stages. But, the previous films from this production team relied on kickstarter funds. I wonder if there will be enough interest in this to get it into production.

Noticed that Steve Guttenberg, Michael Winslow and GW Bailey aren't listed in the planned interviews yet. If they can't get any of those 3, you might as well not do this film.

Last edited by DJariya; 05-02-18 at 04:05 PM.
Old 05-02-18, 04:18 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
Re: What an Institution: The Story of Police Academy -- Feature length documentary

Eh, even if they do, I’m not sure I’d be that interested. And I watched all of them over and over growing up.
Old 05-02-18, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: What an Institution: The Story of Police Academy -- Feature length documentary

I never heard of the RoboDoc film, that sounds interesting!
Old 05-02-18, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I never heard of the RoboDoc film, that sounds interesting!

https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk...op-2017-a.html

There's a thread about it here with trailer. It's been in production for about 2 years now.

Unfortunately Peter Weller is not participating in it.

This film is from the same production team.
Old 05-02-18, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by DJariya
https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk...op-2017-a.html

There's a thread about it here with trailer. It's been in production for about 2 years now.

Unfortunately Peter Weller is not participating in it.

This film is from the same production team.
Yeah, the "from the makers of..." in the article and repeated mention of it made it clear it was from the same people
Old 05-02-18, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,200 Likes on 2,065 Posts

Outside of the first Police Academy movie, which was goofy 80s fun, the other films are pretty terrible (even by 80s cheesiness standards). I can’t imagine anyone has any interest in watching a feature length documentary about any of them.

And with David Graf, George Gaines, and Bubba Smith no longer with us, not being able to get Guttenburg or Winslow to be interviewed would kill all interest. I’d also doubt Kim Cattrall would be interested in participating either. I don’t think anyone would be interested in 2 hours of GW Bailey and that quite talking lady being interviewed.
Old 05-02-18, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

So that leaves an entire documentary to Bobcat Goldthwait?
Old 05-02-18, 08:12 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The special features on the DVDs interviewed just about everyone, including some who are no longer around. Good enough.
Old 05-02-18, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 422 Likes on 305 Posts

That’s great, but the whole series still isn’t on Blu-ray in the US, or should I just import the all regions set.
Old 05-02-18, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by JackoOnHisBacko
I have to say that in my opinion, all those Police Academy movies really sucked. But I must admit that one girl/woman I hooked up with at that time (~1992-93) had an amazingly sweet, wet pussy, and really liked being the sub to my dominant one. I wish I realized how much she (you?) liked it, because I would love to pick up right where we left off... Heidi? Della? Are you out there? I went to IUP, and would love to meet up!
Old 05-02-18, 08:46 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

The production designer on all 5 films has my name. Think he got a credit screen all to himself in the first film, causing me to stand up and bow in the theater as my friends cheered.
Old 05-02-18, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by JackoOnHisBacko
I have to say that in my opinion, all those Police Academy movies really sucked. But I must admit that one girl/woman I hooked up with at that time (~1992-93) had an amazingly sweet, wet pussy, and really liked being the sub to my dominant one. I wish I realized how much she (you?) liked it, because I would love to pick up right where we left off... Heidi? Della? Are you out there? I went to IUP, and would love to meet up!
Old 05-02-18, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk God

I'm assuming if this film gets made, they will at least use archived interviews of Bubba Smith, Graf and George Gaines.

Not that anyone really has the time to watch a 2 hour documentary on the Police Academy series, but they absolutely need to get Guttenberg to participate. The current lineup they have scheduled to participate isn't that impressive. Sure Leslie Easterbrook was nice to look at for horny teens back in the 80s with her tight tops and massive cleavage. But, she wasn't really a big star in the series.
Old 05-02-18, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 450 Likes on 308 Posts

They should get Bill Clinton to participate.
Old 05-03-18, 06:51 AM

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
I proudly used this image to announce my wife's pregnancy
Old 08-04-21, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk God

Looks like this documentary is still in the works. One of the producers posted this on Twitter

Old 08-04-21, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,200 Likes on 2,065 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
And with David Graf, George Gaines, and Bubba Smith no longer with us, not being able to get Guttenburg or Winslow to be interviewed would kill all interest. I’d also doubt Kim Cattrall would be interested in participating either. I don’t think anyone would be interested in 2 hours of GW Bailey and that quite talking lady being interviewed.
Quoting myself from 3 years ago. I guess it’ll just be GW Bailey talking since Marion Ramsey passed away earlier this year.
Old 08-04-21, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 398 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Quoting myself from 3 years ago. I guess it’ll just be GW Bailey talking since Marion Ramsey passed away earlier this year.
Bobcat Goldthwaite might help out a fellow filmmaker.
Old 08-04-21, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

If you've watched any of the "supplemental features" on any number of blu-rays, there's plenty of ways to put together a documentary even if you don't have the direct participation of the major stars.
Old 08-04-21, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk God

Guttenberg and GW Bailey really aren't doing anything right now. I'm sure they will be interviewed in this film along with Michael Winslow.

and you can always use archived interviews of Gaines, Smith and Graf unless the producers of this film can't get the rights to them.
Old 08-04-21, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 155 Posts

Maybe they can get GW Bailey and Art Metrano together to talk about the differences in their characters.
Old 08-08-21, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

I'm still waiting for Warner Bros. to release the entire franchise on Blu-ray (I assume the hold the rights to all of them?)
Old 08-08-21, 06:52 PM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
I'm still waiting for Warner Bros. to release the entire franchise on Blu-ray (I assume the hold the rights to all of them?)
They did in the UK. The discs are region free. Police Academy 1-7: The Complete Collection [Blu-ray]
Amazon Amazon