Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

How long are users suspended?

Community
Search
Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-18, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

james2025a and Hazel Motes are still suspended.

No offense to Vin Vega who is an admin and I'm sure set down the hammer but it's been more than a week now? Forgive me but it seems kinda harsh for the longevity of the suspension. Given the little amount of traffic we have do you think we can keep the suspensions a bit more shorter? Considering too that they are regular long time members here.

It's not, and wasn't that serious.
Old 05-01-18, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts
Re: How long are users suspended?

It was too bad that situation got as ugly as it did.

I'd guess it was likely 2 weeks.

Seems like I recall a discussion one time about the process. Are a member's posting privileges automatically restored or does a mod have to set a reminder to do so manually?

If only we had a peek into the secret mod forum, all of these questions would be answered.
Old 05-02-18, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 450 Likes on 308 Posts

There's no built-in functionality in vBulletin to automatically change a user's class after a set period of time, so someone would have to do it manually.
Old 05-02-18, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

I have to say that the situation with James and hazel got way out of line. I think whatever punishment they get is appropriate.
Old 05-02-18, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,203 Likes on 1,506 Posts

I think it really depends on the situation and if the poster has been suspended before. I've seen old, resurrected threads involving some posters that have apparently been suspended for years. (I'm guessing that in those cases, the poster needed to do something or respond to something in order to get reinstated, but they never did).
Old 05-02-18, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

I seem to remember one mod saying he'd never remember to lift a suspension unless he got an e-mail about it.
Old 05-02-18, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
I seem to remember one mod saying he'd never remember to lift a suspension unless he got an e-mail about it.
Yeah, some have remained suspended for years.
Old 05-02-18, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

It is curious that they are still suspended, yet others that have done the same thing are not.
Old 05-02-18, 07:53 PM
Premium Member

Received 695 Likes on 465 Posts

From the old days, I think the offender was PM'd the duration and was to PM back the Admin/Mod when that time was up to get re-instated.

Who here is going to take the bullet and report back?
Old 05-02-18, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

No offense, but I found some posts by one of them extremely unpleasant and borderline hostile pre-incident. I think he needs time to cool off and be away from this forum. He was a time bomb waiting to explode. Seems like he had some other issues going on with his life as well.
Old 05-02-18, 08:37 PM
Admin

Received 466 Likes on 306 Posts

They are both suspended for 2 weeks. They are eligible to come back on May 6th.
Old 05-03-18, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hey Vin, just curious, does "eligible" mean that when the suspension is up they would need to contact an admin/mod to get reinstated, it doesn't just happen automatically? If so, I guess that would explain users who have been suspended for years. Maybe they just think "Fuck those guys!" and never bother to try and get reinstated?
Old 05-04-18, 12:07 PM
Admin

Received 466 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by cultshock
Hey Vin, just curious, does "eligible" mean that when the suspension is up they would need to contact an admin/mod to get reinstated, it doesn't just happen automatically? If so, I guess that would explain users who have been suspended for years. Maybe they just think "Fuck those guys!" and never bother to try and get reinstated?
I have to remember to do it. With this thread out here, there's a pretty good chance I will remember on Sunday to let them back into the pool.

Sometimes someone gets suspended and we just forget and they don't bother contacting us either. Sometimes people sign up with bad email addresses and they never get our emails telling them the length of the suspension. There's really not a fool proof system in place to show who's suspended and why. We have threads in the super secret mod forum, but you have to read through them. The process right now is very manual and subject to human failure.
Old 05-04-18, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Got it, thanks for the explanation.
Old 05-06-18, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 450 Likes on 308 Posts

You guys should set up a system to make sure you get reminded to unsuspend people when their suspension period is up. For example, you could make a new shared Google account that forwards its e-mails to all the admins. Then, when a suspension is handed out, just make a calendar entry on the suspension end date with an e-mail notification. You can put whatever notes you need to know in the calendar entry too. Then, all the admins will get e-mailed at the appropriate time and someone can unsuspend the account.
Old 05-06-18, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts

thefunisback @gmail
Old 05-06-18, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by VinVega
I have to remember to do it. With this thread out here, there's a pretty good chance I will remember on Sunday to let them back into the pool.

Sometimes someone gets suspended and we just forget and they don't bother contacting us either. Sometimes people sign up with bad email addresses and they never get our emails telling them the length of the suspension. There's really not a fool proof system in place to show who's suspended and why. We have threads in the super secret mod forum, but you have to read through them. The process right now is very manual and subject to human failure.
That's interesting thanks for sharing. I had thought the system for banning/suspending was automatic. Shame it isn't automatic so the work load is off your shoulders.

I would suggest a ban/suspend sticky thread in the mod forum and update it as users get thrown in the chamber.
Old 05-07-18, 09:39 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sonic
I would suggest a ban/suspend sticky thread in the mod forum and update it as users get thrown in the chamber.