Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Dubbing VHS to DVD

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-18, 12:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dubbing VHS to DVD

I picked up a Toshiba D-VR3SU on ebay, to dub some VHS tapes to DVD.
When I insert a DVD-R disc to record, it ejects after a few seconds, not sure why (of course, it could simply be a broken machine, but it plays DVDs with no problems). Any ideas? Thanks!
Old 04-29-18, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,885 Posts
Re: Dubbing VHS to DVD

Here's the owner's manual if you didn't get one with your purchase.

https://www.manualslib.com/products/...su-383787.html
Old 04-30-18, 02:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 362 Likes on 214 Posts

Did you try a different brand of DVD-R? How about a DVD-RAM or DVD-RW disc? I would also ask you question over at AVS Forum in Dvd Recorders (Standard Def) thread.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/106-dv...-standard-def/
Old 04-30-18, 05:43 AM

Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts

Just a guess, but perhaps it only records on DVD+R and not DVD-R. The manual should help you if that's the case.
Old 04-30-18, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 131 Likes on 102 Posts

Make sure the disc is really blank. Sometimes a disc can burn 1% and fail making the disc appear to be blank even though it no longer is.

Make sure the open/close button isn't sticky causing the drive to continue opening.

The rubber drive belt could be brittle causing it to behave erratically.

Make sure it really is a DVD-R, not a CD-R - sorry, this does sometimes happen to people.

Make sure it's not a dual-layer disc if the recorder only accepts single-layer.
Old 04-30-18, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by slybone
Just a guess, but perhaps it only records on DVD+R and not DVD-R. The manual should help you if that's the case.
I checked the manual & it only burns to DVD-R, DVD-RAM, DVD-RW & CD-R. can't believe people still use CD-R.
Old 04-30-18, 07:30 PM

Thanks everyone. These are new Verbatim DVD-R discs. Certainly could be a defective button or drive belt, although it plays discs flawlessly.
Old 04-30-18, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

Sounds like a problem with the laser not recognizing the blank discs, but still being able to play regular ones. That happened with a Philips I had, one of the first affordable DVD recorders, had to throw it out eventually. Sad that these things are harder to find now, but seems that more people are capturing video to their computers and burning to disc from there.
Old 04-30-18, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by weamish
Thanks everyone. These are new Verbatim DVD-R discs. Certainly could be a defective button or drive belt, although it plays discs flawlessly.
Are these the Verbatim AZO or Life Series Recordable Dvd-r?
Old 05-01-18, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Will it play burned DVD-R discs, or does it just spit out blanks?
Old 01-21-19, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 249 Likes on 176 Posts

Having owned 4 standalone dvd recorders over the years, 3 Panasonic, 1 Toshiba, the first thing that always goes out is the ability to read a blank disc. They will almost...just about make it...then the CANNOT READ message comes up. Did you buy this new? I worked mine to death and got several years out of each before this problem arose.
Old 03-03-19, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

Does Magnavox still make dvd recorders for the USA?

It's a major headache trying to figure out how to edit .

Do they still make dvd recorders for Europe and Asia?
Old 03-03-19, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by rw2516
Having owned 4 standalone dvd recorders over the years, 3 Panasonic, 1 Toshiba, the first thing that always goes out is the ability to read a blank disc. They will almost...just about make it...then the CANNOT READ message comes up. Did you buy this new? I worked mine to death and got several years out of each before this problem arose.
I brought the following Panasonic Dvd Recorders.

1. DMR-E10
2. DMR-E20
3. DMR-HS2 - broke & still in closet
4. DMR-E80H
5. DMR-E100H
6. DMR-E500H - broke still in closet
7. DMR-E75v - Found this brand new in Don Quoite at a time when you could not find Panny Dvd recorders. Sold it for 4-5 times what I paid for it.

Old 03-04-19, 03:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life
Does Magnavox still make dvd recorders for the USA?
I don’t think anyone has made console DVD recorders for years.

Sounds like they’re still available internationally, though.

https://www.lifewire.com/disappearin...corder-1846591
Old 03-31-19, 06:14 PM

Howdy,

I just joined the forum and cannot figure out how to begin a new thread, so please forgive me for "hijacking" this one. I have a major problem and need some advice -- if anyone here knows anything about the Panasonic DMR-E80H DVD recorder with hard drive.

For the second time (happened about 9 months ago), I was in the process of dubbing some HDD content onto a blank DVD this afternoon when I got an ERROR screen. As I feared, some sort of problem came up (just like the first tie) and it wants me to reformat the HDD. Naturally, all recorded content is erased when this happens -- I lost over 100 recordings the first time it happened and I have another 100 recordings on it this time.

Fortunately I have most of the content already backed up, so I won't lose a lot. But, before I click okay to let it reformat, I wanted to check and see if there is some technical trick I can do to restore the HDD content without having to reformat.

Has this happened to anyone else out there? This has been a fantastic machine for me for a decade & a half and literally has hundreds of thousands of "miles" on it. I live in constant fear of it breaking down on me because I still use SD DVDs, VHS, etc.

I really hate to erase everything I have on the HDD until I've exhausted all avenues of alternatives. I'd hate to find out that I only had to press this, unplug for a while, etc, to rectify whatever is wrong. So I'm just tossing this thread out as a last minute prayer for anyone who might have some magic tip for me to try.

Thanks much!
Chuck
Old 03-31-19, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have the same brand recorder.

It no longer works.

Another thing is all my DVD RAM discs no longer work(they weren't made too last very long).

However,I also have the Pioneer DVR-640H and bought 3 more off ebay last summer(for each TV set).

This recorder is much better than the Panasonic(it records beyond 6 hours and has a juke box and will play MP3's without a problem).

There is still one available on ebay(it isn't cheap). Less than 200 dollars . It say's the front panel light dim's but that's no big deal.

You could transfer all the stuff in your hard drive over to the Pioneer(if you go ahead and buy it).
Old 04-01-19, 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life
I have the same brand recorder.

It no longer works.

Another thing is all my DVD RAM discs no longer work(they weren't made too last very long).

However,I also have the Pioneer DVR-640H and bought 3 more off ebay last summer(for each TV set).

This recorder is much better than the Panasonic(it records beyond 6 hours and has a juke box and will play MP3's without a problem).

There is still one available on ebay(it isn't cheap). Less than 200 dollars . It say's the front panel light dim's but that's no big deal.

You could transfer all the stuff in your hard drive over to the Pioneer(if you go ahead and buy it).

Hi,

Sadly, the DMR-E80H reformatted itself after I declined to give it permission. Kind of did it on its own, I guess. This has been a fantastic machine for many years and I have literally used the HDD to record hundreds of DVDs. But it's now about 16 years old and no hard drive lasts forever, I guess.

Sorry to hear about your RAM discs. I was going to purchase a stack of them last week until I saw that the prices are up in the stratosphere since the decline of the DVD. I've seen a brand new DMR-E80H on eBay, but they are asking over $1,000. I'll have to check into the Pioneer DVR-640H. Does its hard drive edit similar to the Panasonic's?
Old 04-01-19, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by HighlanderCFH
Hi,

Sadly, the DMR-E80H reformatted itself after I declined to give it permission. Kind of did it on its own, I guess. This has been a fantastic machine for many years and I have literally used the HDD to record hundreds of DVDs. But it's now about 16 years old and no hard drive lasts forever, I guess.

Sorry to hear about your RAM discs. I was going to purchase a stack of them last week until I saw that the prices are up in the stratosphere since the decline of the DVD. I've seen a brand new DMR-E80H on eBay, but they are asking over $1,000. I'll have to check into the Pioneer DVR-640H. Does its hard drive edit similar to the Panasonic's?
Same editing features as the Panasonic.

It also uses DVD-RW discs which I can't remember if the Panasonic does or not.

You can buy the remote off of ebay since the one remaining unit doesn't have one.

I still have stuff sitting in the Panasonic hard drive. Just can't record or play back discs with it.

Getting back to the Pioneer,It features really out number the Panasonic and it will make you forget about the Panasonic quickly.

Avoid the modern day Magnavox DVD recorders unless you are only interested in the hard drive.
Old 04-19-20, 01:53 PM

Hi this is my first using the forum I have a magnavox vhs dvr recorder and when i try to put a vhs tape in it will not accept it. dvd side works ok.
Old 04-19-20, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by djlrdad
Hi this is my first using the forum I have a magnavox vhs dvr recorder and when i try to put a vhs tape in it will not accept it. dvd side works ok.
If you want to burn VHS to DVD, you could probably get an old standalone VHS player and connect it to the Maganavox VHS/DVD Recorder via composite RCA cables as long as the recorder is set to (or able to) record from from inputs other than the built-in VHS.